Inspirated by Sanne: What do you know/think about Germany?

jamiemeng

I think that Germany is a beautiful country to travel to.Germany has beautiful sites that you can look at there. My uncle on my mom's side that is married to my aunt. His parents were German. he just went to Germany on Christmas of last year. I would like to go see Germany sometime.

mac_obsession

My family comes from there, well, most died there :\ My grandmother got out just before the holocaust, but she was the only one of many. Most of her family were buried in mass graves.

My mother went to visit my grandmothers house before it was taken by nazis, and was greeted by the mayor, who was very kind, and took her all over.

My father also worked for a German based company BASF, which the only word I can remember is Soda the rest are german. My daughter can count to 20 in german but I only know a few words. BASF also made the cyanide pelletes used in the Gas Chambers...(The company at the time didnt know what they were being used for.)

Dont mean to be so down - there are many wonderful things about Germany...

I also know Oktoberfest originated there...and most Americans drink themselves silly when it rolls around...

shopgirl151

I think it's a misunderstood country, to tell you the truth.

People in my area seem to think that:

A) it has completely turned into a revisionist country advocating the idea that the Holocaust is a complete fabrication on the allied countries's part.

B) Even with this supposed revisionist thinking, the Holocaust is not taught in schools in Germany, and thus the younger generations are completely uneducated when it comes to this horrific event.

C) Everyone is Germany is a Nazi.

I never really bought any of this. It was always hard to be an open-minded person during my K-12 years, because the Holocaust was always taught as a really bad event started by the evil Germans. I always felt like there was more to the story, rather than Adolf Hitler just woke up one day in the 30s and decided he didn't like Jews.

So, after taking some courses in college geared solely toward Germany, I feel like I understand it a lot better. The professor who taught the course is well-respected in historical circles, and spent a lot of time over there both with the military and on his own time. So thanks to him, I feel like I have a more well-rounded view of Germany. It's a country that has certainly endured hardship, but has managed to put one foot in front of the other and keep going.

And the people there today are not evil or Nazis or anything like that. At least, not on a large scale basis. They're nice people, some perhaps a bit distrusting of Americans, but overall, it's a great country that has a lot going for it - travelling there is great, and the country, as mentioned, has contributed such awesome things as Oktoberfest.

I don't mean to downplay the Holocaust at all, so I hope I haven't offended anyone. It was a horrific event. I've seen photographs, and watched documentaries, so yes, it was horrible and disgusting and tragic and should, IMO, always be taught and not tiptoed around.

I think my issues lie with the public education system in the States, again in this area specifically, for presenting such a one-sided story. I know that traditionally, those who win wars are the ones who get to write the history, but sometimes, that history becomes too one-sided and the issues that were brewing in Germany before the war actually began need to be addressed as well, because I think then people will really have a well-rounded view. Students here should have been taught not just that the war happened, but WHY it happened.

I'm really sorry, here I am a newbie and just totally jumped on my soapbox and started ranting.
smiles.gif
I apologize again and want to reiterate it's not my intention to offend anyone, so please don't take this to heart.

In case anyone hadn't already guessed, I was a history major. I've reduced that to a minor now, but with a focus area in World War II, especially in Europe, but now I'm thinking of finishing my English degree, and while I'm waiting to start grad school, finish a major in history as well.
smiles.gif

user2

@ shopgirl151: No thats totally OK to tell that! Indeed many people from foreign countries think that Germany is such a Nazi country but it's not! OK I have to admit that we have some regions where people live who think about Hitler as their great master! But we cant do nothing against them! On May1st we'll have some really bad battles again! Like every year! I cant see why!
For my person I can say that I'm definitely no Nazi! My best friends are Filipinas, Polish girls and many more....
Its so sad that even 60 years after the end of World War II people think so badly about Germany! Although the US did some pretty bad things too (Hiroshima)...but I dont want to discuss about that!

Sanne

germans and belgian people are the people that are made fun of by dutch
greengrin.gif

when we see a big hole on the beach, we say a there sat a german
greengrin.gif
why do people do that anyway??
And the person who invented Schnappi is an ass!

user2

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie
And the person who invented Schnappi is an ass!

I agree to that! We should reinvent the guillotine for her! (I think it was her aunt who did that....)

shopgirl151

After I saw your location, I was worried I might have said something offensive, VuittonVictim! I'm glad you were able to get the gist of what I was saying.

It just saddens me that people have held onto such misconceptions because I think it's a great country with a lot to offer. Not to mention, as you alluded, that other countries, including the U.S. have also partaken in horrific events as well.

Every German person I've met has been incredibly kind and has had no ties to the Nazi party at all, so I hate it when people think everyone in Germany is a Nazi! It's just not true!

I admit I was surprised to learn that there is still a Nazi party and plenty of supporters in Germany, but my professor explained to me that it was basically no different from the Communist Party continuing to exist in Russia, and that in Germany's case specifically, though the Nazis are still around, they don't have a serious stronghold throughout the country, but are more localized in specific regions.

I really think the public education curriculum should be modified to explain just how desperate the Germans were back in the 30s, and how they just got swept away in Hitler's promises. I know he was a bad man, but if you read transcripts of his speeches and such, it's quite obvious he was a charismatic man who had the capability to capture the attention of the crowd in a very short amount of time, and was very persuasive in his arguments as well.

user2

BTW Hitler was from Austria so it wasnt our fault....
smiles.gif
I never get to see why he did all of those horrible deeds! In case he was a vegetarian so why was he able to kill so many people but couldnt eat a steak? Very very strange....

mspixieears

Germans that travel are excellent travellers! They are friendly, willing to try anything new, and extremely open-minded, liberal people.

