expert help please, 10 Qs?!?!?!?! TIA

ms_junie

wavey.gif
Hi everyone

I am new to posting (i LOVE specktra btw), but i have been lurking 8) for a while now. and gosh have I learned so much from you lovely ladies (and boys). THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :notworthy:

Well i had a several questions, any help would be well appreciated TIA

1) Ive only ever used studio fix and sudio tech, how much better is SFF? DO you think the Studio Mist Foundation will be even better? and do you think MUFE is better than any of the aforementioned?

2) the ONLY mac brushes i have are from the recently released patternmaker collection. what are the other 'must have brushes.' from what i have read, the 182 & 187 (or 188 ).. would it be to my disadvantage to get the 188 INSTEAD of the 187? oh and when are these coming out

3) Does mac offer pressing pigments and putting them in 15 slot palettes through thier phone orders?

4) How important is it to use a primer?? I heard strobe cream does wonders... is it a MUST and which ones do you all prefer?

5) when you 'set' your face with powder is it necc. to use translucent powder? cause i use regular face powder and it doesnt seem to set and my whole face disappears after a 3 hours or so. (i use hyper real / studio tech and then use studio fix).. should i use the Invisible set powder

6) how much better does an MSF make the 'look'?

7) I heard/read that elf / milani / nyx shadows fit in mac palettes. are there other shadows that fit?

8 ) Other than mac which other brands (both cheap and expensive) do you think have the best pigments or can be applied without adding millions of layers?

9) I apply my brows with a brow brush and e/s (charcoal). is there a really big difference compared to using a pencil?

10) Other than ebay and basic swapping (w/c i have never done) is there anywhere else online that I can get le/dc item for cheap?

.... I know there are soooo many questions but if you guys had the time to respond i will be eternally grateful. :cartwheel:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lara

3) Does mac offer pressing pigments and putting them in 15 slot palettes through thier phone orders?
Pressing pigments is a DIY option. Search on Specktra for tutorials on pressing pigments, it's reasonably easy to do. For eyeshadow pans that fit into the small pan palette (15 pan e/s), visit a pro store or order through the 1800 pro number if you're in the US.

4) How important is it to use a primer?? I heard strobe cream does wonders... is it a MUST and which ones do you all prefer?
Strobe cream is a moisturiser, not a primer. If you have reasonably good skin that falls into normal, normal-oily or normal-dry, you don't need a primer. Just moisturise well beforehand, allow 5-10 minutes for it to soak into your skin then apply foundation as normal.

5) when you 'set' your face with powder is it necc. to use translucent powder? cause i use regular face powder and it doesnt seem to set and my whole face disappears after a 3 hours or so. (i use hyper real / studio tech and then use studio fix).. should i use the Invisible set powder
Studio Fix isn't a setting powder. Applying it over foundation makes the foundation irrelevant, as it's so opaque as to cancel out the creme/liquid base. If you want to use an invisible powder, then go for that option. A popular option is the various Blot powders, which provide good matte setting qualities without adding much colour.

MSFS don't make 'the look', they're just a product that's overhyped. I only recommend them to people with smooth skin, as it can strongly highlight any scarring on the cheeks. They're not a must-have.

9) I apply my brows with a brow brush and e/s (charcoal). is there a really big difference compared to using a pencil?
Powder is more subtle and can be built up. Pencils apply solidly and don't provide much in the way of subtlety or give the illusion of natrual hair.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
[I

Powder is more subtle and can be built up. Pencils apply solidly and don't provide much in the way of subtlety or give the illusion of natrual hair.[/I]

iagree.gif

I'm not an expert, but maybe I can help you out just a little...

2) the ONLY mac brushes i have are from the recently released patternmaker collection. what are the other 'must have brushes.' from what i have read, the 182 & 187 (or 188 ).. would it be to my disadvantage to get the 188 INSTEAD of the 187? oh and when are these coming out
It's all based on your personal liking, what works best with you, & what you use often. My HG brush is the 187 and that brush is perm & not LE. I use my 187 for almost everything: powder blush, creamy blush, foundation, beauty powders, MSF's, etc.

