Going back to school

MisStarrlight

Last May I graduated college with a BFA in Art Education, but at that point I hated school & was so terrified of teaching that I turned my attention completely to makeup (went to MUD & am now working like crazy at MAC/freelance stuff)...but the other day I decided that I kinda do want to do something with my degree. I know it's terrible to say, but I'm torn between makeup & teaching art & right now, it's all about money. Largely because making only 21k/year is not cutting it for me...I've got nearly $10,000 in credit card debt, not to mention all my student loans. Also, going back to grad school will allow me to defer my student loans (and save myself about $400 a month) & I can get health insurance back (I'm generally healthy, but I seriously have panic attacks over not having health insurance "just incase").

So anyway...you guys probably don't care about all my money issues...
I don't feel comfortable teaching right away-I did really well in undergrad, graduated at the top of my department & got killer grades on my teacher certification tests, but I took on way too much at once & don't feel like I learned as much as I should (18-22 credits a semester & working 30-60 hours a week) So I figure, I'll take 2 or 3 grad classes (whatever is full time) & keep my job at MAC (24 hours). So this will keep me busy, but won't be nearly as much as the first time though.

Now I have to decide where I wanna go & what I wanna major in. I have a BFA in Art Ed & just have to get my fingerprints done before I can get a NYS Initial Certification. I want to work toward the Porfessional Certification, but I'm torn between Art Ed, Museum Studies & Art History. Ideally I would like work in the ed department of a museum, but I don't even know what kind of degree/experience I need to get into a museum.

I decided this a few months too late though. I missed the application deadline for NYU (my dream school), but I guess that's not too bad, since I'm going to have to get a portfolio together again. I don't know that I have 20 pieces of art lying around my house-20 pieces that I'd be willing to put in a portfolio anyway. And I have to get letters of recommendations & get my initial teacher's certification finalized.

I don't really want to wait a year though. Knowing me, I'll lose interest in the application process & so much can change in a year that I'm scared of what could happen (I'm not on best terms w/ my live-in boyfriend)....and waiting that year kinda defeats the purpose of doing for student loans/health insurance reasons.

So now I have to look at other schools & other programs. Ideally I'd like to stay in NYC/LI, but I have also been looking into stuff in LA as well. Anyone got any input? Sorry I write waaaay too much.

MsCuppyCakes

Ideally I would like work in the ed department of a museum, but I don't even know what kind of degree/experience I need to get into a museum.

Contact some of the local museum in and around your area and ask for an informational interview.

Beauty Mark

I'm not sure if your reasoning for grad school is the best, honestly. From what I've gathered about it, it's something you really, really have to want to do it and know what you want to do. It isn't the time to think about possibilities; you're locking yourself more and more into a specific career path. I don't know how art programs are funded, but you're also creating more debt for yourself.

Have you taken your GREs? You'll need those more than likely. Because they are changing the test format, if you aren't going to apply before then, I would wait until they create the new format.

I've worked in museums, doing other stuff than art. There are a lot of places that like volunteers or will do an unpaid internship. I know you need money, but it's a good wait to test the waters. You could possibly get a job in the museum, but I think most paying jobs are gift shop, front desk type stuff.

If you're afraid of teaching, you shouldn't be, because I've had plenty of friends do teaching who had little to no experience. They survived it
smiles.gif
. The fact you would be entering the field with a realistic idea of who you are and what you know would be helpful.

I would discuss your future education plans with a professor you really liked at your college.

macslut

Sweetie, you are going to graduate school for all the wrong reasons. You have to really really want it. The work is nightmarish (at least in the program I am in). Full time is 9 hours. You cannot take over 12 hours at my university. Cs are not an option. Two Cs and you are kicked out. The grades below that don't exist. If you overload yourself, you are stuck. Dropping classes is extremely frowned upon.

