Full Coverage Question :)

JellyTot

I recently bought MAC's Full Coverage Foundation, and I apply it with a sponge, but it comes out all flaky and cakey, and I spray Fix+ ontop and it's still cakey, anyone have any remedies?

lipshock

You need to apply FC with a foundation brush. Sponges soak up too much of the product which makes you apply even more and allows your makeup to become cakey and too thick. Not to mention, sponges harbor bacteria (especially within creamy products) and you are only spreading it onto your face which ultimately leads to a possible outcome of breakouts.

You need to invest in a high quality foundation brush such as the #190 or the #188. And you should apply FC by buffing into your skin in small circular motions, not by "painting" it onto the skin. "Painting" motions leads to streaks and uneven application.

JellyTot

Oh, thanks! When I went to pick it up the sales assistant said to use sponges, but I have the 190 and the 188, which do you think is best to use? Thanks for your help
smiles.gif

MAC_Whore

You may want to try exfoliating with MAC's Microfine refinisher and moisturizing beforehand as well. That will give a clean skin surface with lots of "slip" for the foundation to glide onto. In other words, the foundation won't get hung up on patches of skin. You could add a primer after the exfoliation and moisturiser, as well, to hold the foundation.
smiles.gif

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyTot
Oh, thanks! When I went to pick it up the sales assistant said to use sponges, but I have the 190 and the 188, which do you think is best to use? Thanks for your help
smiles.gif

Try both and see which one you like more. For me, I prefer to use the #188.

SoSoAmazin

I 2nd the #188
smiles.gif
I had the same exact question as you and I went to MAC today and the MA applied the Full Coverage on me with this brush. She buffed/swirled the foundation on instead of "brushing". Loved it so much that i bought it! Though I've never tried the #190, the 188 gave a very nice smooth airbrushed finish, not cakey and I like that it didn't make the application too heavy. Hope that helps!
greengrin.gif

2twisted

yes it is true that it is the same, yet the studio finish concealer contains an spf of 35. that means the colours are not exactly the same in both products. so an nc45 in studiofinish concealer is a touch different the nc45 full coverage. hope this helps
smiles.gif

Kiseki

Make sure your skin is well hydrated and properly exfoliated so the dry bits won't show up. Wear a primer underneath to create a smooth surface to apply your foundation as well.

I don't think sponges are unhygienic, if you want a sheerer application of a foundation like Full Coverage, dampen your sponge, remove all excess fluid and apply your foundation by not putting too much product on your sponge and layering it on areas that you would need more coverage.

If you like sponges but still feel they're unsanitary, you can buy inexpensive wedges. A good sponge can also be washed, Make Up For Ever's Ellipse Sponge is a dream per example.

As for the brush to apply it with, use the 190 when you want a more sophisticated polished look or the 188 for a more soft and sheerer application, I think the 188 is too small and makes it a longer process and would prefer the 187. But I apply my foundation with the 190 and it I can apply it sheerly and still give it that airbrushed look.