I'm almost embarrassed to ask for help!

MAC_Pixie04

Considering I work around about a thousand other brands, I should know the answer to my own question: however, I don't.
So, I recently started using Make Up For Ever's Velvet Mat foundation. I liked it a lot, however, I think I got a bad batch or perhaps one that's expired, because it has really gross chunks in it, and it's supposed to be a smooth liquid. And unfortunately, MUFE is no longer making this formula, they've replaced with Mat Velvet +, which is a heavy coverage makeup, and I prefer medium coverage. So I'm pretty much back at square one in my search for the perfect foundation. The NARS doesn't last long enough, because I've got oily skin, it pretty much runs away a few hours after I apply it. So if anyone can recommend something else either a liquid, compact powder, or creme to powder makeup that's 1) NOT from MAC, 2) Oil Free, 3) Medium/buildable coverage, and 4) $40 or less, I'd really appreciate it.

aziza

Hahaha...don't be embarassed.
rofl.gif
Have you ever tried Prescriptives? I fell in love with Virtual Matte until they discontinued my shade
weeping.gif
I have not been able to find anything that compares to it. It was $32.50,medium to full coverage, and I loved it! I'm really oily and combined with Blot it kept the shinies away for a long time.

I'm still searching for the perfect foundation too. Right now I'm experimenting with mineral makeup..I hope it works
smiles.gif

MAC_Pixie04

well darling you and i are about the same shade lol so if they discontinued yours, there probably won't be one for me.
i'm just so pissed, this MUFE liquid was awesome until it started to like curdle or whatever. and i HATE returning things, but if it's curdling and separating, it's probably hella old, and that means the SPF probably has broken down, and that was one of the features that attracted me.
I'm thinking of trying LORAC's Oil Free Wet/Dry Powder makeup, oil free foundation, and a few from Clinique. I also think that if the SPF broke down in my foundation, it turned into an oil, which is why i'm now broken out.
*sigh* its just so g'd frustrating.

Darling4

Hey there!

This is my first post, but very happy to be here. I just fell in LOVE with the Make-up Forever face and body foundation, which has lumps in it as well. Confused about it, I asked the MA who sold me it if that was normal. She said that was how they made it. Maybe the Velvet is the same way?! I just shake it up alot before use. I don't think that it should be bad unless there is a really funky smell. Anyway, try that! Thanks.

Darling4

Oh yeah,

If that doesn't work, you may just want to try the MUFE face and body. It's quite light, but I just layer on a extra coat onto the areas that need it and if works wonderfully, even in this time on no concealor for me (lost my fav Prescriptives). I was also on the quest for the best foundation. Tried, seriously, almost EVERYTHING (from high to low names) and the MUFE is the best thing ever! It's waterproof and sweatproof. Works really well for me as I work hard in a sweaty club!

Calhoune

I love Clinique foundations! Almost all of their foundations are moderate coverage and very moisturizing
smiles.gif

I have had a problem finding shades though, but lucky for me, my favourite foundation by them "Perfectly Real Makeup" has alot of shades! (Like 30 of them)
And it's made for combination/oily skin aswell. I can also recommend their Perfectly Real Makeup-compact, made for combination/oily/very oily skin.

HTH

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling4
Oh yeah,

If that doesn't work, you may just want to try the MUFE face and body. It's quite light, but I just layer on a extra coat onto the areas that need it and if works wonderfully, even in this time on no concealor for me (lost my fav Prescriptives). I was also on the quest for the best foundation. Tried, seriously, almost EVERYTHING (from high to low names) and the MUFE is the best thing ever! It's waterproof and sweatproof. Works really well for me as I work hard in a sweaty club!

yeah that one was recommended to me, i might try it, but i'm not a fan of those gross chunks being in my makeup, it makes me curious as to what's causing them.. if it's supposed to be a liquid, it needs to stay consistent. however, mine has intense chunks and i can see some separation occurring, and considering it's labeled oil-free, that shouldn't be happening. When our testers separate, it usually means they're expired/going bad.

Kiseki

If you have combination/oily skin, do not use MUF Face & Body, with time it will make your complexion oilier. Been there, done that and regreted it.

As for the chunks in the foundation, it's normal, it's gel based and you have to shake it vigorously before you use it, but it applies beatifuly, however, considering your skin type, I wouldn't go there, besides, it's incredibly sheer and not the finish you like, if you prefered Mat-Velvet, Face & Body has this dewy finish to it.

As for Mat-Velvet plus, if can pretty much thin it's consistency if you dilute it with their stop-shine primer, that will make it more medium coverage instead. It's all up to your patience levels to do it every morning.

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki

As for Mat-Velvet plus, if can pretty much thin it's consistency if you dilute it with their stop-shine primer, that will make it more medium coverage instead. It's all up to your patience levels to do it every morning.

