ew...first depotted experience

summer6310

So tonight I finally pick up a few e/s and make them a quad, yay!!!BUT OMG...that horrible smell when I burn the pan... I thought I was gonna die from the chemical poisoning:crap: I was trying to hold my breath at all time, not sure that's gonna help... Seriously, there is really no other way to do this? It was a fun experience but next time I might have to wear a mask or something.

redambition

did you use the candle method?

i prefer using an iron to depot - lara has an awesome tutorial for this method. less fumes, it's not as messy and i found it really easy.

Holly

I really like the hair straightener method, quick, painless and doesn't smell either
smiles.gif

coachkitten

Thanks for the tips! I am so afraid to try this. I could handle the smell but don't want to ruin my eye shadows!!

summer6310

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
did you use the candle method?

i prefer using an iron to depot - lara has an awesome tutorial for this method. less fumes, it's not as messy and i found it really easy.

Do you mean the hair iron or regular iron? I don't have hair iron
weeping.gif

tinagrzela

I use the candle method, but I do it under the fan on the stove, so there are never ever any fumes...

flowerhead

I tried depotting my swiss chocolate eyeshadow once, and I burned my fingers and it smelt gross...you'd be better off buying pro pans in my opinion!

prinzessin784

oh man it does smell, doesn't it?! I don't blame you for being turned off by it, but definitely try another method. There are easier ways! It still smells but not quite as bad.

lia_matos

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer6310
weeping.gif

You can use either of them . Lara, on her website, used a regular iron

MsButterfli

i did my swiss chocolate the other night..im like wow im getting sooooooooo many carcinogens right now lol..i didnt have a candle handy so i used the lighter that u would light candles with

freyja313

I used Lara's method (clothing iron) too the very first time I depotted. Her tutorial is fantastic! I depotted 12 e/s and had no complete casualties. I had two e/s that I gouged just a teeny tiny bit and one e/s that I bent the pan on slightly. By the time I finished the last one it was very easy to tell when the pan was ready to pop and I realized that the three that I had problems with weren't hot enough when I tried to remove the pan. After using this method, I can't imagine doing it any other way!

cherryice

I used my ceramic flat iron the other night and it was so much better than the candle method. Another lady posted about using a hair dryer, but I had no luck with that.
ssad.gif
I ended up ruining two of my shadows (thank goodness they were ones I wasn't really attached to).

What I did was opened up the flat iron, placed a piece of tin foil on the ceramic plate, popped out the shadow from its pot, and let it sit on the hot plate for about 2 minutes. Everything came out easily.

The glue was more of a pain, but a little nail polish remover did the trick.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer6310
weeping.gif

i mean a regular iron
smiles.gif

i've never tried the hair iron, but with mine i think it would be too fiddly. it doesn't sit flat, so i'd have to hold it constantly, and the iron parts are quite close together so i'd probably end up with burnt fingers. (i'm a bit uncoordinated).