Cat and Dog Fur Trade Video *DISTURBING!!*

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
well unless you are raising your own animals for food/fur and killing them them yourself.... chances are they aren't being killed in a humane way.

Not really true. It comes down to consumer choice and the laws that are in place in a given country or state. Europe generally has much tougher and encompassing animal rights and livestock laws than the States and even Canada. For example, some practices are banned all together, like battery hens. That makes our eggs much more expensive in Switzerland than in N. America, but they taste better, are healthier, and also the chickens lived in a free range environment.

You can also pay a premium and buy organic meat. Here in Switzerland, organic meat is required by law to offer the animals a life appropriate for the species. This means the cows go to pasture, pigs get to roam in stys, and chickens get to roam outside and in a propper hen house. It also specifies how the animals are to be slaughtered humanely. They are also not fed any animal by-products or feed that has been chemically fertilized, even the soil has to be chemical and fertilizer free for several years before an organic cow is allowed to graze on it!

Organic meat is more expensive, but at least you know the animals had a great life and didn't have to suffer. The laws are extremely stringent regarding organic foods here and the farmers are constantly supervised and undergo controls. Organic food in general is getting much more popular because people are becoming more aware of all the hormones and animal by-products that are put into the livestock feed of many of the traditional farming methods. Plus, a lot of people don't want the animals to suffer.

Personally, I don't think it is wrong to kill and eat an animal, and to use its hide for fur or leather, as long as the animal had a good life and didn't suffer, and the carcass doesn't just go to waste (ie. breeding animals just for fur in heineous conditions like mink.)

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Not really true. It comes down to consumer choice and the laws that are in place in a given country or state. Europe generally has much tougher and encompassing animal rights and livestock laws than the States and even Canada. For example, some practices are banned all together, like battery hens. That makes our eggs much more expensive in Switzerland than in N. America, but they taste better, are healthier, and also the chickens lived in a free range environment.

You can also pay a premium and buy organic meat. Here in Switzerland, organic meat is required by law to offer the animals a life appropriate for the species. This means the cows go to pasture, pigs get to roam in stys, and chickens get to roam outside and in a propper hen house. It also specifies how the animals are to be slaughtered humanely. They are also not fed any animal by-products or feed that has been chemically fertilized, even the soil has to be chemical and fertilizer free for several years before an organic cow is allowed to graze on it!

Organic meat is more expensive, but at least you know the animals had a great life and didn't have to suffer. The laws are extremely stringent regarding organic foods here and the farmers are constantly supervised and undergo controls. Organic food in general is getting much more popular because people are becoming more aware of all the hormones and animal by-products that are put into the livestock feed of many of the traditional farming methods. Plus, a lot of people don't want the animals to suffer.

Personally, I don't think it is wrong to kill and eat an animal, and to use its hide for fur or leather, as long as the animal had a good life and didn't suffer, and the carcass doesn't just go to waste (ie. breeding animals just for fur in heineous conditions like mink.)

Are free range and organic interchangeable? I know in the US, they're typically paired together, but I don't see them as being the same.

I'd have less of a problem with most of these industries (I still wouldn't feel comfortable eating meat), if they were so damn wasteful.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Who wants to wear DOG AND CAT fur anyways!!?

when I pet my dog I don't think "aww yeah that would be awesome as a scarf!"

I love my dog to death but seriously.. His fur isn't super soft.. Its more of a course... pokey.. itchy type of fur..

When I was little, and I watched 101 Dalmatians, and Cruella Deville wanted to steal puppys to make coats I was so confused!! I was like " Puppys? what a freak!! .... NO one kills puppys to make coats!"

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Some people, when they buy stuff with fur on it, don't know or care about the source.

Thats true. like those Jackets with the fuzzy lined Hoods? I heard a lot of those(from china) contained dog fur.. which is.. totally nasty. ( I think theres a thread around here about it somewhere, you probably remember it)

flowerhead

Not being against fur (or meat, or ivory, or whatever animal product) is NOT the same thing as not caring HOW that fur (or whatever product) is obtained

but it's still barbaric, however it's obained.
the only thing i can agree with is vintage fur.

Beauty Mark

I wasn't trying to imply that. It's like the mass-marketed clothes industry. Some don't know, some don't care, some care but still buy it

*Stargazer*

I am opposed to killing animals for fur. I just don't see a purpose unless you live somewhere that it is freezing freakin' cold and then you might be likely to use the entire animal. That I have no issue with.

But at the same time, I agree that not all people who get fur from an animal do it inhumanely. Unfortunately, I think most probably do.

Oh, and a lot of the animal fur, like dog or cat, is used for those toys and decorations that are supposed to look like real animals. It makes me cringe.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Are free range and organic interchangeable? I know in the US, they're typically paired together, but I don't see them as being the same.

I'd have less of a problem with most of these industries (I still wouldn't feel comfortable eating meat), if they were so damn wasteful.

Free range doesn't automatically mean organic. Here in Europe, there is a certified symbol that is given to REAL organic foods, that have passed the strict organic regulations by food control. Some products say "organic" on it, but unless they have the certified organic symbol on them, they aren't organic, and are just using the word for marketing. So to buy absolutely organic foods, it has to have the symbol on it. There are also free-range eggs that aren't organic, maybe the feed they give the chicken isn't organic so they cannot be labeled as such. I don't know if the USA has such a certification method regarding organic produce.

Free range means the chickens are ideally not kept in battery coops, but are on the ground and free to walk around in the farmyard or an enclosed area, inside and outside, and have a propper henhouse to sleep in at night and to lay their eggs. It is not the same as just ground-kept chickens, who are kept outside battery coops, but sometimes are just kept in massive halls with poor conditions and little space to even move around.

It's in German, but here's a video to show how organic free range chickens live in Switzerland. Basically, a pretty awesome life! The report also goes on to say that it's scientifically proven that their eggs are healthier. Organic meat and eggs is pretty expensive in Switzerland because the farmers have much higher costs to produce, so I can't afford to buy it all the time, but I try to buy it as frequently as I can. Link to video

You can also check out this article on Wikipedia with the conundrums of free range eggs. Wiki article

FullWroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I don't know if the USA has such a certification method regarding organic produce.

We do have certification procedures for organic food. I'm not sure about the laws regarding animal products, but I know there's some controversy regarding the standards for fruits and veggies being certified organic here (the high-def fashion channel told me so! they were covering some fancy schmancy California restaurant that only used organic food and they interviewed organic farmers as a side-piece on organic food itself, see). All I learned from the organic farmer dude they interviewed is that the standards for organic certification used to be a lot more stringent, and now they've relaxed those standards, so stuff that wouldn't really be defined as organic by what our idea of organic is nonetheless gets the label on a strictly legal basis (for example, it's not that they don't use chemicals, it's that they use chemicals that "don't count" against their organic status... silly BS like that), which is once again screwing over the little guy as big corporations basically take the loophole to peddle non-organic organics to you crazy unwashed hippies (totally kidding there, btw, I like organic food too when it's actually organic, I'm just not willing or able to pay up the butt for it on a regular basis).

But I have no clue if animal products are treated similarly or if there's a similar controversy going on there. I also have no proof for anything I just said, except that I saw it on a TV interview, so I could be totally talking out my ass here for all I know.
th_dunno.gif

xxainixx

im speechless.... really. it's beyond sad, beyond words.... all i can that i hope these people gets their retribution.

animals are helpless... their beautiful and so full of love. why would people do that?

you know, humans are really the devils. ( i didnt mean to offend but this video.... )

Latest posts