Being a mother and working for MAC?

xdanielleax

Hi everyone :) So, it's always been a dream of mine to work for MAC. I've been a licensed cosmetologist for a few years now but I haven't worked in about 2 years. I have a 4 year old little girl, almost 5, she starts school in Sept. and I have a 1 year old son. This question is for all the mothers out there and the MAC employees who work with moms. How do you do it? I know working in retail you need to have flexible hours. So how do you balance that with being a parent? Are you making enough to cover the cost of daycare and actually make a profit? I'd really love to go back to work but I need to convince my husband that it would be worth it and that I wouldn't just be working to cover daycare. What kind of availability do you have? Thanks so much :)

LC

I worked there and had a 2 year old daughter at the time, but my circumstances were a little different because between my boyfriend and grandmother, i had child care taken care of.

They pay roughly 15-20$ an hour (depending on where you live), so if you're able to find a day care that lets you do drop in days so that you don't have to pay for the whole week, then it would work out. But usually daycares close at 6, and sometimes you'll need to work til 9 or 10pm. good luck! it's definitely a fun job and a great experience

xdanielleax

Thanks so much for replying back to me LC. I didn't know MAC paid that well. Is that just in the freestanding stores or the counters as well. 2 years ago I was working at Ulta. I would work back and forth between prestige and the salon and they only paid $8/hr. which is ludicrous! I was working for gas and daycare and that was it!

LC

both counters and stores will pay that way :)

mac puts girls through 3-4 interviews and it's really difficult to get in with them as a perm employee, so they know they deserve to get paid well if they can get hired there

SarahC0612

Danielle,
A suggestion: A good way to get in with MAC is to audition for their freelance team. This is a position they offer where you are placed on a list of people they will call when they need additional help either for launches, or if they are short handed with staff. They call you and ask if you can work and if you can't it's okay you just tell them no. I have been freelancing for MAC for about a year and I LOVE it. It works for me because I have a full time day job that I can't give up right now (otherwise, I would take a permanent position with them in a heartbeat). If you do well and work well with them, they can consider hiring you as a permanent employee when openings come up. I have been approached a few times and have had to turn them down, much to my dismay! I've established a great relationship with my local freestanding store, and so they tell me weeks in advance when they have hours so I can plan ahead. They also work with my schedule (Available evenings and weekends) and offer me shifts during those times first. If you could get them to work with you that way and save shifts for you that were at times that your husband was available to watch the kids, you'd be set. Pay for freelancers is at the low end of the pay scale for a perm. employee (so not much different).

If you are interested in freelancing for Mac, read up on some of the threads about it here on Specktra! The audition is not easy, many people do not make it their first time (I was one of 4 people out of about 30 selected from my audition). I credit my success to all I learned from the peeps here on Specktra. They have open freelance auditions about 2-4 times per year, depending on your area.

Good Luck!