The average GA position is 20 hours of work a week. I really don't see how you can do 24 hours of MAC work and still go to graduate school. You will have to cut back on your hours. The reason the GAs can work 20 hours is because of an unwritten rule that the professor you work for is "supposed to be sensitive to the school schedule". Mine wasn't...in fact, she was abusive. I will not go back until I teach in the fall.

Seriously, I would wait. You are not sure what you want to do. Take your time and figure that out. Graduate School is too expensive a mistake to make.

macslut

One thing I have told people: The difference between your undergrad and grad work. In undergrad, you wonder how you will fill 5 or so pages. In graduate work, 25 pages is not enough.

MisStarrlight

I seemed to have given you all the wrong impression of me....

I do want to go to grad school for the pure educational part of it & I need to do it within 5 years otherwise my undergrad basically looses any weight (my teachers certification does anyway)...the reasons I outlined are the reasons for going back now-as opposed to in a year or two.

The work does not scare me at all. I am a closet nerd and get off on being intellectual & writing papers & such. I've never gotten a C in my life & the more important (& more money) the schooling costs, the less I'm going to mess around & risk low grades....anything below an A- gives me panic atacks so I'll be fine there & I've never dropped/taken an incomplete...I have & will continue to take all honors classes & that's not allowed in any honors programs that I know of.

d_flawless

i've seen people work full time (30+) a week and complete grad school. it would be a challenge, but if you want it, go for it.

if you feel like you're not doing it for the right reasons, then wait it out.

with teaching though, it seems the best thing is to get some experience first, rather than keep pursuing education. why not volunteer or something to at least build up some more confidence?
smiles.gif

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
I seemed to have given you all the wrong impression of me....

I do want to go to grad school for the pure educational part of it & I need to do it within 5 years otherwise my undergrad basically looses any weight (my teachers certification does anyway)...the reasons I outlined are the reasons for going back now-as opposed to in a year or two.

The work does not scare me at all. I am a closet nerd and get off on being intellectual & writing papers & such. I've never gotten a C in my life & the more important (& more money) the schooling costs, the less I'm going to mess around & risk low grades....anything below an A- gives me panic atacks so I'll be fine there & I've never dropped/taken an incomplete...I have & will continue to take all honors classes & that's not allowed in any honors programs that I know of.

You can't take it lightly. And I do agree that the more money it costs...(I tend to be the same way). You won't have to worry about an honors program because there isn't one. I am in an extremely difficult, extremely intense program. That is where I am coming from. I also have a genius level IQ and did well in my undergrad (honors program) despite my rebellion against higher education indoctriation (I only had to threaten one prof with a lawsuit if he messed with my grade). (I told my advisor not to try it this time. Telling me what to think didn't work the first time and this time it is just going to make me angry).

d_flawless last's paragraph is a good point. I know that at my uni, if you are applying to a graduate education program and have never taught you have to explain why and you probably won't get it. The acceptance isn't all about grades anymore. It is about experience, what you want to do, etc. (Oh and you must do well on the GRE. Don't take it for granted. Get a book and become familair with the material)

Just saw the time. Gotta go.

Hawkeye

Grad school is tough work.

This is my thoughts on it:
If you really want to go through with it then go ahead and do it while you still can. The longer you wait the more of a financial hole you will dig yourself into.

But you have to want it. You may say-oh i want it etc but you have to truely truely want it because going to grad school and doing a half ass job isn't going to accomplish your goals.

I think that (and I'm telling you the same thing I've had to tell myself lately- I mean just a quick over view- I'm still in Undergrad and I didn't know what I wanted to do so I pissed a lot of time away until I realized what I wanted to do and I started squandering and finally I had a professor and one of the ladies on here and my best friend say- Look if you want to do this your going to have to get your act together and face your fears=and suddenly I realized i REALLY wanted it and now I'm busting my ass)

But back to you- thats what you have to do. How badly do you want this? If you want it THAT badly you go ahead and DO It. If not then don't waste your time.

Again, I've had it said to me and I'm telling you.

I'm sure you are very talented and I think you have the ability to be a very good teacher etc. But you have to make the ultimate decision sweetie.