Guide to identifying fake Pro Pans *with pictures*

ThePowderPuff

I am no expert but having bought a fake Sketch Pro Pan on ebay, I have learned how to spot the fake Pro Pans. So I made a little guide with photos.

To sum up, the fakes are really close to the real thing. It took me a while to find out it was fake. The main differences are:

The magnet on the fake is slightly thicker than the real ones.
The see thru plastic on the front of the package is hard and thick on the fake, where it's soft and very thin on the genuine.
The texture ( at least on Sketch, which is the only one I have bought a fake of) was very soft and a lot creamier and with less shine than the genuine.

Let me go through it in more details now. The fake is on your left, and the genuine is on your right:

First the whole package. To be honest it's very very difficult to see the difference on the outside on the package. I really can't tell which is which. But if you look at the clear plastic you know. You can see MACs is very thin and soft and it bents. The fakes are hard thick plastic.

fakemac1.jpg

On the back of the package I am not experienced enough to really see on the label if it's genuine or not. They can look very different even if they're genuine, so we need someone more experience to give some information. But the batch code on my fake Sketch was A29. I don't know what the number on other fakes are, if it's all the same, so please don't rely on the batch code solely.

fakemac2.jpg

You really can't see on this picture (I apologize for the bad picture, my husband went out with our good camera), but the fake is more brown than the genuine sketch.

fakemac3.jpg

Here swatches on my hand with and without flash (again shame to my husband for going out with his new fantastic camera, and no I don't believe the fakes are dangerous for you, they're just cheap eyeshadows). The genuine is shinyer and smoother than the fake. The fake is quite grainy and dull.

fakemac6.jpg

fakemac5.jpg

And last the one thing that made it clear to me that something was wrong. The magnet. If you look closely you can see it's slightly thicker than the genuine. It just felt a bit wrong putting it in my palette. The magnet was just a little bit stronger and stuck a little bit more to the palette. Again not much, but enough to notice the difference. I have looked at all my pro pans and the magnet is the same size on all of them, so you can quite easily see the difference if you compare it to any pro pan.

fakemac4.jpg

I hope this was helpfull
winkiss.gif

Eleentje

Thanks for the comparison,
I'm correcting this post, cos I've confused the real pan stick with the real one.
I've checked the printing on my pro pan sticker, and it seems to differ from one to another. So in this case it is the fake pan sticker that looks flawless, and the alligning on the real one looks way off.
I must say that the printing on the cardboard packaging seems to be flawless.

rockin

The fake pan also appears to have a ridge/lip around the outside, and doesn't have as much of a curve at the bottom

Eleentje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleentje
Thanks for the comparison,

I must say that the printing on the cardboard packaging seems to be flawless.

Actually, having seen the outer packaging once again, I can see that they missed a space between NET and WT, so it shows as NETWT!
I thought I had seen a ridge on the metal pan too, but wasn't sure I wasn't imagining it.