I absolutely love the new matte velvet plus but don't want a full coverage either. I have been thinning it out with a bit of moisturiser and it works wonderfully
smiles.gif
It works really well if you thin it out with strobe cream or a liquid highlighting potion. I have also been using the Red earth secret potion to thin it out and again, love love love it. The face and body is nice, but the coverage is very sheer and I find the colours run a little orange. I have used both the old and new matte velvet and my neither one is seperating. My face and body does have the chunky texture, but I was told just to shake it really well. It doesn't seem to change how the product works.

juicyaddict

Have you tried Shiseido? I love their stick foundation and the dual balancing liquid one. I was told to shake the liquid one as well, so guess the chunks are normal. Tricky part about their foundations is picking the right shade, there aren't too many to choose from.

MAC_Pixie04

Shiseido's darker colors are very red, I never go to Shiseido for a woman of color unless she is infact orange...which is rare.

Thanks for all the input though. I went to a different Sephora than my own today (one i'm looking into transferring to) and picked up Clinique's Stay True liquid makeup in True Bronze. It's totally perfect. It mattified itself completely without any powder, and when I took my hoodie off, there was no brown residue around the collar. Also, the color is flawless and it gives me a really nice glow. So far I've been wearing it for an hour, and it's still matte. I know that doesn't say much; but my skin is VERY oily, so that NEVER happens with any makeup. And it was only $18.50 (16.70 with my discount, after tax!) so I'm pretty satisfied with it.
I also picked up the MUFE Duo Mat powder foundation to keep in my purse for touch ups and for traveling. I'll update this after I start using them a little more regularly, but I think this one might work. I was really impressed by it right off the bat, and that's rare for me.

And about the chunks in my foundation: i had the old formula. The Velvet Mat in the round container with the dipstick, apparently so did my colleague and we came the conclusion that since they didn't refurbish the stock with a new batch of product, ours was probably pretty old, since the Velvet Mat+ was being developed in the middle of last year, the original formula was being phased out. Since it's got an SPF in it, it most likely broke down a bit and that's what caused it to separate and get the sick chunks. When they opened mine when I returned it, it was unanimously agreed that the chunks that were in mine and Sherri's were NOT normal for MUFE foundations. And neither was the smell lol

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I also picked up the MUFE Duo Mat powder foundation to keep in my purse for touch ups and for traveling. I'll update this after I start using them a little more regularly, but I think this one might work. I was really impressed by it right off the bat, and that's rare for me.

Please do
smiles.gif
I am loving the matte velvet, but really wanted to try this too. I just didn't have enough $$ I was wondering if it would be a nice alternative to liquid foundation in the summer.

martygreene

As far as I know, the origional Matte Velvet has not been discontinued. the Matte Velvet Plus is not a replacement for it, more a sister product.

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
As far as I know, the origional Matte Velvet has not been discontinued. the Matte Velvet Plus is not a replacement for it, more a sister product.

That would be nice, but the girl at my counter told me it had been discontinued and so did the counter owner. I love the original except for the spf. It was easier to work with. I sure hope you are right. Does that mean they are reformulating it to better accomodate for us pale girls?

ebonyannette

How is the clinique working? I dont think their shades are dark enough for me they turn ashy on me. If you wanna try a drug store cheapie I am loving Revlon Colorstay lately

Bey28

Try Cliniques Superbalanced Compact makeup. I use 20 Spice (N) and I'm an NC45 in MAC studio tech. You can build up coverage with this and it has a natural finish. It feels amazingly light and has wonderful staying power. Just be sure to set it with blot powder. HTH.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene

No, it's been phased out for the new Velvet Mat+. And the original Powder Foundation has been replaced with the Duo Mat (i like this better than the original).

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
How is the clinique working? I dont think their shades are dark enough for me they turn ashy on me. If you wanna try a drug store cheapie I am loving Revlon Colorstay lately

It's working out great. It didn't feel heavy, I wore it to work today (12pm to 9pm) and I only had to "touch up" at my lunchtime (4:30). It stayed pretty matte all day and it didn't fade off. My blush even stayed on and it was a creamblush. You probably won't find a shade in the stay true, because my shade is the 2nd darkest. You'd probably find something in the Perfectly Real formula, there's like 30+ colors for that one. It's similar to the Stay True, it's a semi matte formula so it's good for oily skin types and it's a liquid in a tube.

I'll be wearing the Duo Mat tomorrow to school, i'll give a little report on that one.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
That would be nice, but the girl at my counter told me it had been discontinued and so did the counter owner. I love the original except for the spf. It was easier to work with. I sure hope you are right. Does that mean they are reformulating it to better accomodate for us pale girls?

I'll call NY HQ and ask- but I'm pretty sure they told me it wasn't going away.

MAC_Pixie04

that would be lovely, except that i probably wouldn't be able to purchase it around here. the only place that carries it near me is Sephora, and we've RTVed it.