Gadget People in here!

Chic 2k6

I'm looking into purchasing an iPod video now i love music videos, so i'm selling my iPod mini to Mum for £50, she wanted an iPod and i was ready for upgrade so i said that she can buy off me so i can use the cash towards the new one, and I've sold my trampoline to my uncle for £50 (its 6 y/o been out all year round for 6 years), so that's £100 sorted.
Here's my Qs.

- Is the 80GB iPod worth buying? I'd be loading a lot of vids on there

- Can I load a DVD on it?

- What's the average life for it? (I have a mini and its 1.5 years old and works great)

- Is loading videos on it easy? Same for pics?

- Is it heavy?

thanks for any recs and tips
greengrin.gif
im so excited!
cheerleader.gif
Cheapest ive seen is between £204 to £224

Shimmer

get the extended warranty, just in case.
yes the extra space is worth it.
battery life is shortened by watchign movies/videos on it.
I use mine to watch grey's anatomy on.
smiles.gif
L ove it.
Very light weight.

Shimmer

I'd still recommend the warranty. It's cheaper than replacing the ipod itself if something goes wrong.

Beauty Mark

I have the 60GB iPod Video.
- Is the 80GB iPod worth buying? I'd be loading a lot of vids on there: I recommend buying as much space as possible if you have a large and growing collection.

- Can I load a DVD on it?: Yes, you can get some free programs that allow you to rip from DVD to the m4v (I think that's iPod file extension), and you can also pay a bit for a program to do that. I don't think you can directly do it from iTunes, but I could be wrong.

- What's the average life for it? (I have a mini and its 1.5 years old and works great): I'm not sure. I haven't watched any movies on my iPod, just TV shows. Music-wise, it's lasted an 8 hr. car ride on shuffle with me selecting music from a 5000 song library

- Is loading videos on it easy? Same for pics?: Yes. very easy

- Is it heavy: Not really. I don't think I'd go jogging with it, but it's light enough to fit in a coat pocket without you noticing.

Chic 2k6

this will sound dumb so i apologise in advanced.

How do i load a DVD onto iTunes? How do i convert the files? is there any online tutorials on how to do it?

Beauty Mark

What kind of computer do you have? I think whatever Handbrake has become is only available for Mac, but I'm not sure.

Here are the instructions for Handbrake. If that didn't help, I think ilounge.com may have info. It's very straightforward and easy.

ilounge.com has a messageboard that you may want to peruse. The people on there are iPod fanatics; they know more than you'll ever wnat to know

Beauty Mark

Oh, you'll have to look into a conversion program if you have non-iPod compatible movies. The iTunes converter drops the sound. It's explained more in some FAQ on the Apple website.

Juneplum

all of the above! i have the 80GB video iPod and i LOVE it! u can't upload dvd's to iTunes like u can upload cd's, but you can buy movies on iTunes and watch 'em on your iPod
smiles.gif

Shimmer

Oh, I definitely DO NOT recommend jogging with a video Ipod. The drives can become blearchy because of it. If you're going to use it to exercise, much better to buy a shuffle and wear that jogging, as it's flash memory.

Chic 2k6

ive bought it!
greengrin.gif

i dont go jogging
lol.gif
so the iPod's safe, i just gotta keep it away from Sindy, she stood on the mini, am surprised that there's no damage
lol.gif
(sindy's a horse)

xbeatofangelx

I personally dislike apple. I had my mini for under 2 years, and now it has a bunch of problems. I don't throw it around, I just used it to walk to school and back. I think Microsoft's Zune and Samsung's Sansa are much better investments
greengrin.gif
, Not to mention how cute the sansa is!

Chic 2k6

awesome
greengrin.gif

i ordered it monday and i was expecting it next week as they do 5-7 working days and it came today
oh.gif
it came fast and i wasnt even expecting it either!

madkitty

if you want my personal opinion i just ditched my ipod video for an archos 604 and its soooo much better - but there again I only ever use mine on the train and plane so it depends what you want it for