How do you keep your stuff BNIB?

ilexica

Probably an incredibly daft question, but here goes. I keep seeing sales and swaplists with enormous numbers of BNIB items. For those of you who have a lot of stuff in this condition, how on earth do you keep from using it?! The vast majority of my stuff is 'used once, in traincase' rather than BNIB. I rush home from MAC thinking that this product is going to change my life, rip the packaging off, hyperventilate a bit, wear it the next day and then...nothing. Maybe I'll swatch it in 6 months' time when I realise I've not looked at it, and then it goes up for swap. I buy things with the best of intentions, expecting them to be my new best friend, and sometimes they just aren't. So for those of you who don't have 'birthday present syndrome' (OMG I must get this wrapping off and play with it NOW!), seriously, how do you keep yourself from taking things out the packaging to try them? Do you not want to put something on as soon as you get home? I'm jealous of your impulse control!

miss_primer

It most likely was a backup. I sold some things that were BNIB. I was once sent doubles of an order I made with maccosmetics.com. They let me keep both black boxes. In the order I had 2 merrily blushes. I ended swatching one and hating it and sold that one and the other one bnib. Sometimes people buy multiples of the same things and realize they will never get through them all. Sometimes people buy multiples of an item, thinking they will love it because other people rave about it only to hate it and the rest go up for sale BNIB.

abbyquack

Ilexica, I am just like you, I can't buy a product and not want to immediately try it on! I have a few select back ups, but I'm kinda particular about what I back-up, so most of them I doubt I will ever sell. But yea, some ppl go crazy and buy 5 of one thing, thinking they can't bear to live without it- but I think most ppl who do that eventually realize it's all too much!

Care

my BNIB items are mostly backups, I keep them separated from my daily use make up (in a different room actually). It's not that difficult to keep from using them
smiles.gif

GlamQueen21

I keep my backups in a drawer and it's getting full. It's filled with items that I love so much and that's why I buy backups of my favorite LE items.

vtzshedevil

i buy those three drawer slide out organizers to organize my BNIB items from face to eyes to lips and i have another for brushes, sponges, and BNIB pallette cases.

Civies

I am exactly like you! Even when I'm not home yet I'll sit my butt down on a bench at the mall and swatch my makeup tehhee. Or when I buy new clothes I have it with me for a few hours while I'm sitting on the comp and I'll just be looking at it for 5 minutes and throw it on my lap. I love new clothes smell ....
smiles.gif

I am weird.

obscuria

Most of my BNIB stuff are backups or gifts that I just never got around to using. I tend to be impulsive when buying make-up and act like they'll disappear forever if I don't get it... It's my one weakness. Also because I will really like a product, tell myself I need to get a backup so I don't have to worry about running out, and then "get over" the product.

I have a bunch of pigments that are BNIB because I keep buying them telling myself I will use them, but honestly I just never find myself reaching for them.

soveryfabulous

For the most part when I've swapped BNIB items, it was backups, or something that I had around for so long without using that I figured I could part with it.

Brittany88

I've wondered the same thing before.
smiles.gif
I'm definitely the kind of person who has to try and swatch things right after I buy them, so this has been puzzling me for a while. Now I feel enlightened. hha

ilexica

Thank you guys! That makes sense. At least I'm happy to know I'm not the only one that rips packaging off on the non-backup straight away
winks.gif

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civies
I am exactly like you! Even when I'm not home yet I'll sit my butt down on a bench at the mall and swatch my makeup tehhee.

This is me. A few days ago I went to get a package with some makeup from the post office, and while waiting for the bus home I ripped it open and started swatching lipliners on my hand. I should mention that it was super cold out and I had to take my gloves off to play with the makeup, but I still couldn't resist.
blush-anim-cl.gif

Susanne

I am a freak for inprints
lol.gif

I can't touch my Barbie products because I love the Barbie inprint so much
love.gif

Simply Elegant

Some people buy backups for "ebay purposes" with no intention of using too so they can jack up the price when it gets rare.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I am a freak for inprints
lol.gif

I can't touch my Barbie products because I love the Barbie inprint so much
love.gif

Don't worry she's still there when you get quite a bit down
lol.gif

kabuki_KILLER

Sometimes I buy something similar to what I have, so I just keep it around until I run out of what I'm already using, unless it's a product that will dry up or expire quickly. I also used to buy two of things I loved, but then I realized that I don't use as much in one application as I imagined. ^^;;;

tangledrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
This is me. A few days ago I went to get a package with some makeup from the post office, and while waiting for the bus home I ripped it open and started swatching lipliners on my hand. I should mention that it was super cold out and I had to take my gloves off to play with the makeup, but I still couldn't resist.
blush-anim-cl.gif

Ok, that just proves your dedication! The worst thing about the cold is you don't want to expose any skin, even if it is playing with pretties!

I'm with the majority here thinking they must be selling backups... I've never had a back up of anything, though! I can't afford it! Most of my sale/swap items are just SIB because I'll swatch them and decide they don't work for me.