How do you afford your MAC??

pinkvanilla

I never even thought about CPs! Definitely an option
smiles.gif

Skeeta

Haha I CAN'T afford it!

I buy most of my MAC overseas because I hate the escalated prices in Australia. I also take advantage of friends/family who travel to the US and of course US websites that ship to Australia!

Efionawade

Haha well, I work for MAC, and I put a few things that I know I reeeally want on hold, and then when I have some extra spending money from doing freelance, I look at the stuff I have on hold and decide what stuff I -need-!

Septemba

I just buy bits and pieces here and there. I try to take care of the basics so that any cash left over can go on the fun stuff.

MU is becoming my main hobby these days, so I'm spending a lot on it. But I don't spend money I don't have, so that takes some of the pain away!

A couple of items a week will add up to a nicely rounded collection in time!

But essentially, just budgetting.
smiles.gif
And like CatsMeow said, researching a lot so disappointments are limited. I really enjoy reading about what I plan to buy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
^^LOL, well when you do we'd love to see it
smiles.gif
Nothing like the virgin haul....LOLOL!!
greengrin.gif

ROFL.

~Crystal~

CPs. Definately CPs, thanks to a couple of very lovely girls from the US on specktra! Even then I have to budget, sell items that I don't use and buy from the sale threads here on specktra which often offer really good deals
smiles.gif

I WILL buy things from the counters here every now and then... but relative to the amount of mac I own, I would say that i have purchased about 10% of my total collection here. I only buy here if I know something is sold out in the US, or if our exchange rate is so bad that things turn out roughly the same after shipping (ahem MSFs)!

billy_cakes

I only earn an apprentice wage which makes things very hard sometimes but im lucky that ive never really been a shoes/bag/clothes kinda girl so most of my "play" money can go on mac. Ive just slowly been working on getting a good basic collection and i got given a 22 napoleon brush set for christmas a few years ago so that has saved me alot of getting a full brush set from mac I just add a few brushes here and there if i feel i really need it.

and with collections i make a list of everything thats coming out with it and just leave it on my desk and i usually find by being on specktra and temptalia it will help me wittle my list down easily

I also find taking a good look at what you do have helps as well because it saves you from buying dupes of colours

garganovich

i turn on the smiles and do a few jobs around the house (my parents are amazing lol) however, i'm thinking i'll need a job sooner or later, there's just so much i want :O

as for going on a crazy M.A.C haul, i can't wait until i have my first hahaha, i bet it's super exciting getting it all home and being able to use it all for the first time
lol.gif

but at least majority of you would have a M.A.C store/counter in your state, here in canberra we don't
ssad.gif
which internet orders (i hateeeee them)

at the end of the day it comes down to planning and what you want most. just choose carefully and enjoy it
smiles.gif

Skeeta

What does CP actually stand for?

Its when you get girls o/s to buy the product and ship it to you? And you pay them (obviously cheaper than buying here)

Is that right?

panda0410

I dont afford anything right now... unless its a dazzleglass (which I would def buy) or a cremesheen glass or a brush then I am on a BAN.... until further notice anyway
winks.gif
hehehehe

iaisha26

That's exactly right and it's the best way to build a collection if you live outside of the states. I do CP for tons of people in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeta
What does CP actually stand for?

Its when you get girls o/s to buy the product and ship it to you? And you pay them (obviously cheaper than buying here)

Is that right?

miss_bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I dont afford anything right now... unless its a dazzleglass (which I would def buy) or a cremesheen glass or a brush then I am on a BAN.... until further notice anyway
winks.gif
hehehehe

Dazzleglass! Must have them all.

I buy from ebay mostly-reputable sellers only. Besides that I just bought a Hello Kitty TLC from allcosmeticswholesale.com. Looking forward to buying from here too.

shazzy99

I have really cut down and haven't bought anything for a while now. I used to buy all of my stuff from Saks, but now with our lousy dollar I don't think it's worth it. I used to plan ahead and buy so much from each collection, but lately I have bought glosses or lipsticks only if I really like the colour.

I have a full time job, so even though I pay a mortgage etc., always leave myself something aside for personal spending. I always feel like if you work hard, you should be able to buy something for yourself.

*lolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy99
I have really cut down and haven't bought anything for a while now. I used to buy all of my stuff from Saks, but now with our lousy dollar I don't think it's worth it. I used to plan ahead and buy so much from each collection, but lately I have bought glosses or lipsticks only if I really like the colour.

I have a full time job, so even though I pay a mortgage etc., always leave myself something aside for personal spending. I always feel like if you work hard, you should be able to buy something for yourself.

I totally agree with you. I have a full time job and I'm paying off a mortgage as well, and I do put a little aside for personal spending. I basically keep my MAC purchases to one or two items at a time (after tons of research) which makes it more affordable and I get plenty use of my purchases (instead of having a few untried items etc). The only large haul I've done is for Hello Kitty and for Hello Kitty only
smiles.gif

lushlady15

I'm like many other girls on here, I pass on other things (morning coffee etc) to put toward makeup! I buy a lot of my MAC from ladies in America though, even with the bad exchange it works out so much cheaper
smiles.gif

piink_liily

^^^ Yes I've also been cutting down on my coffee habits in order to fund my MAC. Making my own lunch saves me a heap of money, I take the bus too. It all adds up!

atwingirl

I find that going in with a list of items that I am truly focused on purchasing helps curb/cut down on impulse add ons! It is easy to get carried away and excited with all the product in the store. If you find a product/color you like, unless it is LE of course, it will be there on your next visit. Swatch it, go home and get some sleep. Then see if it makes your list the next day! I think you will find that the items that make your list will be your most used items in the long run.