BUSTED BIG TIME, TAMPA WOMAN -Pasco woman admits she peddled $961,744 in fake MAC makeup

pumpkinspice

BUSTED BIG TIME, TAMPA WOMAN -Pasco woman admits she peddled $961,744 in fake MAC makeup

Wow seems she will get 10 years in prision and a 1 million fine
thanks to Homeland security!!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...she-peddled-961744-in-fake-mac-makeup/2194754

TAMPA — Homeland Security agents have been keeping America safe from bad makeup.

Lipstick bombs? Anthrax blush? Try counterfeit MAC.
Tina Oleszczuk, 44, of New Port Richey faces up to 10 years in prison after admitting in a plea agreement filed Tuesday that she sold at least $961,744 worth of knock-off MAC products made in China and packaged to resemble the real thing.
MAC, short for Make-up Art Cosmetics, is a subsidiary of Estée Lauder Cosmetics. Products are sold at department stores and free-standing MAC shops at high-end malls such as International Plaza.
Oleszczuk sold the fakes through an online company, Cozmetic Delights, as well as through eBay and directly to some wholesale customers, her signed plea agreement states.
Meanwhile, her website promised, "All cosmetics sold from Cozmetic Delights are 100% authentic and genuine and there are absolutely no imitations."
Oleszczuk and her company were criminally charged with trafficking in counterfeit goods.
From April 2012 to February, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents seized 4,060 fake MAC items worth $17,072 that were mailed to Oleszczuk, her family members or neighbors, the plea agreement states.
Homeland Security Investigations agents made purchases of $38 and $107 through Cozmetic Delights before questioning Oleszczuk and her husband, Robert, who were both listed in corporate records as managing members of the company.
No charges against the husband appear in the court file.
Tina Oleszczuk acknowledged that she had received customs notices informing her that counterfeit goods had been seized and that she had used alternate mailing addresses to stop the seizures, the record states.
Homeland Security agents found invoices reflecting $961,744.75 in sales. They also found bank records showing nearly $1.4 million in deposits to a Cozmetic Delights account.
Under terms of the agreement, Oleszczuk would be responsible for repaying MAC the lesser amount, though U.S. District Judge James D. Whittemore would have the final say. Before that can happen, Oleszczuk will likely appear before a magistrate judge to formalize her plea.

GlamDiaries

Whoa that is insane!!! I remember when I was around 20 and JUSt getting into makeup I bought a fake mac lipstick and had no idea it was fake. The colour was actually pretty nice but obviously the texture wasn't like the real thing. Fake MAC as well as many other fake cosmetics, bags etc is a sad issue and many fall prey to it.

pumpkinspice

Whoa that is insane!!! I remember when I was around 20 and JUSt getting into makeup I bought a fake mac lipstick and had no idea it was fake. The colour was actually pretty nice but obviously the texture wasn't like the real thing. Fake MAC as well as many other fake cosmetics, bags etc is a sad issue and many fall prey to it.
I agree, I also was victim to fake mac when I first started buying it, lipsticks and pigments. She knew it and kept it up thats sad, and full knowing, she didnt care who got hurt as long as she made money, one less fake seller! Good for Homeland security!
love.gif

Stringbean

Wow, that is just scary as can be. There's no telling what is in some of those counterfeit products. It's bad enough people were scammed out of money, but I really hope that nobody's health was affected.

pumpkinspice

Wow, that is just scary as can be. There's no telling what is in some of those counterfeit products. It's bad enough people were scammed out of money, but I really hope that nobody's health was affected.
I feel the same, this is one of the biggest problems in retail, but makeup is at the top because people put it on their body, eyes, and lips. China has no problem with poisoning their own people/animals with lead, mercury additives. They have no FDA standards or any standards, they are notorious already for poisoning by contamination tons of baby formula, pet treats (chicken jerky, killed many USA pets not too long ago) and especially counterfeit makeup, and MAC is not the only one copied.

The FDA conducted a study in the journal "Campaign For Safe Cosmetics" says there is no safe level for lead, We have lead in our own lipsticks including MAC so imagine what levels are in unregulated counterfeits. This woman knowingly set up a licensed business, imported, and sold counterfeit cosmetics to the tune of over one million dollars; she is just a small part of this significant ongoing problem and she had no problem selling these to unsuspecting consumers, I’m glad she is going to jail and losing everything she made from her decision to deceive.

This section of Spectra is what prompted me to join, education is the key to stopping these types of sales and we need a working database for people to reference, the counterfeit trade will always be with us but the more we know the better decisions we can make.

morenomua

wow. she made over $1M scamming people. smh. a girl came into my store with a fake lipstick that looked like the rebel but had some weird name on it. I told her it wasn't authentic mac and how dangerous it could be apply that to her mouth

morenomua

wow. she made over $1M scamming people. smh. a girl came into my store with a fake lipstick that looked like the rebel but had some weird name on it. I told her it wasn't authentic mac and how dangerous it could be apply that to her mouth

Rebellefleur

thats crazy!!
I think she would have gotten a lot less than 10 years if she was in canada though.. American law is strict but she definitely deserved it. Im very lucky to have done my research very early on and havent been a victim of buying fake mac..however I knew of someone that has.. and the quads look very much like the real thing.. the pigmentation sucked though and again you never know what chemicals that stuff is laced with.

Jodylicious

Wow, Good thing they caught her!
I've only been into Mac for a few months, and the amounts of fakes i've already seen is terrifying!
It's all over the place, some of the limited editions knock offs are being sold for crazy high prices, and people unknowingly buy them.

sharkbait

The scariest part is just how much she made off of it and the fact that there are so many people out there who have been doing it for longer and have made several times what she made. It's sick to think the millions of dollars people have made scamming others (and possibly poisoning them in the process).

April Womack

I remember buying a counterfeit MAC Lipstick! I was so pissed! and to top it all of I knew it was too god to be true LOL. but I own quite a few MAC Lippies and new immediately it was fake. Fortunately I was able to get my money back. Hopefully some of these victims were too!

Latest posts