I can only buy 1 eyeshadow brush, which shall i get?

Sanne

I hated the 275, it doesn't do much for me!!!

I would say...the 239 brush for packing color on the lid and the 224 brush.

if you just want 1, you should get the 224, because that one blends colors while you apply, making make-up easier than ever! I have never seen/used a brush like that before!

odium

yeah, i'd say all around best eye brush (or most used for me) is the 224. it really helps with blending and even application. i have two and i use them allllll the time.

Juneplum

hmmmm.. i love the 242 cos i use it every day... i also have the 224 but i personally prefer the 242.. go to saramwrap's website makeupaddict.org and look at her brush review... it's VERY helpful..

AlliSwan

I use the 242 and 252 a lot but find the 239 might be best for starting out purposes.... however i could not live without BOTH of my 266s!

foreveratorifan

I have both the 224 and 217, and I honestly prefer the 217 for applying anything and blending. To me, the bristles on the 224 just are too soft to actually do anything for blending of my eyeshadows. I don't know how everyone else gets it to work so well, but I prefer the 217 for that.

And the 275 I actually use ALL the time! I use it to apply my all over color and my lid colors. I like the angled bristles to really help angle the color better on my lid.

Funny that I prefer all the brushed you guys don't really care for LOL

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveratorifan
And the 275 I actually use ALL the time! I use it to apply my all over color and my lid colors. I like the angled bristles to really help angle the color better on my lid.

Funny that I prefer all the brushed you guys don't really care for LOL

I thought I was the only one who liked the 275, hehe. I think it's a great brush!
smiles.gif

I think, though, if I were forced to give up all of my brushes but one (which would be tragic, but this is a thought experiment here) for eyeshadow application, I would probably go with the 239. It's great for packing on color, it's nice to blend with, and you can use it with a lighter hand for a wash or brow highlight. It's also small enough that you can get it into the inner corner of the eye and whatnot.

The only reason I say the 239 over the 242 (which I also love) is that I find the 242 sometimes "shreds" certain eyeshadows...like, when you swipe it over the shadow, it just kind of turns them into powder without actually picking them up; most recently I noticed this with the Madame B shadows, but that's just my personal experience. It is awesome for pigment packing, plus if you're in a pinch it's skinny enough to use to line with powder shadows and pigments!

So, I guess you just have to decide what kinds of products you use the most. I would say either the 239 or 242 for a first MAC brush, but each for different reasons.

Star

I obviously have too much free time
greengrin.gif

This thread prompted me to do a quick calculation of how much *all* the brushes in the EYE category would cost...

CAD $659. + 15% tax here ... $787.85

YIKES.

Currently, my fave eyeshadow brush is not from MAC, it's the large shader from Clinique.

From MAC, I have

202 Sponge tip
209 Eyeliner
213 Fluff
217 Blending
224 Tapered Blending
266 Small Angle
275 Medium Angled Shading
242 Shader

and the one I use most often out of these is #217, followed by #202.

TipTopTap

#219 pencil brush is the most versatile brush I have ever used. It is good for crease, inner V, outer V, thick liner, smudging liner, and lids.

Janice

I would imagine for someone just getting into applying makeup with professional brushes the 217 would be the most versatile and "user friendly". It's really a wonderful brush.
smiles.gif
HTH

RRRose

I first bought 239 because the MUA told me it was good to pack on the color and then blend with the tip. I used that for about two months, and it was perfect for me! After I got more money, I bought 217 for more blending.

iiifugaziii

i agree that the 239 brush is awesome! I use it all the time. excelllent for lid application! don't know what I would do without it.
greengrin.gif

maryam

i would get the #272. It has the same bristles as the 239 so it can be used to pack on colour on the lid, but it is also tapered and so can be used for the crease as well as blending. It's truly a very versatile brush.

Sushi_Flower

I emailed a Mac artist about it , here's the answer-

Brush #213 for all-over and eyelid application of eye shadows
Brush #224 for blending eye shadows in the crease and contouring

Sushi_Flower

I still need help deciding which to get, i counted up all the reccomendations here and this is what the score was -

242 – ****
275 - ***
252 - *
239- *****
224 - *** M
252 - *
217- ***
272 - *
213 - M

The M is what the MA i emailed suggested. The 239 is recommended just once more than the other popular ones. So in effect i'm still just as confused but with about 4 different ones to be confused about.
If you all had to give up your brushed and keep just one which would be be versatile then which would you keep? I want to get mine tomorrow.
Thankyou

litlaur

Ditto on the 239. I use this everytime I apply eye shadow. I can pack on color with this, or apply sheerly with a light hand. If this is the only brush I have (i.e. when I go on a trip) I wipe of the brush and use it to blend.