Help! Who should I work for? Estee Lauder, Sephora or Bare Escentuals?

mslips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass E
The Sephora where I live is VERY well kept,(AZ) its been open for maybe 6 months so it still very new to the scene. It's in a up scale mall that just opened so I think they are very conscientious of the appearance and staffing as well.
I've had a few experiences at BE counters and I actually went into a BE Botique today to get a "make under" and the gal who helped me really didn't know much. When I would ask her questions about the products, usage etc..she'd just say..uh..um I don't know why? So that was a bit discouraging. I also went into Ulta to look at products and the rep there was also very vague about the brand and really didn't know enough about it. She even told me BE doesn't sell lip liners, any lipgloss other than Buxoms and that all of their natural hair brushes were made of Boar hair. YES, boar hair. Needless to say they are made of goat and pony. I guess you all can see why I am asking for you opinions since one apple shouldn't ruin the barrel and I'd like to stay as objective as possible, if possible. I have my model demo on Monday with BE so we'll see how that goes. I just want to work with a company that has high standards, is a challenge and can utilize my talent. I'm not sure either one of these is it but I'll play it out till the end and see where that leads.
Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it.

Good luck with the job! I know some BE reps and yes they do have high standards and they work very hard!

Omg at our Ulta we HAVE to know everything about BE..we get so many trainings...mainly those who work in prestige have the have BE instilled on our minds so, too bad that happened to you. You probably got a girl who didn't work in prestige or was new. I have so much knowledge on BE, it's the most popular makeup brand at Ulta.

Sass E

SallyPal, I actually left BE, today was my last day. The most I'll say about the experience is that is just was not for me. I L-O-V-E BE products and did learn a lot but I am disappointed it was not the experience or environment I was looking for.

MsLips, The girl at our ULTA isn't well trained in BE and that's disappointing because the product is fantastic and I think she could sell a lot more if her training was more thourough. She's a sweet girl and I go and see her anytime I'm in there but I know she's only limited by what she's been taught so that's really an issue for BE to work on with her so she's equipped with the correct information. I think the management at ULTA limits her training so that might be an issue as well.

Thanks for the advice and the great energy in this thread, it's much appreciated.... I'm currently interviewing with another line, I'll post about it when it's finalized.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

xcutiepie331x

Quote:
SallyPal, I actually left BE, today was my last day. The most I'll say about the experience is that is just was not for me. I L-O-V-E BE products and did learn a lot but I am disappointed it was not the experience or environment I was looking for.

MsLips, The girl at our ULTA isn't well trained in BE and that's disappointing because the product is fantastic and I think she could sell a lot more if her training was more thourough. She's a sweet girl and I go and see her anytime I'm in there but I know she's only limited by what she's been taught so that's really an issue for BE to work on with her so she's equipped with the correct information. I think the management at ULTA limits her training so that might be an issue as well.

Thanks for the advice and the great energy in this thread, it's much appreciated.... I'm currently interviewing with another line, I'll post about it when it's finalized.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that you didnt like about working for BE? I'm just curious because I applied at Macys, and it is possible that I can be sent to work at that counter if I am hired.

SallyPal

I'm curious as well as to what you didn't like about it. It sounds like the training might not have been very thorough for you. My question is how well can BE do at the Nordstrom counter with all the competing brands around plus the Ulta/Sephora boutiques. At any rate I'm sure you'll do well at your next line. You're obviously very passionate and knowledgeable about makeup!

Sass E

Cutiepie331....the chances of you being placed at the BE counter is 50/50..generally those counters are independently managed by BE not Macys. When I was with them we were BE employees not Nordstrom employees, I had to apply and interview with BE. We hired on our own, Nordstrom was not involved at all, I'm not sure if that is the case where you are but generally thats how counters are run in the department stores.

SallyPal, yes, clients would bring that up all the time..how we were oversaturated in the market and what were we doing in Nordstrom since we did have a BE boutique in the same mall as our Nordstrom counters. Actually Nordstrom asked BE to come in because the clientelle was asking for the brand... at least that's what I was told. We don't have any "exclusives" like we should at the Nordstrom BE counters so basically it's the people that make the difference. Thanks for the positive energy, I'm job hunting now and have an interview with a really phenomenal line.. I'm very excited.

SallyPal

Thanks for filling us in, Sass E. I LOVE this board! It is such a great resource.

We are all rooting for you and look forward to the announcement of your new gig wherever that turns out to be!

Happy Thanksgiving!

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyPal
I'm curious as well as to what you didn't like about it. It sounds like the training might not have been very thorough for you. My question is how well can BE do at the Nordstrom counter with all the competing brands around plus the Ulta/Sephora boutiques. At any rate I'm sure you'll do well at your next line. You're obviously very passionate and knowledgeable about makeup!

BE actually does really well in nordstrom, even in malls that already have boutiques. The average BE customer- in my experience- is your every day woman... You know like soccer moms, women running in to try foundation after coming home from work, moms with their kids running around the store. Obviously MAC etc gets these women as well- but they make up the bulk of BE customers. It's a huge convenience for them to be able to put their purchases on nordstrom credit cards.... I think that's probably why BE does so well in there.

SallyPal

What's the word on working for Sephora inside JCPenney, especially concerning Bare Escentuals? What kind of training do associates get? Thanks!

Mac_Lust

Hey! Go for Estee, I live in AZ too,and I worked for Estee at Dillards in Scottsdale Fashion Square. It was the best and I loved it!!! The regonial Manager is awesome and so nice!!! Also the free stuff rocks!!!

mac_addict.gif

Sass E

What I've been told is that BE sends trainers to Sephora and Ulta to train specific employees on the product and how to apply it on clients. I know the girl at my local Ulta and some of my former co workers who came from ULTA have been through this training. I don't know if that applies to JC Penny Sephora's ( I don't see why it wouldn't) and if every region does it this way but I do know that it does happen for those who do.

SallyPal

Thanks, Sass E. You always come through with a thoughtful response. But, another question -- you worked at the BE counter at which retailer in Scottsdale? I wasn't totally clear.

I REALLY want to work with BE products some way, some how!

aeroSOUL

SEPHORA... They will train you so weel, I wouldn't pass them up...
My best friend worked for them for a while and now works at an urban decay counter cause she had to move...but anyways, sephora will send you to pro training and stuff like that, she said now she dosent have to worry about make up school period because of sephora, and you don't have to pay for it!!! I'm going to apply there as soon as I move near one!!! Its just such a great company!

Quote:
Hi all,
This website and it's members are a collective gold mine when it comes to opinions and experiences and I'd like "yours".
I have three potential job offers with the following companies Estee Lauder, Sephora and Bare Escentuals in Nordstroms and I'm not sure which offer to accept. If you've worked for any of these companies, would you be so kind as to give me your view point on the company, working environment and overall experience there? Is there room for advancement, training, supportive management etc?
Thanks in advance!!!!
greengrin.gif