How long did it take you...

*Luna*

To get pregnant? DH and I have been talking about when to stop taking the pill, it's not going to happen quite yet BUT it really has got me thinking... I have taken it for about 10 years now and have heard it can take time for your body to adjust and get pregnant... at the same time I know many girls who got pregnant right away. Did you just go at it until it happened or were you diligently trying and doing things like OPK's and charting?

zori

Well I can not talk from experience but one of my girl friends was on the pill for approx 3 years. It took them 1 year to get pregnant. They just went for it and was blessed with a beautiful boy. She did go to see the doc just before she discontinued the pill though just to ensure all was in order. HTHS ...

*Stargazer*

I got pregnant with my first four months after going off the pill, the first month we tried. I got pregnant with my third five months after going off of the Ring, but it took all five months of trying.

I would highly recommend that you start charting now. I wouldn't spend money on OPKs yet, because you may not ever need them. I would recommend you go to fertilityfriend.com and start charting. That way, if, God forbid, you do have trouble conceiving after a long period of time, you have months of documentation that can help your doctor when trying to pinpoint a problem. And if you can see early patterns emerging, you can up your chances of getting pregnant by using the right timing.

Good luck!

*Luna*

Thanks for the great info. We were going to just go for it and see what happens but I think the charting would be a good idea, like you said, just in case. I don't want to fall into charting dependancy though at the same time, maybe after 2-4 months if we get nothing. I know people who are all Nazi about charting and using OPK's and other fertility monitors and I think that takes the fun out of it.

Honestly the idea of pregnancy is still a little scary to me. A part of me worries about infertility and the other part worries about getting pregnant our first try! I hope that makes sense.

*Stargazer*

You can chart and have it be very low key. I never used anything but the basic free chart they offer and my daily temps. That way I got to understand what my body was doing different times of the month.

There are some uber-obsessive charters, though. I just am not that type of person, so I did the minimum necessary LOL. I never bought an OPK or other type of monitor because I just didn't want to get that involved.

*Luna*

And congrats on your pregnancy!!! How exciting!

I really want to buy Take Charge of Your Fertility so I can better understand all that business. Have you read it?

*Stargazer*

It is a great book, one I highly recommend. You may be surprised by the things that you think you know about your body and conception that you find out you don't really know!

jenii

Uh... Hehe. Well, I had been on the pill for years, but I guess had forgotten a couple of days of pills, then ended up pregnant.
lol.gif

glamdoll

I was on the pill for 4months and took them everyday on the hour and STILL ended up pregnant w my first child. but I was given the
"mini pill" the bright green ones w low estrogen..
now Im on the regular ones and it seems to be workin..
I hope!
I dunno how the pill failed me but it makes other ppl take long to conceive?...

dreaeluna

i got pregnant right away with my son, like the next month but i am fertile myrtle. Being pre med I know doctors say from 4-6 months is average.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Luna*
I really want to buy Take Charge of Your Fertility so I can better understand all that business. Have you read it?

I've got to read that. This might be TMI, but I haven't had a period in almost a year, been on hormonal treatments, etc and nothing. We thought it would only take 4-6 months to conceive, but it's taking us forever for me to even start menstruating.

I've had friends who were on birth control for a considerable amount of time and most ended up pregnant within the first year of trying. Good luck to you when that time comes
smiles.gif

Moppit

The first time I got pregnant really, really fast but the second time took over a year and then only after I resorted to charting my temperature.

kimone2004

I had to post to this because, ironically, someone asked me about this yesterday at work. I had been taking the pill for 7 years, since the birth of my daughter. I got remarried in Nov. 2005 and my husband and I decided to try to get pregnant. I went to the dr. the first part of Nov, and the dr. said, "it will take you a while since you've been on the pill so long. It takes some time for the hormones to completely leave your body". To make a long story short, I got pregnant Christmas night (one month after coming off the pill) and am now the proud mother of 6 month old TWIN boys. Good luck!!!

Another Janice!

I was on the pill for almost 7 years. Stopped taking it on June 23 and was pregnant the first week of August 2002.

Miscarried the last week of Sept. (D&C's suck) waited until I healed from that...and was pregnant again the last week of November.

Was off the pill for a month and got pregnant twice in one year.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaeluna
i got pregnant right away with my son, like the next month but i am fertile myrtle. Being pre med I know doctors say from 4-6 months is average.

Me too..I had an ectopic pregnancy before I was pregnant with my oldest son...that was in December of '88...in February of '89 I was pregnant with him. My youngest was unexpected, but happened as soon as I got off the pill in '95...
smiles.gif