How Hard is it Moving Abroad

Gorgeous2407

So I'm an American I'm female 27 years old I'm a MUA and i want to move to the UK.I'm single I'm not married and I'm not getting married,not yet anyway lol I'm not ruling out marriage or anything its just not in my near future lol Anyway I also have no children either.I would be moving alone,just me.How hard is it to be allowed to move into to the UK for me do you think? Where would i even start? I know this is a beauty forum but i know people that come on here are from all over the world and i just thought maybe somebody might have some input or advice. Thanks for reading
smiles.gif
Have a lovely day!

vintageroses

Hellos!
smiles.gif
Good on you! really brave!
greengrin.gif
I moved overseas too but i think in a bit of a different situation from you?

I moved overseas when i was 19 for collage, it was really hard initially. I'm really close to my family & just being so comfortable at home. It gradually got better after making friends & doing stuff together. Made me miss home less! I think the first step is abit scary but once you're in it, you just feel like you are getting the hang of it!

Well now 2 years later I must say I've learnt alot from living on my own & it's been a real experience! I think I'm pretty young when i came here so I've really experienced alot!
smiles.gif

I'll say find a job for starters? At least you have something to lean on & try to find a hobby you like or join something which you like to meet more people! I'm a dancer so I joined a dance school in the city. I think when 2 people have the same passion, it is possible to become really good friends through that passion
smiles.gif
& of course for myself i had my University friends & church friends
smiles.gif
I'm a happy camper!
greengrin.gif
okays i'll stop rambling but all the best in your moveee!

LMD84

i think that you'll have a great time in the uk! so good for you for wanting to make such a life changing move. i've not moved countries but i know many members who have that will hopefully see this thread and will give some advice on what you need to do.

I take it you'll have to get a visa to be able to stay in the uk for a long time and also make sure that you have a job here. perhaps it would also be a good idea to take a trip here for a week or so if finatially possible. that way you will be able to get judge just how well you'd think you'd settle in. things here are quite different from the states... some things i think are better here - like our NHS and that you don't have to pay for medical treatment here. but some things are worse here - it's very hard for people to get jobs and also i feel customer service is better in the states

Sojourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
things here are quite different from the states... some things i think are better here - like our NHS and that you don't have to pay for medical treatment here. but some things are worse here - it's very hard for people to get jobs and also i feel customer service is better in the states

Ditto to all of the above!

I'll also add that it depends on where in the UK you intend to move...if you stick to London, Edinburgh or other really central locations, you will be fine, if you are move to the sticks/suburbs, you will find it much harder. I'm from the UK and whenever I go out of London, I feel really lost and culture-shocked (but I am a big baby too).

Gorgeous2407

As far as going for a visit,Ive already been and Ive always fit in flawlessly.I think Ive always been meant to live there.Ive never experience culture shock.And in any differences between the USA and the UK i welcome and i love learning the subtle differences.And i truly truly feel more at home then i have ever felt here.Not that i don't love it here because i do,America is my home and i love it too.But Ive just have always felt i belonged in England.Ive always feel and feel that its where I'm suppose to be.I think its a beautiful country and i really enjoy it.And I'm pushing 30 now and i have no kids i have no husband and not much family.Most of my family live far away and are very busy with families of there own.My friends have families now too and not much time.So i really want to move to the next stage of my life and make big life changes.And the UK is where i want to be.I'm just afraid they wont let me stay lol I don't the rules or the process or what it involves even where to begin because Ive never known anyone that's moved to another country.I am afraid they wont let me stay because i really really would love so much to live in the UK in England especially.Also a worry is working as a freelance MUA here is fine.But moving to another country you need a steady job right? And MUA don't have guaranteed steady work.So what sort of job could i get? Cosmetic counter work? I a MUA because 1 its my passion and i love creating but also because i love helping others make positive changes in there lives and touching others lives in such a good way.I don't ever want to give that up.Well i hope the others who have moved from one country to another see my post an ffer some help and information too.Thank you all for responding.Ive always wanted to move to the UK so it feels really cool and exciting to start making some steps in that direction
smiles.gif

P.S. About the NHS: I believe you can only use the NHS if you are a citizen which i am not.But i have had bad health issues and two serious conditions in the past concerning my heart health.But i wouldn't expect the NHS to pay for anything.If anything happened id pay for it myself.But during that time i wasn't capable of working so i had temporary SSI for awhile till i was better.Which i now am.Would that affect being eligible to move there do you think?

User38

Do a google search on the requirements for living/working in the UK. That will give you an idea of what you need to do and what is necessary for visa requirements.

If you have health issues, the NHS in England, and most countries that have NHS will cover you and provide coverage -- but that is one of the reasons that could prevent you from obtaining a stay/work permit.

But do check the requirements first.

