Fake Violet Underground Kohl Liner (ebay @ beautycouturecosmetics505)

technacolor

I purchased what I thought was a stick of Violet Underground kohl liner. For some reason I never really heard about eyeliners being counterfeited, mostly just pigments and eyeshadows. But I was wrong. This seller, My Worldbeautycouturecosmetics505, sent me a stick of "Violet Underground" kohl that was extremely rough. I have several MAC pencil eyeliners and the writing on this pencil seems counterfeited - while my real eyeliners have smooth silver writing, you can see wood indentations in the writing on this stick.

Also, I noticed that all MAC eyeliners' caps have small dots or indentations in the top. This one is perfectly smooth and also tapered unlike any of my real ones. In addition, the formula seems off. I have never had a problem with MAC eyeliner gliding smoothly onto my skin. This one stabbed me in the eye when I tried to apply it and it hurt. I think I'll just be throwing it out.

This is just a warning for everyone.

<3

dangerousmuffins

do you have a picture of it?

ETA:
and if it really a fake, please don't throw it out, get your money back. File a claim with paypal and leave negative feedback. This is the only way sellers of counterfeit products will be deterred, even if ever so slightly.

julie150463

Just checked the sellers listing for this - it really does look fine.
This shade has been discontinued - perhaps the texture is odd just because it's old?

dangerousmuffins

Julie - you are completely right, the eye kohl looks okay actually.
Violet Underground did come out about 4 years ago with the Culturebloom collection and the texture could definitely be off because of the age.
This might sound stupid, but did you try sharpening it? The part of the pencil that is exposed to the air, will change and turn white and sometimes all you need to do is sharpen it and the pencil will become new again.

OP - it's a real shame that you have already jumped the gun on this and gave the seller a neutral. I honestly believe that this isn't a fake.
I've also had caps on older pencils/kohls from mac that have been completely smooth, with no indentations that you have described.