7) I heard/read that elf / milani / nyx shadows fit in mac palettes. are there other shadows that fit?
Urban Decay

10) Other than ebay and basic swapping (w/c i have never done) is there anywhere else online that I can get le/dc item for cheap?
Fellow Spreckta members, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Estee Lauder has a "Gone but not forgotten" program where they can locate LE/DC items. But not for cheap though, regular prices I think.

HTH!

ms_junie

Thanks guys, that helped a bunch. yea read about pressing piggies but i was just hoping there was a pre-made to make things easier.

about setting with studio fix.... a mac mua told me this one.. telling me it gave ' better' coverage. hmmm...dunno
th_dunno.gif

ohhh... i dont know if this helps anyone but i read in another forum, dont remember which one, but a revlon le collection offers eyeshadoes that fit the palettes too..

THANKS AGAIN.. i was starting to think my post was a toooo long for to respond to.

bluegrassbabe

1) Ive only ever used studio fix and sudio tech, how much better is SFF? DO you think the Studio Mist Foundation will be even better? and do you think MUFE is better than any of the aforementioned?

My personal preference is for Studio Tech. SFL is a little more matte than I like for everyday. As for MUFE, I love the look of it in pics, but no where near me carries it. I don't want to guess about color and order online.

Kohl's sells a brush similar to the 187, not quite as good, but a nice alternative. For a $6 brush, it's fantastic.
Other musthaves, IMO, the 252, 217, 242, 224, 168 and 190

These are nice to make a glowy/dewey look for the skin. I love them because they give a little life to my dry skin, when usually looks very flat and matte, without being overly shiny or frosty. I prefer them to regular blush or bronzer. I use them as cheek color, highlighter, and contour.

I prefer powder over pencil because the overall look is softer.

bellaetoile

-to begin with, i don't like studio fix powder as foundation. i use it only to touch up my liquid or creme foundations, or to blot oil or finish a look. studio fix fluid gives great coverage, and lasts forever on my skin, especially with fix+ and prep and prime face. if i really want super heavy coverage, i'll use both SFF and studio fix powder. i also like stuodio tech, but i like SFF better, as it lasts longer, and also, you get more product.

2) the ONLY mac brushes i have are from the recently released patternmaker collection. what are the other 'must have brushes.' from what i have read, the 182 & 187 (or 188 ).. would it be to my disadvantage to get the 188 INSTEAD of the 187? oh and when are these coming out?
-i don't know when they're coming out, i'm sorry. but i have 3 187 brushes, which i use for different things. the 187 is seriously worth the money, as its such a versatile brush.

-pigment pressing is entirely something done by the customers. MAC does not do it, nor do they endorse it, frankly, they may not even know about it. if you have pans that fit in the 15-pan slots, you can make your own pressed pigments, using one of the many tutorials.

-i don't consider strobe cream to be a primer, really, though i do use it as one, from time to time. mac makes prep and prime face, which makes your foundation last longer, and go on smoother. it does NOT change the color, texture, or finish of your foundation, strobe cream is pearlescent, and therefore usually ends up adding a slight sheen to your face, even with foundation over it. moisturegleam has a similar effect, although strobe cream is pearlescent, whereas moisturegleam is shimmery. smashbox makes a really good foundation primer as well. prep and prime lip and prep and prime lash, both by mac, are very good respectively, though most people dislike prep and prime eye. instead, urban decay primer potion is an AMAZING eye base.

5) when you 'set' your face with powder is it necc. to use translucent powder? cause i use regular face powder and it doesnt seem to set and my whole face disappears after a 3 hours or so. (i use hyper real / studio tech and then use studio fix).. should i use the Invisible set powder ?
i use loose blot powder, or, more commonly, studio fix compact. i find compact/pressed powders are easier to work with, and studio fix is my favorite.

a billion times. they are very very very very worth it.

those are the main ones that i know of. urban decay ones do, as well.

