Knowledge is power!

Hilly

So I just learned that Prawns are large and extra large shrimp.

Learn anything new lately?

xbrookecorex

My Grammie TRIED to teach me something new on Christmas Eve....
As I'm taking pictures with my digital camera she says to me 'Did you know that some people even have cameras on their PHONES now?!' HHAHAHA no way Grammie, ya don't say! lol

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrookecorex
My Grammie TRIED to teach me something new on Christmas Eve....
As I'm taking pictures with my digital camera she says to me 'Did you know that some people even have cameras on their PHONES now?!' HHAHAHA no way Grammie, ya don't say! lol

Haha. My brother was trying to teach our mom how to use a USB Flashdrive yesterday when we were having our Christmas gathering. Santa should bring him something special for even attempting such a feat.

nibjet

I learned that if your window doesn't roll up, you shouldn't try to pull it up, because it can shatter! My beetle looks lovely right now with plastic sheeting and duct tape over the drivers side window. :X

Firebabe

I always wondered about that!! I love them!!
Thank u very much for telling us
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly

nunu

i learnt that a huge hard drive (size of a jeans pocket) does the exact same thing as USB flash memory sticks!!

DaisyPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly

I don't think that's right - prawn and shrimp are the same thing, regardless of size. In Australia we don't use the word shrimp, we call them prawns. It just depends on the country you're in
smiles.gif

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyPie
I don't think that's right - prawn and shrimp are the same thing, regardless of size. In Australia we don't use the word shrimp, we call them prawns. It just depends on the country you're in
smiles.gif

I agree. Shrimp only exist in the United States, I think. Everywhere else that I've ever been, they are called prawns.

Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer
I agree. Shrimp only exist in the United States, I think. Everywhere else that I've ever been, they are called prawns.

in canada, we call the little ones shrimp, and the bigger ones prawns. or at least in all the provinces ive lived in/been to

redambition

there was a documentary about tornadoes on today - and I did a bit more reading about them.

I learnt a lot about them and how they form... and I learnt that south east Australia has all the right conditions for tornadoes to form if the right type of summer storm brews.

I had absolutely no idea about that.

V15U4L_3RR0R

In Scotland large shrimp are known as languistines.

Also you spend just as much energy running a distance as walking the same distance.

Hilly

The difference of prawns vs shrimp really depends on where you live in the world. Prawn = shrimp that is true, But prawn describes a larger shrimp here in the US.

purrtykitty

I'm learnin' all sorts of stuff reading this thread!!

Edit: Lesson from last night...if you want to serve dinner at a certain time, tell everyone that dinner will be served 30 minutes before you actually are serving it. That way dishes won't be cold because everyone is waiting for that last person bringing up the rear!!

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
in canada, we call the little ones shrimp, and the bigger ones prawns. or at least in all the provinces ive lived in/been to

Yeah, even us call it shrimps, but that's mostly because of an inside joke. My grand mother likes to name things with the english title of it, so instead of calling it ''crevettes'' she is saying Shrimps all the time. (My grand father was american, I had to say, so she spoke english a lot when she was younger).

FullWroth

I learned that it isn't "for all intensive purposes," it's "for all intents and purposes."

Sometimes, having English as your second language, even if you've mostly grown UP learning English, leads to funny discoveries like these later in life.

V15U4L_3RR0R

The human skull is jointed.

ETA - You don't actually need to drink 8 glasses of water a day because the body is very efficient at extracting water from food and other drinks. It's a common myth along with hair and nails growing faster when you cut them. That's a myth too folks!

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
I'm learnin' all sorts of stuff reading this thread!!

Edit: Lesson from last night...if you want to serve dinner at a certain time, tell everyone that dinner will be served 30 minutes before you actually are serving it. That way dishes won't be cold because everyone is waiting for that last person bringing up the rear!!

That is my biggest pet peeve when I'm cooking! I now call that it's ready in X minutes and when it's ready I sit down and eat whether the hubby has joined me or not. I worked hard to make something yummy and I'm eating it while it's hot damnit!

I learned today that Petsmart has postage-paid envelopes for donating cell phones & printer cartidges. The funds are used for their pet charity program. More info: PetSmart Charities