It has a fantastic electronic music scene! They have heaps of anti-Nazi legislation in place, it is a very efficient country, in that public services etc. supposedly run on time and they have very high standards!

It's a great country to study anything classical music-related. The inventor of the modern flute was German, Theobald Boehm (I'm a flute-player, so this is special to me!).

Bertold Brecht comes from Germany, and wrote many kick-arse theatrical plays that influenced the way audiences thought about the theatre (his 'V-effekt' theory).

A lot of Germans I've met seem to have excellent English, as does the lovely lady who started this post for instance.

Again, as with Sanne's post, I tried to think of things that were not so obvious.
lol.gif

Oh, and I so want to go to Germany. It sounds like it has EVERYTHING.

They have some wild sports too, I've heard. Like that thing they do in the film Drop Zone, where you can practise skydiving on a machine that makes wind strong enough to let you do loops in this air-filled jumping castle set-up!

shopgirl151

This is what I always think about when it comes to Germany. When I was studying the language, my professor told us about teaching over there, and how she left her sweater in a high school auditorium. It was a designer sweater, and she was upset with herself because she knew that when she went in the next day, it would be gone.

Wrong!

She walked in, and someone had folded it neatly and left it right on top of the podium so it was the first thing she saw when she walked in. She told us that she was stunned, because based on experiences here in the States, the sweater would have been snatched up by the first person who saw it, and saw the label!

I know nice things like that can and do happen here in the States as well, but usually, at least at my school, it's a case of finders keepers...

I think people just assume Hitler is from Germany, since he was ruling the country for many years. Again, if I could just have a hand in restructuring the education systems...
smiles.gif

I wrote an in-depth paper on Brecht, mspixieears! He had such interesting things to say, and is such an interesting playwright... I wish he was more widely taught as well!

user2

THX mspixieears to show the other ones the gorgeous sites about Germany! And I can tell how I am according to your thought about the Germans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
Germans that travel are excellent travellers! They are friendly, willing to try anything new, and extremely open-minded, liberal people.

Actually I never left Europe so I'm not that of an excellent traveller! But thats true! I'm very willing to try anything new e.g. a lot of different meals my friend from the Philippines did for me or Sushi (but I dont like it...) I'm always fascinated by other cultures....

Quote:
It has a fantastic electronic music scene! They have heaps of anti-Nazi legislation in place, it is a very efficient country, in that public services etc. supposedly run on time and they have very high standards!

Phew I hate electronic music but that might be just because of many horrible cover versions of good old songs....
Well I dont know anything about the very efiicient country-thing
greengrin.gif

Quote:
A lot of Germans I've met seem to have excellent English, as does the lovely lady who started this post for instance.

Thank you soo much I try hard to write in an understandable way....
smiles.gif

Quote:
Oh, and I so want to go to Germany. It sounds like it has EVERYTHING.

OK and if your ever decide to visit Germany I'd love to be your tour guide for Berlin!

Quote:
They have some wild sports too, I've heard. Like that thing they do in the film Drop Zone, where you can practise skydiving on a machine that makes wind strong enough to let you do loops in this air-filled jumping castle set-up!

Yeees I heard about that too! I want to do that soo badly! But I'm not sure that they can produce enough wind to make me fly....
greengrin.gif

user2

@ shopgirl151: Thats true! Personally I'm a very honest person as well but you can never be sure about your MAC makeup....
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl151
I wrote an in-depth paper on Brecht, mspixieears! He had such interesting things to say, and is such an interesting playwright... I wish he was more widely taught as well!

I'm so glad I got to read his plays at uni in lit and drama studies. He's really cool, isn't he?

Hi VuittonVictim, electronic music is a small term to cover all sorts of music! The electronic music I most enjoy is slow, melodic, almost hypnotising, and many of your fellow countrymen do it well. One example I can think of is Jan Jelinek. I'm not talking cheesy techno, waving the glow sticks *grin* - it's music for the mind to dance, rather than the body!

On the other hand, Germany has an excellent sense of humour when it comes to Eurotrash dance music! It's so bad you can't help but love it!

I'll definitely get you to be my tour guide if I ever visit Germany. I've got some Filipino blood too *grin again*!!!

user2

I read Brecht as well (OK thats because I'm a German.....*g*)! I looved Life of Galileo but I also like The Caucasian Chalk Circle....

My favourite thing about Germany is the food! I adore the sour meat (Sauerbraten) my mom makes....and the Knoedel

shopgirl151

Brecht was such an interesting guy. Perhaps not always the most likable guy on the block, but very intelligent!
smiles.gif

My classmates and I pumped our military professor into providing a lengthy list of the best places to eat and drink in Germany. I stll have it around here somewhere... Admittedly, my college is a party school so generally we are known as a bunch of drunks, but we did ask more than just where to go to get good beer.
smiles.gif
My prof told us that he prefers to eat in the smaller, more hole in the wall type places for more authentic food, rather than the large, grandioise restaurants that serve what people *think* German food should taste like.

I had an opportunity to go over there later this year, but I don't really like travelling at Christmastime, so I passed. Now I'm sorry I did!

user2

yes those "hole in the wall".restaurants are awesome if you want to taste the real German food! But I'm so not in love with it since I discovered the asian cuisine...and its soooo fat....

martygreene

I grew up in a german speaking household, so...

I'm nowhere near fluent anymore, but I still comprehend when I hear people speaking, I just am no longer able to translate.

OsaAmorosa

im studing german.its interesting but a bit difficult, and i think im failing,so at this moment i dont want to know anything about german!! :p