i have a virus on my computer

Shimmer

I linked you to the AVG site in your thread about anti virus software.
smiles.gif

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I want to remind you that just because you will have anti-virus software, does not mean, that you won't get another virus. Anti virus software is very misleading.

noahlowryfan

well, this is my first time having a virus so its new to me. if you have a virus on your computer, will a message pop up telling you your computer is infected with a virus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
I want to remind you that just because you will have anti-virus software, does not mean, that you won't get another virus. Anti virus software is very misleading.

Beauty Mark

If the anti-virus software detects it. I think some viruses will make like a "Ha ha" message, but a lot of the ones I've seen don't. You'll learn you have a virus when stuff isn't functioning right

user79

Have you even tried to get rid of the virus? I dunno, reformatting is like the last thing I would do after trying out all the other options...

Trunkmonkey

So did you reformat the drive or are you just trying to get rid of the virus by using virus scan? Some viruses get so deeply embedded that you have to manually remove them. Again here is a link to the free avg site. It's the download on the lower right. What you might want to do is run a dxdiag on your computer after everything is done. You do this by going to the start button, select 'run', type in dxdiag, this bring up a window with several buttons on it, click the 'save all information' button, and it will create a wordpad document that you can save to your desktop. Read through it and see if anything is failing. It will also give you the make and model number of your machine which will help me find the instructions on how to go about cleaning it up. Good luck

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Have you even tried to get rid of the virus? I dunno, reformatting is like the last thing I would do after trying out all the other options...

well, i did get rid of the virus so i didn't have to resort to reformatting.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I've reformatted my laptop .. I think 3 times. It was made in 1999, hp pavillion laptop, It runs windows Xp like nobody's business! I've never had a virus on it, but I have had it clogged with adware. I was running Linux for a while. but got rid of it.

user79

I should reformat mine again. I've done it once before, it gets it working so much better again. It's just a huge pain in the ass because I have a lot of software.