I have my Demo very soon...

darkbeauty27

...and I'm kind of scared! I am going to use my mom as my model.

I have some questions. I have never used MAC Prep + Prime or MAC liquid foundation. Would the Prep + Prime be good to use on my mom's skin? She is mid-50's. Also, which foundation would look best on mature skin without making it look dry? I also have a question about how MAC does foundation matching. When I worked at Lauder awhile ago we would swipe 3 shades of foundation on a person's face in order to determine which shade matches best. Do MAC Artists match foundation the same way?

TIA!

baybehbekah

thats a great way to test the foundations and also reading up on what the number/letters mean will help as well.

prep and prime is fine for anyone in my opinion, as along as they are correctly moisturized. if you're mom is older, she may have a drier skin type, so try moisturelush to get her skin going, then prep and prime. i like to use moistureblend on mature skin because i find it to be light and dewy. also try mineralized liquid for more coverage, and you don't get that dry finish, it's a nice satin finish.

hope that helps and good luck
smiles.gif

erine1881

i agree with baybehbekah. i'd suggest either studio moisture cream or moisturelush, depending on how dry she is, then prep & prime, then mineralize satinfinish.

for my demo i went in a bit early and matched my model up to the right color foundation. that way i didn't waste any time during my demo trying to find the right shade.

darkbeauty27

Ooo, thanks for all of the help!

I have one more question - and it might sound a bit dumb but I want to do everything right.
smiles.gif
. When applying the Moisturelush, the Prep + Prime, and the Mineralize Satin Finish, do I use the triangle sponges to apply all of these or should I use a foundation brush? Or both?

Thanks again!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeauty27
Ooo, thanks for all of the help!

I have one more question - and it might sound a bit dumb but I want to do everything right.
smiles.gif
. When applying the Moisturelush, the Prep + Prime, and the Mineralize Satin Finish, do I use the triangle sponges to apply all of these or should I use a foundation brush? Or both?

Thanks again!

brush, brush, brush! always use a brush for everything. at my counter we only use sponges to color match studio fix or loose powders, to wok with cream products off off if we don't have spatulas, or to clean up shadow fall down with fast response. other than that sponges shouldn't be used at all.

baybehbekah

i love putting the moisturizer on with a brush, it's so much easier and i feel like i move faster!

good luck
smiles.gif

chocolategoddes

They way I see it is, when you're actually working for MAC and doing a demo you should always try to use a brush if you can because you're also trying to sell the brush. If you can demonstrate how the brush is important you have a better chance of the customer actually purchasing it.

darkbeauty27

My demo is tomorrow morning! Okay so I know you are supposed to touch your model/client's face as little as possible and being sanitary is very important. Is there some sort of palette available to put the foundation and moisturizer on so I don't have to put it on the back of my hand before applying? How do you guys who work for MAC usually do that? Thanks!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeauty27
My demo is tomorrow morning! Okay so I know you are supposed to touch your model/client's face as little as possible and being sanitary is very important. Is there some sort of palette available to put the foundation and moisturizer on so I don't have to put it on the back of my hand before applying? How do you guys who work for MAC usually do that? Thanks!

there are petri dishes that you sanitize with alcohol and pour foundation/moisturizer on.

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
there are petri dishes that you sanitize with alcohol and pour foundation/moisturizer on.

Oh good, thanks!
smiles.gif

darkbeauty27

Okay, I had my demo this morning.
smiles.gif
I was only at the MAC store for about an hour and a half which wasn't too bad. It was still pretty early in the day so there weren't a lot of customers there. I had 30 minutes to do a Day Look and 15 minutes to turn that look into a Night Look. The girl who watched over my Demo was SUPER nice and made me feel comfortable. She wasn't hovering over me while I was doing the Demo so that was good! I felt like the Day Look that I did was just okay. I think I was really nervous about getting done in time and I don't think the look ended up reflecting my skills as much as it could have if I'd had more time. I also used a shadestick as a base on my mom's lids and didn't realize her lids were so oily! So when it came time to apply her eyeliner (Powerpoint in Engraved), after I applied it some of it got on her crease area and I had to blend like crazy to make the black smudgies disappear! I think I did much better when I did the Night Look. The colors I used looked great with my mom's coloring. She is light olive toned.

I had full access to all of the makeup and skincare products but I wasn't able to use all of the brushes that I thought I was going to be able to. I had to kind of make-do with the ones that were available. For example, the 219 wasn't there and I was all set to be able to use it. I had to borrow the 187 from one of the artists there. I tried to be as sanitary as possible and clean up after myself. Like erine1881 said, a petri dish was available to use for foundation and moisturizer.

Overall, I think everything went pretty good. Hopefully I will find out something soon! Unfortunately since it is a holiday weekend I might not find out anything until next week though.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!