Crazy problematic skin

sandboxx

Hello!
I'm new here and have a question regarding my skin and mineral makeup.

My skin is crazy-oily and I also have rosacea, so it tends to be red and sensitive. The problem is that I put on my makeup (right now I'm using EM, but any makeup I use does this) and it looks great and then I look in the mirror a few hours later and the coverage has faded, the makeup seems to settle in some places, and my face is an oil slick!

I've tried a couple things:
- mineral veil - helped, but effectiveness seems to be decreasing
- dr. feelgood by benefit - waste of $24
- mac prep and prime - not even a little bit

If anyone has any experience with these problems, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

PS - I just ordered samples of Alima and the Fyrinnae oil-control powder. Good idea?

Corvs Queen

Try MAC Oil Control Lotion. A little does the job for me plus the bottle lasts for a looooooonnnnnnnnggggggggg time.

astronaut

I too have the same problem. And does your foundation also change colour when your face gets oily? It does to me, and I'm currently trying to find a way to combat it as well. If you find a solution please let me know!

Skeeta

I havent, but i remember a girl entered into the tutorial comp here using moth brown, and she used Smashbox Primer with BE. Maybe you can track her down..?

mjacqueline

I have the same kind of problem. My face is very oily, after about two hours it shines like crazy. With MMU I use Proactiv's Daily Oil Control. It works for me. Hope this hpls.
smiles.gif

JoyC

DEFINITELY try Lumiere's 100% Silk Powders! for sure better than those silicone primers (ie. Smashbox) cause this is not pore clogging at all and it's actually good for your skin cause it's all natural silk proteins~ it works so great even in humid weather when i was in Asia~ it keeps my nose oil free all day~ makes my pores invisible and just soft focuses everything~ it's like photoshop in a jar! best of all~ it's cheap! btw i am not affilliated w/them~

SagMaria

Thanks SO much I will try them out!!!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyC
DEFINITELY try Lumiere's 100% Silk Powders! for sure better than those silicone primers (ie. Smashbox) cause this is not pore clogging at all and it's actually good for your skin cause it's all natural silk proteins~ it works so great even in humid weather when i was in Asia~ it keeps my nose oil free all day~ makes my pores invisible and just soft focuses everything~ it's like photoshop in a jar! best of all~ it's cheap! btw i am not affilliated w/them~

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMaria
Anyone used the Smashbox primer?

I use Smashbox primer under my mineral foundation. It works really great as a primer, but I doubt it really helps for an oily skin. The product has a smooth/greasy-like kind of touch to it, but it doesn't feel greasy once you apply it.

Have you tried using mineral veil before you apply your foundation as well? Which foundation are you using at the moment? Once I started using mineral foundation, my skin became less oily just because of the combination mineral foundation / veil.

As a general suggestion, using a facial scrub weekly does work wonders as well! I have a scrub specially for oily skin, it works great but it does make your skin sensitive the hours after it so it's best to use it before you go to sleep.

Taj

Its not what you put on right before your makeup, its how good you moisturize your skin the night before.

I was also scared by "moisturizer" in my old days as my face was oily enough. It took me quite some time to realize that Moisturizer does not mean oliy stuff, the watery fluid is comfort to wear. Once your skin is sufficiently moisturize, oil secretion would be reduced and your foundation would not be oxidized that easily !

Powder your face enough would reduce the shine and colour change Dust on your powder little by little until you don't feel the stickiness of your foundation. Too much powder however would deposit into your lines!

During hot summer days, when sweat and shiny face is unavoildable, I would recommend Smashbox Anti-shine products. The products pull your make-up together even under the extreme heat of the stage lights !

