mac basic essentials.

babecakes

i am a makeup noobie and i want to get a mac collection. so i was wondering where to start off? what eyeshadow colors to get? what lipglass to get? so basically mac basic essentials.
btw, i have dark brown eyes, black hair and yellow undertones.

LatinaRose

Fluidline in Blacktrack
Viva Glam V lipglass
Loose Blot powder
Some neutral shadows - Mulch, Nylon, Arena, Carbon, Amber Lights, Shroom

It's late so I can't really think of any more right now.

Honey B. Fly

these were all my 1st purchases n my basic everyday essentials
greengrin.gif
i have yellow undertones and tan skin

goldmine, ricepaper, mulch, n espresso eyeshadows

blacktrack fluidline

blunt blush

oh baby lipglass

bronze shimmer lipstick

cream o spice lipliner

MsButterfli

i started with a Era then crept on over into woodwinked, leisure time, sable, beauty marked, Trax, seedy pearl, corduroy(which is cool for filling in brows), swiss chocolate, folie.. blacktrack fluidline, i have mineral skinfinish in dark and i found some patternmaker brush sets at the CCO so ive been able to play with a smaller brush before i go and buy the big version...and the holiest brush the 187..lol makes your foundation so flawless looking

saniyairshad

e/s: browns and greens {woodwinked, sumptuous olive, mulch, shroom, nylon}
l/g: nymphette, oyster girl, underage, russian red, beaux, sinnamon, instant gold
basic essentials: Blacktrack f/l, studio fix fluid, MSF Natural, Studio Fix Concealer, Beige-ing shadestick, MAC Peaches (blush), MAC Zoom Lash (mascara), MAC Graphicblack eye pencil
Brushes: shader, blending brush, contouring brush, blush brush, 182, e/l brush for fludilines.

Triskele

If you buy nothing else, get the 187 brush. It's the holy grail of brushdom. Seriously.

What I'd recommend:
E/s: Woodwinked, Amber lights, espresso, mulch, ricepaper, and romp.
E/l: If you're a real, true newbie, don't go for the fluidline, but do get the technakohl liner in graphblack and/or brownborder, depending on which you prefer.
Foundation/concealer: If you really feel you need it, get some. Get as LITTLE coverage as you think you can get away with. At the very least, get color matched by an artist so if you want to get some later, you can.
Lipgloss: Go for a neutral color, with a touch of pink if you feel like it. Lust is a great color, but may not be the one for you.
Blush: Powder blush is a great place to start- blushbaby, tenderling or sincere (depending on your skintone) would be the way to go.
Brushes: 187, as said. It does just about everything. I'd also recommend 239 OR 213, and 217 for your eyes.

Random advice: When just starting out, start simple. Don't be afraid to have one of the artists do your makeup for you (but make sure you tell them both what kind of look you're going for and, if it's a daily type, how much time you usually set aside in the AM to do your makeup. This will help them a TON.) Above all, makeup is FUN, so make sure that you have fun doing it!

bellaetoile

- a good black eyeliner. i wouldn't necessarily recommend blacktrack, as not everyone likes gel/liquid liners, plus, it pretty much requires the additional purchase of a brush. i'd say get a black shade of whichever eyelining medium you like -- pencil, crayon, gel, liquid, etc. mac certainly has a lot of choices.

- a few staple shadow colors. a good brown/neutral, a shimmery highlight (think phloof, shroom, etc.), a gray isn't a bad idea for smoky looks (you don't necessarily need black, as you can use a smudged eyeliner pencil for black in a pinch), and maybe a few colors that complement your eyes, or colors you weara lot of. for example, i think a medium smoky blue is nice, a medium shimmery purple, and a mid-tone green. orange, yellow, and red tend to be a bit harder to work with. bronze and golds can look nice, too.

-a good mascara (preferably not mac), or false lashes.

- foundation, concealer, powder. whatever you feel comfortable with. it depends on the coverage. an MA could probably help you out once you figure out what you will want on a daily basis, and what you will want for more special occasions. tinted moisturizer can be a nice way to go if you want light coverage, studio fix fluid and studio fix powder are good for more heavy duty times.

- a bronzer or blush. powder or cream, again, play around with textures, see what you like. i recommend a good bronzer with a tiny bit of shimmery, only slightly darker than your skintone.

- lips. stick, gloss, lacquer. there are so many choices. start with a good, neutral lip liner, which you can fill your lips in with, and slap a clear gloss over. a good neutral, a good pink, and a good tan is a place to start. see if you can find someone on specktra or LJ selling a lip pallette or one of the holiday lip sets. they let you test numerous colors for a fraction of the price.

also consider a good primer. for foundation, prep and prime face is good, and for eyes, urban decay primer potion is the BEST. your eye makeup won't move, and you may even have trouble getting it off at night. to enhance color, shadesticks are the way to go. also, brows can make or break a face. keep your browns nicely shaped, and even get one of the many brow products mac makes.

pigment samples are the way to go, as are holiday sets, if you can find them for close to retail. get small quantities of numerous products until you figureout what you like, and what works best for you.

saj20052006

Basics needed:

Eyeshadow: Era, Mulch, Satin Taupe, Brun or Brown Down
Eyeliner: Dipdown / Blacktrack Fluidline
Lips: Oh Baby, Garden, Sinnamon, Viva Glam IV/V or Honeyflower
Brushes: Brush 275, 242, 266, 316, 224, 150 or 187
Face: Studio Fix Powder and a Great MSF

Latest posts