CURRENT MAC EMPLOYEES, PLEEEASE HELP!! QUESTIONS!

Luuna

I got hired as a permanent part time Artist for MAC and my first day is the 19th. Yes, DECEMBER 19th. I've never worked for a makeup counter, much less a retail job where I have sales goals. I do work in a restaurant, where salesmanship is important but we don't have any REQUIREMENTS as far as those go. I'm working 19th, 20th, 23rd and 24th!

Christmas Eve! My manager tells me that it's going to be crazy and altogether that first week I won't have sales goals, I'll be 'rotating sales' and doing a lot of learning. I have a few questions ...

What is 'rotating sales'?

How to do you make sure you meet goal/exceed goal? [I REALLY want to do well and be offered a full time position] How do you turn someone coming in for a lipglass into a 60+ dollar purchase? Or eyeshadow?

I know I'm only allowed to wear MAC nail polish and I'm OBSESSED with my nails, and I have a few,and a few dupes but does it have to be one they currently have IN STOCK or can I wear some from past collections? Because I have a few, including Ocean Dip which I know is discontinued and they no longer sell at counter.

What is the hardest thing to learn at counter, besides obviously everything, what is super important for me to pay attention to during my first week?

I'm an NW45 or 7.5/8 in Match Master .. I have done a few looks for people who are around the same complexion as me, but does it get to the point, if a lighter skinned person, or a Caucasian client walks in how will I be able to just eyeball and tell what range she falls in??? I feel like I'd try 100 shades before I got it right!

I go to basic soon [Jan. 16 - 20th] but I want to hit the ground running!

I really, really want to do well .. and not just passing, but exemplary!

Please help! Thanks so much!!

luuna

globalmua

• Rotating sales is when your sales are distributed fairly amoung the permanent staff, (artist who are clocked in and working the shift). Typically the first artist your first sale would go to would be the opener for the shift, then the next on the schedule and so on. There should be two colums for tallys, one for sales over $60 and one for sales under $60, (this is done to ensure an even distribution of high and low sales).
  • You'll learn sales techniques in Basic. An easy way to build a sale is to suggestive sell, (offer complimentary products for the one being purchased). The makeup sells it's self, you just decide what and how much is sold.
  • You have to wear a current in- stock color. The point of you wearing the product is to be in current trend and sell the product.
  • The hardest thing at the counter is going to be different for everyone and every location. Most artists struggle with being able to multi- task and step away to help other customers.
  • Color is color. Race and ethniticity have nothing to do with how eyes view or interrpret color. You either have an eye for matching tones or you don't. If someone brought in a red dress, could you match a lipstick to the shade of the dress? If yes, then you can do the same for someone's skintone. Even further, MAC is pretty basic, the colors are either warm or cool and range from light to dark. Simple.
  • Just go in and have fun. At the end of the day, it's just makeup.

Luuna

My Good that was helpful! Thank you so much. I was the point that I nightmare put on a trenchcoat and bowler hat and stalked out the counter! Thank you soooo much!

paparazziboy

just work hard. listen to that artist talk ask questions globalmua summed it up best. as for becoming full time its very hard depending on the region im in the south central region myself and i work with artist that is has taken 4 or more years to become full time. im still part time and i have been there for over a year. dont worry about color it will come its just makeup u can wipe it off. basic is a blast i was sick during mine which kinda sucked lol.

u can also mix pigments with your clear nail color and make your own colors it will be a great way to up sell by showing them i do it all the time i also use the liquid last colors to do design in mine and go over with a clear top coat. its just makeup mix and match things

krs18

don't freak out and just have fun. everyone at your counter will understand that you are new and will help you out a ton. don't be afraid to ask questions. as for customers, just be passionate. if they see you love makeup and are being genuine they will trust you and buy.
:)