8 ) Other than mac which other brands (both cheap and expensive) do you think have the best pigments or can be applied without adding millions of layers? i have yet to find other brands, cheap or expensive, that blend and apply as well as mac does. pigments, eyeshadows, anything. and i have tried a billion different brands of makeup. stila all over shimmer powders for eyes are loose pigments similar to mac's, and are decent, but not worth the money, really. as far as eyeshadow goes, urban decay is allright, although most are too sparkly, and stila has some that are okay, and others that suck. really, mac products are the best, IMO.

-no, and i find that a thin brow brush and dark shadow look better than pencil ones, including the mac pencils. i take my lingering brow pencil everywhere in my purse, only because it's more convenient than hauling around a brush and shadow, and the pencil is allright for touch-ups, but not great.

10) Other than ebay and basic swapping (w/c i have never done) is there anywhere else online that I can get le/dc item for cheap? cosmetic company stores, if you live near one. other than that, not really, since they are discontinued and LE.

stellarx1587

I personally like SFF better than any of the foundations that MAC has came out with. And I've tried 'em ALL. The Studio Mist Foundation has sheerer coverage than SFF, so I probably will pass on that one, unless coverage is not something that concerns you.

Those two are awesome brushes. I have both. Both serve different purposes. I really like using the 187 for HL. It really buffs the color on the skin.

No they don't unfortunately.

I use Prep + Prime skin. I think its awesome. I use it everyday. Strobe Cream is cool. Except it sometimes makes my skin oily.

I prefer using the the loose blot powder to set my foundation. After that I spritz Fix + all over my face. That keeps my makeup on for quite a while and it also helps not make the face all powdery or chalky looking.

I primarily use MSF's for HL. It gives the face a nice glow. You can achieve that same glow w/ the Hyper Real foundation and also using the iridescent loose powders. My personal favorite is Golden Bronze. I've been wearing it everyday since summer has started and love it.

That I'm not too sure. I've never actually tried putting other e/s's in the MAC pallettes.

8 ) Other than mac which other brands (both cheap and expensive) do you think have the best pigments or can be applied without adding millions of layers?

NARS is my 2nd choice when it comes to makeup.

I prefer the e/s because it looks more natural vs the pencil.

You can try going to a CCO.

ms_junie

hey guys,

thanks for all the advice. with that i have decided to

purchase:

-MAC SFF. (i live in arizona, 115 degree heat, so i get really oily)
-MAC blotting powder (i really hope this helps, my face usually diasappears or melts off in two hours, dammit)
-Flirt 187 knockoff, if it seems to work for me, ill have to bow down and get the real deal.
-UD primer potion

pass on . on the fence:

-MSF (with my oiliness, i dont want to add to it)
-182 brush... too much $ for someone who probably wont use it correctly :crap:

lingering questions: :?:

1. fix+ is a setting product?
2. is the primer potion just for e/s? can it be used onthe entire face?
3. while messing with my makeup last night, I found that adding water to certain e/s make the color really POP, do they remain that color or do they eventually end up looking chalky?
4. is there a type of primer that can be used to combat oil??

****** THANKS ********

stellarx1587

Yes, I use it before and after I apply my makeup and throughout the day. It totally helps with giving your face a finished look.

2. is the primer potion just for e/s? can it be used onthe entire face?

The UDPP I've never personally used, so I dunno... but I I've heard great review from other Specktra ladies.

3. while messing with my makeup last night, I found that adding water to certain e/s make the color really POP, do they remain that color or do they eventually end up looking chalky?

Well, I use MAC's water based mixing medium for e/s's and pigments. It doesn't make it chalky at all when it dries. So, I'm assuming that just using regular water wouldn't make it chalky.

4. is there a type of primer that can be used to combat oil??

I have oily skin, and I have found that MAC's Prep & Prime skin works great. After I apply it, my face is matte and velvety. I've also heard that Smashbox's Photo Finish Foundation Primer works wonders. I've actually considered trying it. If you happen to consider pickin' it up, please let me know how it works!

lara

No. Fix+ isn't a setting product and has no holding qualities - all it does is mist down excess powder when sprayed after applying base make-up, or to give a product extra 'slip' when sprayed on a brush pre-application. The name of the product is misleading and it's been atrributed many extra qualities that it just doesn't have. If you have oily skin, be aware the Fix+ contains glycerine products.