Fake Vellum Pro Pan?

snooops

I bought Vellum off of ebay and I'm wondering if it's fake.

The sticker on the bottom only has the name and batch code printed on it (vellum with A88 underneath). The information that is printed in a circle around it on all my other pans is missing. I'm assuming that means it's fake, or is it a pro color thing? This is my first pro product.

rockin

I bought some Pro Pan shadows direct from MAC (by phone) recently, and they also have that information missing, so I can only assume it's a "pro thing". I also bought a 'shaping powder' and a 'sculpting powder' (both also Pro) and they were just the same - just the colour name and the batch code.

The non-Pro items I bought had the full information.

angi

It is a pro thing - generally the pro only products don't have the extra information, just the name and the batch code.

However, you said that yours has got a batch code of A88, but Vellum didn't go pro only until late 2009. So it seems strange that the dates and information don't match up.

snooops

Don't have the best camera, so I don't know if this helps at all.

--15052010961ed.jpg

--15052010964ed.jpg

--15052010977ed.jpg

--15052010978ed.jpg

--15052010981ed.jpg

I've tried to compare the shape of the pan as well as thickness of the magnet to my other pans, and they look the same to me. But the counterfeited products are so well made these days, so I might be missing something.

I bought the shadow from pinkdaisygirls btw, haven't heard anything about her selling fake products.

marusia

I'm agreeing with Angi on this one. I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything on fake pro pans. How much did you pay for it?

*edit-actually, I don't know. She has a LOT of stuff for sell that's too new to be counterfeited. (LoL, Art Supplies, etc.) I have some products that were from collections that were made the year prior, so I'm not 100% convinced either way. There are some suppliers out there that have mixed goods. (Some real, some fake), so I couldn't be certain either way. Have you tried asking her where she got it?

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by angi
It is a pro thing - generally the pro only products don't have the extra information, just the name and the batch code.

However, you said that yours has got a batch code of A88, but Vellum didn't go pro only until late 2009. So it seems strange that the dates and information don't match up.

i though vellum went pro in late 2008 just before the chill collection came out - when it came out in a pot again. i don't think your pro pan is fake - it looks like alot of my pro pan shadows.

snooops

I paid $16.99 for Vellum. I also bought Henna e/s from her for $19.99, and I'm pretty sure that one is authentic. I don't really see the point in asking her where she gets her products from as it will be almost impossible for me to know if she's telling the truth.

It looks like only two ebayers are selling Vellum right now. Does anyone know if that shade has been counterfeited yet? I would think that if it had, more people would be selling it..?

I guess I'll just take the risk of using it and hope I don't get a nasty infection or allergic reaction.

Thank you so much for your help.

marusia

I actually have a list of counterfeited pro pans. I can send it to you in a message if you pm me. Vellum isn't on the list.
smiles.gif

Nelly711

I think it's real. I just looked at my vellum pro pan and it's identical to yours. I know mine is real because I bought it directly from Pro.

snooops

It's probably real then. I guess I'm a bit too paranoid when it comes to buying mac off of ebay. Just had to make sure I don't accuse a good ebayer of selling fakes or leaving positive feedback for a fake product.

Thanks again, guys!
smiles.gif

marusia

This might be a little "wrong" of me, but when I buy anything off ebay, I use it for a week or two before I leave feedback, unless it's something I know for a fact is fine after a lookover (not makeup though, I don't buy that-I look here first or then go through the list of good sellers). That way, I know there's nothing wrong with the product. Once you've left feedback, whether positive or negative, it makes the seller hesitant to fix anything since they already have your money and there isn't really any repercussions you could take because you've already left your feedback.

LC

It's authentic. I just ordered 15 pro eyeshadows directly from the pro site (vellum included) and they all look exactly like that.