i got offered a job

jardinaires

pretty much, at the counter here. i've been shopping there for about 2 years now, and recently the retail manager has been talking to me about working there. my 18th birthday is coming up and as a gift she gave me a few postcards, she wrote me a card, and also gave me an application and basically explained that after i turn 18 i can bring the application back and she would love to possibly hire me.. but the thing is, i don't know anything about it! i have a portfolio with a ton of examples of what i can do, and i know a lot about the products and collections etc. but what exactly is the requirement for being an employee, do you have to buy all your own brushes you use, etc? if anyone could explain this to me i'd sooo appreciate it
smiles.gif

jardinaires

thanks so much, i'm still kinda trying to learn how to navigate my way around here so i'm not sure exactly where to find everything. haha.

glittergoddess27

I also wish you lots of luck,.. but here's the something to know,.. I just interviewed since my freestanding store did the same thing to me,.. convinced me after years (literally) harassing me to apply,.. and I haven't heard back from them,.. soo I while I encourage you to definitely apply,.. I also give you a realistic perspective,. when they do the interviews you might not be guaranteed to make it.

OMG- I am now officially a Newbie MAC Freelancer! And did find out that if you are going for full-time or even part-time the interviewing process is super rigorous as someone posted below. A 4-part interview. So yeah definitely a process that will be an undertaking.

little_angel

don't get discouraged if it takes FOR EVER. my hiring process was almost four months! most of my MAC friends had similar experiences.... the interviews, hiring, paperwork, etc.. took a really long time.

lipshock

Not to discourage you or anything but just because a manager has informed you that she would "love to hire you" and hands you an application, doesn't mean that you are in anyway guaranteed a job with MAC. So you haven't really been offered a job, sorry to be so blunt. You have to go through the recruiter, the regional trainer, and other higher level MAC employees dealing with the retail, as well as the artistry side of MAC, before you even get to the manager of a location for that final interview. It's a long process but it is long for a reason. MAC knows what they want and what they don't want. They take the interviewing process very seriously.

I wish you the best of the luck. Definitely read this forum because it is quite thorough and quite helpful in the information given regarding the process.

To answer your question: no you do not buy your own brushes. You are given a brush belt and then you are given brushes to use while you are on your shift within the store. Those brushes are MAC property and are not to be taken outside of the store without being signed out by a manager ... and for a legitimate reason, such as going to Update and/or Basic or other MAC events.

breeknee

"You have to go through the recruiter, the regional trainer, and other higher level MAC employees dealing with the retail, as well as the artistry side of MAC, before you even get to the manager of a location for that final interview."

I do not believe that is true for all locations. I am interviewing forthe first time on Sunday and I am interviewing with the manager and assistant manager,and was told that if that goes well i will do a demo with them immediately after on that same day.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeknee
"You have to go through the recruiter, the regional trainer, and other higher level MAC employees dealing with the retail, as well as the artistry side of MAC, before you even get to the manager of a location for that final interview."

I do not believe that is true for all locations. I am interviewing forthe first time on Sunday and I am interviewing with the manager and assistant manager,and was told that if that goes well i will do a demo with them immediately after on that same day.

It is true for MOST locations. I'm not sure about Nordstrom locations. Freelancing you don't go through that but to become a perm you do. I had to interview with the retail manager, do a demo and then they called me back and told me I had to meet with the regional manager as well. I had to do it all over again when I transferred locations and it was still within the same region! My region however is vary competitive - we do 2nd best internationally behind Orange County and my location is often in the top 5 within the company. (Sorry I had to toot our horn)

If you didn't have to go through this then it could be that your region isn't as competitive or they also might not have had time and needed someone asap.

FacesbyNiki

It depends on the location and region that you are in ex. the recruiter situation. But it's nice to know all this information, just in case they change things up in your area and you won't be out of the loop. It's always nice to be prepared for all types of situations.