How do you feel about make-up vending machines?

Temptasia

Who says a makeup addict can't get her fix in a bowling alley?

Sorta like when a smoker buys cigarettes from those machines.

User49

I think it would be lovely for smaller companies like Bonne Bell where all you need is like a chapstick. But I wouldn't like to get Elizabeth Arden products or Estee Lauder or Mac stuff from a machine, because you need advice with the higher end cosmetics...

landonsmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
Gosh....Has anyone ever tried to get a candy bar/a bag of chips, etc. from a vending machine and have it get stuck? Well, I'd be pretty pissed if that happened with a $60 compact!

LOL! that's what i was thinking too! imagine going to a vending machine that carries MAC & dispensing $14 for an eyeshadow only for the machine to eat your money or give you the wrong color. LOL. that would SUCK.

MAC_Whore

I will say that it sounds odd. I would have to learn to wrap my brain around that new paradigm. I do agree that you lose customer service, but if you are looking for customer service, than I am sure those folks would have the sense to visit a counter. Well, one would like to think so.

I think it is a great if it's an effective tool for someone who knows what they want and would like it in a hurry.

I worry about the practical issues like: Can I return it? Where? What if the item dispensed is broken? For example, I have an iPod. I know how it works. I don't need help in purchasing it, but if it breaks a day after I buy it - what then? I'm sure they have systems in place, but I wouldn't be happy if they required extra steps.

redambition

I'm not a big fan of vending machines. I like the human contact aspect of buying something from a shop.

If there's little alternative, then i'll use one, but i always prefer to buy from a shop, even for a plain old bottle of water.

it's an interesting and possibly useful concept for the person who knows what they want and wants it quickly, but i'm not usually in that much of a hurry.

*Stargazer*

There are grocery vending machines out there. They are like full service grocery stores. You can get eggs and all kinds of things. I think it is totally cool. Probably not something I'd use cause I like to touch things I buy, but still cool.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I've seen vending machines like these in high end Hotels. buying everything from GPS navigation systems to shampoo, Its insane! but I think its really neat

reverieinbflat

The mark up for a vending machine soda is ridiculous, especially in malls and heavily trafficked areas. Do all these no machine have a huge mark-up too? Instead $2 for a carton of eggs, it's $4. You're paying for the convenience.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverieinbflat
The mark up for a vending machine soda is ridiculous, especially in malls and heavily trafficked areas. Do all these no machine have a huge mark-up too? Instead $2 for a carton of eggs, it's $4. You're paying for the convenience.

I know the Proactiv machine in my area is the same pricing that I've seen on informercials and about.

I felt bad one day because there was this 14yo-ish girl, and she was SO embarassed by her mom buying the proactiv right there in the middle of the mall for her.

Divinity

I'm totally for the personal connection with the sales people and the MAs - that is half the fun! Nerts to the vending machine.

darkishstar

Hmm, I think, maybe if they had the vending machine right next to the counter. So the people who know what they want can just get it there and not bother with the counter and can get it from there. Other than that, I can't see why people would bother with them. With all the LE collections, I doubt MAC could put more than the basics in there anyways.

noahlowryfan

i saw the Elizabeth Arden vending machine right in front of the train station's entrance/exit inside the mall in the food court area.

CandyKisses1018

lmao kudos to the chick that thought up makeup compacts getting stuck like our bags of chips do... lmao.. that'd be ridiculous..

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses1018
lmao kudos to the chick that thought up makeup compacts getting stuck like our bags of chips do... lmao.. that'd be ridiculous..

Imagine that since people already beat up machines to get the stuck bags of chips out... what a make-up crazed chick would do to get a stuck $20+ compact out!
th_LMAO.gif

Joslyn

i've bought products out of a proactiv vending machine before. it is a bit easier, considering that i didn't have to wait for it to come in the mail, pay for s&h and all that jazz.

but, there were people watching me, and i wanted to shoo them away. its not exciting if i buy a bottle of water in a vending machine, why must you watch me buy something to get rid of my acne?

ginger9

I think its a cool idea.

There's been a few times where I left the house in a rush only to find out I forgot to take my makeup bag with me and then I'd spend the good part of my day avoiding people at work, trying to hide at my desk and desperately looking for some l/g, mascara or lip balm. If there was a vending machine at work or in the building I wouldn't have to wait until I have some free time to run to the nearest drug store.

I imagine this would work well at airporta too, once you've passes access to the duty free shops.

It will work best for those who know what they want already, and I think they should offer a slight discount since there's no service or samples provided
tong.gif

chocolategoddes

i saw one at the mall. I don't think you'll see them installed in your office kitchen or at your local middle school but it could be useful at airports or someplace.

Juneplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
well seeing as elizabeth arden's makeup is as disposable as a coke can, i think it's a pretty good idea...

th_LMAO.gif