Fake tan products vs tanning beds?? Advice!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

plus there isnt anything with embracing your paleness. just imagine when you're 50 and look 30... and all your friends look 60.

I burn extremely easily. I went to a tanning bed a few times. and my upper back,butt cheeks and my calves all got super burnt (anything that was actually touching the glass) ouchh!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
plus there isnt anything with embracing your paleness. just imagine when you're 50 and look 30... and all your friends look 60.

I burn extremely easily. I went to a tanning bed a few times. and my upper back,butt cheeks and my calves all got super burnt (anything that was actually touching the glass) ouchh!

I so totally agree...embrace the paleness!!!

semtexgirl

Yes, those spray tan booths sound really interesting - I have a bunch of them by me, never tried them though.

glam8babe

i go tanning once a week although i have very fair skin i do tan easily from using sunbeds once a week which is ok. I used to be scared of them but i love the tan they give me.. yes they can cause cancer but i use to use fake tan EVERY WEEK! and it made me feel 'covered' all the time it was time to show my real skin and i hated it.. but the fake tan [st tropez] just got too much for me every week applying it n stuff when i could be out one night with my friends or whatever... its upto you. If you wanna use sunbeds USE THEM! nobody is stopping you... not everybody gets skin cancer you just have to be careful and not over do it.. like i said i use them once a week and thats all i don't wanna use them more than once a week because i don't wanna get all old looking

User49

Okay so I think I'm going to look into a non smelly fake tan and meanwhile I'm going to try and embrace the paleness. lol. I mean their are plenty of gorgeous pale women out there:
Dita Von Teese, Sophie Dahl, Gwen S, that women from Charmed, ect ect... right? And essentially a tan is burnt skin. Just the way the body is trying to protect itself. And uv rays are much wosre than say twenty years ago right?
hmm.gif

sigh.gif
I just think it's going be be easier said than done.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternmyveins
Okay so I think I'm going to look into a non smelly fake tan and meanwhile I'm going to try and embrace the paleness. lol. I mean their are plenty of gorgeous pale women out there:
Dita Von Teese, Sophie Dahl, Gwen S, that women from Charmed, ect ect... right? And essentially a tan is burnt skin. Just the way the body is trying to protect itself. And uv rays are much wosre than say twenty years ago right?
hmm.gif

sigh.gif
I just think it's going be be easier said than done.

I think you've made a very wise choice. There is no amount of "safe" tanning. There is no such thing as "just being careful" when it comes to sun exposure or use of tanning beds. Skin cancer is a horrible thing to have to fight, so take pride in your decision to protect yourself!

Some scary facts from skincancer.org
Quote:
Ultraviolet radiation (UVR) is a proven human carcinogen, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (13)

Exposure to tanning beds before age 35 increases melanoma risk by 75 percent. (16)

Nearly 30 million people tan indoors in the U.S. annually; 2.3 million of them are teens. (4)

On an average day in the U.S., more than 1 million people tan in tanning salons; 70% are Caucasian women aged 16-49. (7)

People who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma. (12)

Occasional use of tanning beds almost triples the chances of developing melanoma. (12)

New high-pressure sunlamps emit doses of UVR that can be as much as 15 times that of the sun.(13)

The indoor tanning industry has an estimated revenue of $5 billion. (6)

Up to 90 percent of the visible skin changes commonly attributed to aging are caused by the sun. These changes can be seen as early as in one's 20's. (15)

User49

"Occasional use of tanning beds almost triples the chances of developing melanoma."

Woah! Thanks for this reply! I have totally made up my mind. While it is nice to look sexy and tanned while your young I don't think it's worth it if it's going to triple my chances of getting problems in the future. I think people are becoming a bit too concerned with vanity when it comes to going to drastic measures such as tummy tucks/face lifts/and now I also feel that way about tanning beds. It just aint natural! Thanks for all of your posts! They have helped me make up my mind!

coachkitten

After years of tanning in high school & college I have decided to embrace the pale (NW15) skin that God gave me. I even slather on SPF 55 now.
There is no reason in this day & age to tan in a tanning bed when there are numerous safe options. If I ever do want to look tan I will spend the extra money to get a sunless tanner applied.
I just don't want to take the risk of wrinkles, age spots, irreversable damage, and skin cancer.

melliquor

You have made a wise decision. Tanning is so not worth it. I don't even allow myself to tan naturally in the sun. I burn within minutes when I am outside. I have to wear sunblock whenever I go outside. I like being pale. I don't want to have wrinkles and other the other problems caused by tanning.

MACreation

I go to taning salons once a month, and use the seven lotion in the golden packet. It has bronzers that last forever on my skin. I also use the jergens body glow in between, and people always compliment my skin. I hope this helps!

Katura

I think I'm sold on the idea of "Just say no" to taning beds. I have used them in the past, but I htink I'll refrain...

I've been rocking the Loreal Sublime Bronze, and its impossible to get streaky (I've been known to put it on super fast and put my hair drier on coll for a few minutes to help it dry faster hahaha)

If I need sun I think I'd rather just go outside for a few minutes, not bake myself for hours with tanning oil...

I'm with you, Glitternmyveins, I'd rather fake it than get wrinkled like a charpei! haha

User49

Righty ho! I have started my fake tanning journey. Last year I tried Johnsons and Johnsons body lotion with fake tanner and it rEAKed of curry and that fake tan smell! This year I am trying Olay Body Lotion with tanner. So far so good. The smell is noticably a lot less stinky! In fact it has a nice smell to it really. I've used it twice and so far i'm not orange and i seem to have developed a lovely golden hue! If anyone could reccomend any other fake tanning products let me know! I thought it would be fun to do a sort of rating system!

Ie

Product Name: Olay Body Lotion with tanner
Smellyness out of 10 (1 being not smelly, 10 being super stinky!): 4
Effect overall out of 10: so far 7/10

Product Name: Johnsons & Johnsens Tanning Body Lotion
Smellyness: 9/10 (phewweee)
Effect overall: 5/10

clap.gif
Any more suggestions and ratings??