SerenityRaine

What do you use as far as your skincare regime? I'd recommend checking out Dermalogica's skincare line. I absolutely love them because they're products are all organic and none of that added crap that makes your skin break out (i.e fragrances, oils, etc). They just came out with an oil mattifier that I'm dying to try as soon as I have enough money (that isn't being to a LE MAC collection!). If you can find a retailer that sells Dermalogica you could probably score some samples. If you go to their website they do skin mapping which helps you find what products help you. HTH

entipy

Have you tried using EDM's Silk Dust as a primer? I've heard that helps with oil control. I've also heard some folks mention that using a very thin layer of Milk of Magnesia helps.

alysaunknox

my BE melts off too...mine actually turns into liquid because of all the oil on my face. it's pretty gross, actually. I'm thinking now BE isn't the way to go for me...although the mineral veil is great.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj
Its not what you put on right before your makeup, its how good you moisturize your skin the night before.

I was also scared by "moisturizer" in my old days as my face was oily enough. It took me quite some time to realize that Moisturizer does not mean oliy stuff, the watery fluid is comfort to wear. Once your skin is sufficiently moisturize, oil secretion would be reduced and your foundation would not be oxidized that easily !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRaine
What do you use as far as your skincare regime?

I agree with the quoted text in bold.

How do you treat your skin? What cleanser do you use? Do you moisturize?

I have verrrrry oily skin. I used to think that those typical cleansers for oily skin and not applying moisturizer afterward would solve my problem. Instead it made it worse. I literally removed all of the sebum (oil) and the protective mantle of my skin, with those cleansers...... Many are just too strong. Your skin gets stripped and then fights back by producing even more sebum.

Now, I use a (fragrance-free) baby wash in the AM and a homemade oil cleanser at night. After each cleansing, I use a organic hydrosol toner and either my homemade oil moisturizer or Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion with SPF 15. (If I have a long day ahead of me and I'm wearing MMU, I may use Alima's Balancing Primer, after the moisturizer.)My skin is still somewhat oily, but definitely not as badly as it used to be. I ued to have to blot and apply powder about every 2 hours. Now, I may do a blot and light touch-up at lunch time.... and once more if I plan on going somehwere for dinner or a drink, later.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by entipy
Have you tried using EDM's Silk Dust as a primer? I've heard that helps with oil control. I've also heard some folks mention that using a very thin layer of Milk of Magnesia helps.

Now... the EMD Silk Dust is "teasing" me to try it. :teehee: Maybe, next month........ I want to check out some e/s samples from them too.

I've tried the MOM coating and it was a bit too much for me. Made my face feel tight and as if I was wearing some sort of invisible mask. It also made me look more wrinkly and had a tendency to crack and look flaky over some drier areas. I do, however, have some friends that use it under heavier coverage cream or liquid foundations and it works for them.

glam8babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMaria
Anyone used the Smashbox primer?

yeh its amazing! and i have VERRRRRRY oily skin so i only use a tiny little bit and my makeup lasts even longer and looks more flawless

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
yeh its amazing! and i have VERRRRRRY oily skin so i only use a tiny little bit and my makeup lasts even longer and looks more flawless

I've tried it and found it to be only ok, for me. I also hated the bottle. The pump makes it hard to get all of it out, once you get to the bottom 3rd. Some of my friends now use the travel sized tube and that solves the problem.

PBunnieP

This might seem odd but I would actually suggest using a slightly moisturizing/creamy makeup. I had been previously using all those powder makeups but realized that by the afternoon the MU settles in weird places but leaves me oily in others. Yet when I used a creamier MU, my face was pretty much even at the end of the day, although still slightly oily but at least it's still even. I think perhaps it's just because your face produces oil during the day and it mixes in weird ways with the powder.
My suggestion would be:
1) Avene Couvrance Correcteur de Teint {avene is a great brand for problem/sensitive skin, it is very gentle. the MU might LOOK thick but use a foundation brush and work the foundation on a bit at a time, i find this covers almost everything while NEVER irritating my skin.}

2) COVERGIRL Smoothers Hydrating MU: I am not sure if this is non-comedogenic or not though but definitely natural.

3) MAC Select Tint: I just got this and it has impressive coverage for a TM... neutralizes redness well and makes skin soft.

Hope that helped!