Gorgeous2407

But the thing with the NHS is that i don't need the coverage i can pay for my own medical care if needed.I do need an annual or bi annual MRIs but i would fly back to the states to see my own Doctor who i love and trust wholeheartedly.But thank you i will look again
smiles.gif

LMD84

hhhmmm potentially your health issues may cause some issues about staying in the uk.... also i thought that even though you weren't from this country, if you are working here you are automatically paying national insurence which i believe goes to the NHS. so therefore your medical treatment would be free.

JustDivine

There have recently been significant changes to the immigration rules for entry to the UK for non-EU migrants, and even more stringent measures are anticipated regulating entry of non-EU migrants in the near future.

The Points Based System is now the main system for people applying to live and work in the UK from outside the EU. There are different "Tiers" applying to different types of migrant worker, so you have to apply for a visa under the correct Tier. There used to be many more categories but they have all been recently streamlined to restrict numbers of entry.

Tier 2 is for Skilled Workers who have a job and a sponsor (the employer) and are coming to fill a position which cannot be filled by a settled worker. The only way you can apply/succeed under this Tier is if you find a job before coming, and to be honest, unless you are in a particularly niche area of the job market, or willing to work for very low pay, it is unlikely that coming from the US, you will find a job that cannot be filled by a settled worker in the UK. So whilst I would advise you to do your best looking for a job whilst you are still in your country, I wouldn't pin my hopes on obtaining a job/visa under Tier 2.

Alternatively, and most likely, you will need to apply under Tier 1 of the PBS which is for highly skilled migrants, investors, entrepreneurs and graduates of UK universities. You do not need to have a job to apply for a visa under this Tier, which means that if you apply and are granted a visa, you can come and live and look for work (or not) and take your time looking once you are here.
I'm guessing you are neither an entrepreneur (in the strict sense), an investor or a graduate from a UK university. In which case, you can only apply with any chance of success under the Tier 1 (General) which requires you to be highly skilled, with good English and with enough money to support yourself. Basically, on the basis of information in your application, you are awarded "points"....so everything from your age, whether you have a degree, what jobs you have had in the past and other experience, how much you have earnt in the past, language skills and funds etc....they all attract points. The more "highly skilled" you appear to be, the more points you get. You need a certain total of points for entry into the UK: 75 to be exact.
You get 20 points for age up to 29; 10 points if 30 and over
You get 10 points for English language proficiency
You get a grade of points depending on whether you have an MBA/PhD/Masters/Bachelors degree from 75 points to 30 points. You get 0 if you have none of these.
You must have at least £2,800 funds to support yourself and have no recourse to public funds: you get 10 points for meeting this maintenance requirement but if you don't have it, you can't get a visa even if you have over 75 points.

You also get points for previous earnings and previous earnings in the UK. This ranges from 75 points if you've earned £150,000 in the last 12-15 months, on a scale down to 0 points if you have earned less than £25,000 in the last 12-15 months.

You could consider coming here on a visit/holiday: you wouldnt need to obtain a visa. You could then work hard at finding a job, and apply for the Tier 1 visa from inside the country, or once you find a job, apply for the Tier 2/Employer Sponsored Visa. Failing that, you could spend a couple of months really experiencing life in the UK to determine the ins and outs of living here.

Re the NHS, you can access the NHS if you are legally living in the UK (indefinite leave, with a Tier 1 visa, or some other means of legal residence) but you may not access other "public funds" for a period of time.

I think that the cultural side is one part of moving abroad...it's the logistics and the actual planning about what you're going to do here that is important. How are you going to live? Can you afford to live here now or do you need to save for a while? Rent in London is expensive, and if you don't have a job when you first arrive, you'll need to find a way to pay for that. As for work...there is work in the beauty industry, but there isn't exactly a shortage of beauty consultants/makeup artists in the industry. Your best bet would be to join a brand and then work at moving within the industry or going freelance. But it's all about contacts...and you'll need to build them up before going freelance I guess.
Maybe you don't want to be in London? Have you thought about where exactly in the country you want to go? Looked at cost of living etc...?

InspiredBlue

Clearly the NHS isn't the issue here - even though it should be said that most of these types of systems are residence based, not citizenship based.

The real issue is that you need a work permit. You can read more about the categories of migrants that are eligible here: UK Border Agency | Working in the UK

As for the emotional side of things, since I'm a life time expat I'm pretty much like a potted plant with no deep roots, so can't offer a relevant perspective.

captodometer

I'm American, but I moved to New Zealand and worked there for a couple of years. The New Zealand immigration system is very much like the one for the United Kingdom:you have very little chance of getting a visa without an employer to sponsor you, unless you happen to be highly skilled. New Zealand also required that your occupation be in a skills shortage area; I think it's going to be similar in the UK. I think before an EU company can offer employment to a non-EU resident, they have to prove that there was no EU resident available who was qualified for and wanted the job. In the UK, this might even extend to include residents of the Commonwealth countries, but not one hundred percent sure about this. I was authorized to work in the UK by virtue of my New Zealand permanent residence.

