Help with possibly fake pigment, please!

dangerpin

I did a bad thing and turned to eBay when I couldn't find Burnt Burgundy pigment anywhere.

I received mine today, and I'm thinking that it's fake, but wanted some confirmation so I don't accuse a good seller of selling counterfeit pigments.

I'm a little on the fence, mostly because of a post I saw elsewhere where a jar that looked similar to mine was deemed as being real:
My Makeup Review - MAC fake pigment vs. real thing:

Anyway! Here are some photos of my pigment in question:
bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb4.jpg

bb5.jpg

bb6.jpg

bb7.jpg

In case some are mega hard to see, the batch code is A86 and is shown on a clear label on the bottom of the jar, as well as printed on top of the bar code (which I've never seen done before, but then again I don't have a bunch of pigments to compare it to).

Please let me know if you need a photo of anything else that will help me figure this crap out.

Here are a few things that I noticed:
- there is no ingredient listing on the box (the 2 boxes that I do have list them on one side)
- ingredients only listed in the warning paper thingy inside the box
- no printed batch code printed on the box itself, just on the barcode label. I've seen this done for other products, but not pigments.. does this happen?
- label on the box is wide and not as long
- lid seems a bit... shiny? But I hear that this sometimes happened with PRO pigments.

Thanks again for your help! <3

panda0410

This looks like a counterfeit, but, is the there any chance you can get a clearer picture of the base of the jar at all please just to be sure?

julie150463

quote=panda0410;1939028]This looks like a counterfeit, but, is the there any chance you can get a clearer picture of the base of the jar at all please just to be sure?[/quote]

The one I bought at the weekend is only 2.5g

S1052029-1.jpg

panda0410

Julie I can't see the base insignia in yours that I was looking for in the top, in the top pigment its there, but not clearly. Yours has an unusual UPC sticker, is it supposed to be 2.4gm? I got rid of my BB piggie and only some of the pro colours were 2.4gm, it was so long ago I cant remember if these older jars were 2.4gm or 7gms?
shrugs.gif

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Julie I can't see the base insignia in yours that I was looking for in the top, in the top pigment its there, but not clearly. Yours has an unusual UPC sticker, is it supposed to be 2.4gm? I got rid of my BB piggie and only some of the pro colours were 2.4gm, it was so long ago I cant remember if these older jars were 2.4gm or 7gms?
shrugs.gif

LOL - I've never 100% got to grips with all this fake piggie malarky. All I can tell you was this one was bought by myself at a CCO so has to be authentic (have receipt
thmbup.gif
)

Will email you later
yes.gif
x

Care

hold your jar up to the light at an angle, see if you can see very faint lines etched into the plastic that run horizontally around the jar. All of my authentic pigments have them, my one fake did not.

I know matte pigments are 2.5g. My Pink matte pigment is also 2.5

angi

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
^^Not all of the mattes are 2.5gm, there are several that are not
winks.gif

Do we have a list of the ones that are meant to be 7.5g and those that are meant to be 2.5g anywhere? I've been slowly trying to put one together, but without actually buying all the mattes (or those that look like mattes), it's pretty difficult.

dangerpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
quote=panda0410;1939028]This looks like a counterfeit, but, is the there any chance you can get a clearer picture of the base of the jar at all please just to be sure?

The one I bought at the weekend is only 2.5g

S1052029-1.jpg
[/quote]
This helped a great deal! Thank you so much! And so the quest for Burnt Burgundy continues. -_-

dangerpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care
hold your jar up to the light at an angle, see if you can see very faint lines etched into the plastic that run horizontally around the jar. All of my authentic pigments have them, my one fake did not.

I know matte pigments are 2.5g. My Pink matte pigment is also 2.5

Thanks for the tip!!
greengrin.gif

MissResha

this is totally fake, i can tell by the lid alone, in the most recent pic you posted, look at the edge of the lid closest to the box (which also gives it away), its all shaved lookin. i can also see that fake plasticky appearance.

burnt burgandy is a very popular fake on eBay too.

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
this is totally fake, i can tell by the lid alone, in the most recent pic you posted, look at the edge of the lid closest to the box (which also gives it away), its all shaved lookin. i can also see that fake plasticky appearance.

burnt burgandy is a very popular fake on eBay too.

Which jar are you referring to the A86 or the A67? The A67 was bought on Saturday at a CCO so can not be counterfeit

LMD84

i am swaying towards the OP's pigment being fake. it's the lid that makes me think twice about it -too shiney and also looks like the shape is slightly off... although that could just be the angle of the photo of course...

marusia

It's def a fake. Like MissResha said, the lid is shaved. Also, the weight is off, that's the most obvious in comparison.

I think from now on, if I ever get a fake, I'm just going to mix it with clear nail polish and make some pretty colors LOL. That's the only thing I could think to do, unless you wanted to mix it with a medium and paint, like gesso or something.
th_dunno.gif