Has anyone read an 'You Can't Put It Down' book lately?

SagMaria

Nothing has caught my interest as of late, I can't seem to get past the first chapter of the books I have tried to read. RECS PLEASE!!!!!! Doesn't have to be new publications, anything good, your favorites!!
clap.gif

Dark_Phoenix

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

It's another dystopian novel by Atwood, but instead of the US being taken over by Christian extremists and forming Gilead, America has become divided between the rich and the poor on an extreme scale. It's really interesting. Try The Handmaid's Tale if you want to read her first dystopian novel.

PomPoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Tucker Max - I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

If you're easily offended, don't buy it.

There was one article on his website that was so funny i cried, and cried for aaaaages. Partly through hilarity and partly through sheer vileness.

Um...as for good books...I will read *anything* and really fast...trying to think of something good to recommend you.

I don't know if you have her books over your way (was it canada? sorry my brain has fallen out my ear tonight I think) but I love Marian Keyes... she usually writes about serious topics (Drug addiction, being dumped by your husband when you've just given birth to his child and other such things) But they are funny as well in places, and I think well written...any way, my favourite was probably "Rachels Holiday". Its mostly just chick lit really, so its not too hard going
smiles.gif
Look at her website if you like, theres bound to be a chapter or two to read:Marian Keyes

ooor for something more serious, "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom (sp?) was good.

Beauty Mark

Lolita has been favorite book for years. I recommend it if you haven't read it before. It's incredibly well-written; you almost feel bad for the narrator, even though he's twisted individual.

Other than that... I've been reading books that have been made into movies; I like to theme what I read and watch at times. I read the Virgin Suicides, which was good.

blueyedlady87

A few favs- 'The Fountainhead' 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' '1984'
anything Mary Higgins Clark, or if you're into historical fiction try Forever Amber or Gone With the Wind. All these are easy read/get into. Enjoy!

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PomPoko
There was one article on his website that was so funny i cried, and cried for aaaaages. Partly through hilarity and partly through sheer vileness.

Yeah. You may have read the Sushi Pants story, or the Ausin Road Trip.
He's definitely a different type of author, and if refinery etc. is your deal, Tucker's NOT your man.

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Lolita has been favorite book for years. I recommend it if you haven't read it before. It's incredibly well-written; you almost feel bad for the narrator, even though he's twisted individual.

Other than that... I've been reading books that have been made into movies; I like to theme what I read and watch at times. I read the Virgin Suicides, which was good.

I agree about "Lolita". This book was a huge page turner for me. You do end up feeling bad for the narrator, even though he's a sick twisted pedophile. Yet you never find out if he truly did love Lolita, or if it was just something sexual disguised under an illusion of "love". Also, the reader never really understands how *she* feels for him. Does she hate him? You see everything through the narrator's eyes, which leads to thinking she actually reciprocates his feelings. All in all, amazing book!
There have been 2 "Lolita" movies.The recent one from Adrian Lyne was the one I prefered the most. It's a must-watch as well. I think Dominique Swain was excellent in the role of Lolita.

SagMaria

AWESOME!!!! Kepp the suggestions coming, I also love books in which hilarity is prevelent, a good laugh is always great and also some real stories, you know, the ones that don't end like a fairy tale, like real life!

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
I agree about "Lolita". This book was a huge page turner for me. You do end up feeling bad for the narrator, even though he's a sick twisted pedophile. Yet you never find out if he truly did love Lolita, or if it was just something sexual disguised under an illusion of "love". Also, the reader never really understands how *she* feels for him. Does she hate him? You see everything through the narrator's eyes, which leads to thinking she actually reciprocates his feelings. All in all, amazing book!
There have been 2 "Lolita" movies.The recent one from Adrian Lyne was the one I prefered the most. It's a must-watch as well. I think Dominique Swain was excellent in the role of Lolita.

In some sense, I think he loved her but it was mostly infatuation and obsession. I would say if he could actually have her love and affection 100%, he'd get bored. I don't think she loved him, but she craved some sort of love because of her familial situation.

There's very interesting commentary written by literary scholars how it's an analogy for Europe and the US.

The Lyne version is the best, even though the Kubrick was by Kubrick and the script was by Nabokov, but- it just fell flat for me. Jeremy Irons was a great Humbert.

If you want a sort of funny book google "Semisonic drummer book." The drummer of that band, Semisonic, wrote this awesome book about the rise and fall of the band and how the music industry works. It's somewhat funny but kind of bittersweet, because they really aren't any more and they were a pretty good band.

PomPoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Yeah. You may have read the Sushi Pants story, or the Ausin Road Trip.
He's definitely a different type of author, and if refinery etc. is your deal, Tucker's NOT your man.

no its the erm...how to say this nicely *tries to think of a suitable euphemism* Ok not working, when he tries to have "back door" sex with a girl.

it was truly disgusting but the way he wrote it just killed me!! I read a few others but none of them had the same effect on me, unfortunately. I might try and have another read though!

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PomPoko
no its the erm...how to say this nicely *tries to think of a suitable euphemism* Ok not working, when he tries to have "back door" sex with a girl.

it was truly disgusting but the way he wrote it just killed me!! I read a few others but none of them had the same effect on me, unfortunately. I might try and have another read though!

AHHHHHHHH yes. Hilarity does not ensue.

Yeah. He's got a talent for telling a story, despite being a self admitted asshole.
smiles.gif

medusalox

Anything by Poppy Z. Brite, especially Lost Souls.

Brave New World.

Anything by Tom Robbins, especially Still Life With Woodpecker.

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk, especially Invisible Monsters.

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. It's long, but I couldn't put it down...if you like vampires and history nerd stuff, it's for you.

I'm currently re-reading A Wrinkle In Time, and it's still as amazing as ever.
smiles.gif

sabn786

i loved Angels & Demons by Dan Brown..Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini..also The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.. they're actually makin that one into a movie starring Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams...hope that helps!

kaliraksha

I lot of people at work are talking about The Secret but it's more on the line of self help and also Blink .

prinzessin784

I'm reading a great book right now by Pam Jenoff called "The Kommandant's Girl" about a Jewish girl in Poland during WWII. I'm fascinated by that period of history and the story is great!

*Stargazer*

I just recently read Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan and it was wonderful. I also really enjoy Gregory Maguire's books.