"Highly skilled" usually refers to people like doctors and engineers. "Entrepeneur" usually means somebody who has $250K to invest in their new country. Many countries also issue work visas for agricultural workers. As a MUA, you don't really seem to fall into any of the above categories.

I got a permanent residence visa before ever leaving for New Zealand. I'm a veterinarian, so I got to apply under the "skilled migrant" category. And most of the world is severely short on veterinarians in general, especially those willing to do public health. So I got bonus points added to my application. I didn't need a job offer and I got the first job I applied for once I got there. As a MUA without a sponsor and a job offer, I think that your chances of getting a visa are slim to nonexistent.

Your medical issues don't help, either. Once you enter a country legally on work permit, you are generally entitled to stay as long as you continue working. By simply arriving in the country and not leaving, you would eventually earn permanent residence or citizenship, making NHS responsible for your medical problems forever.

Compared to other developed countries, the cost of living in the US is extremely low. You will definitely be in for some sticker shock if you move to the UK. I definitely recommend what a few other posters have said: go on vacation and look around. You might find a sponsor before your tourist visa expires (60 days?). Or you might decide that you will be better off in the US.

SnowAngel1106

I guess my take on moving abroad would be different since I did it for a military move but here's it is anyway lol I don't know much about the visa or immigration stuff, and this response is basically an emotional summary of how I felt moving abroad....

I moved to Japan from South Carolina in Nov 2008. My husband is military so it really wasn't an option for me not to go, unless I wanted to live without him for two years - which I didn't lol The hardest part for me wasn't the weather, or the language barrier or any of that. It was the initial feeling of complete and utter loneliness. Being SO far away from everything I've known for my whole life (my family is in Virginia, so being a car ride away was GREAT) was really hard. My husband was back to work within a week of getting here and I was just stuck here. He was deployed not long after we arrived on island! No license, no car, no friends, no idea of how to get around. It took me six months before I even attempted to drive off base, on Okinawan roads. But it (life) got easier as I got out more, even if it was just walking around by myself. And as soon as I made a few friends who I felt were worth it - I didn't even care that I was stuck on this island by myself!

You just have to be independent, and strong - which I think most of the ladies on this site are from my observation. You can do anything you put your mind to and if you can dream it, you can achieve it. And hell, you're young and free - why not see the world while you still have the chance to do it, right?!

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer

Compared to other developed countries, the cost of living in the US is extremely low. You will definitely be in for some sticker shock if you move to the UK. I definitely recommend what a few other posters have said: go on vacation and look around. You might find a sponsor before your tourist visa expires (60 days?). Or you might decide that you will be better off in the US.

oh yes, things in the uk are extremely expencive compared to things in the us. there are cheaper places to live of course. for example nick's sister lives in london. she pays the same amount on a one bed studio flat (which is very crappy looking) that we do on a 3 bedroomed house which is quite new. food is more expencive here too!

anita22

I moved to the UK just over a year ago. I'm from New Zealand, but as my husband was offered a scholarship to study at Oxford, there was really no turning down the opportunity! I am very lucky that my husband is an EU citizen, which has meant that I have been able to obtain residence here in the UK. Most other friends I have here who aren't EU citizens are here on working visas (though as someone has mentioned, they're much more difficult to get these days), e.g. if they have transferred internally within a large corporation.

For me the culture hasn't really been a shock (NZ having British roots and all), but the lifestyle change has been huge. I spend 10 hours per week commuting, and things are much more expensive for me here than they were at home. I'm used to things being fresh and new and open, and seeing the ocean - then moved to Oxford, where everything is cramped and ancient, lol. However, I love being in Europe and try to take as much advantage of being close to the rest of Europe as I can, so I try and travel a lot. In the last month I've been to Paris, Monaco and Switzerland. And while I don't live in London itself, it's not that far away so I often go in during the weekend. I think it also helps that I have lived in other countries before so I'm pretty used to being far from home, and as I came with my husband, I have never really been alone. Of the people I know who have come over as singles, the ones who seem to settle in the best are those who either make friends quickly, or else move in with people they get along with. Otherwise it can be pretty lonely.

In terms of actually moving over physically - that part was not so hard as I literally left nothing behind. We brought some belongings over (mostly clothes and personal items) either with us or sent by mail, and everything else we sold or gave away.

As others have mentioned - it seems like it'd be a good idea to come over for a visit before you think about the long haul, if that's an option. Alternatively, perhaps you could come over and study (even if it's a short course it might still be fun)?