MAC FAQ: PPID/MAC PRO Card

RicanPrincipessa

pinkfeet said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicanPrincipessa
Wow! I was just about to ask that!

I start working for Estee Lauder @ Macys soon and I was also wondering how that may effect my chances of applying for a Pro Card?

I would ask MAC but it takes forever and a week for them to get back in touch with me. I do get a store discount but the Pro Card would be sooo much better. Since I want to use it at the Pro Stores!!!

Would I be able to get it since it is within the same company or would I be out of luck?

QUOTE]

You still have to provide the same info even if you do work for EL. So unless you are a makeup artist for the EL team, you are just a beauty consultant or adviser soooo...

I donk think I ever heard of any EL exec writing a letter saying a SA was a mUA on letter head - though they might.

You still need 2 proofs of being a mua to get card so just working for EL wont guarantee anything.

And yeah the discount for working at macys is not that great, 20% where as ppid is 40% for mua's.

I figured all that.
What i'm asking is...
"Would I be able to get it since it is within the same company or would I be out of luck?"

EL has issues with there beauty advisors partnering with there other owned companies. Kinda like how if I work for EL I cannot freelance for MAC. Because it's a conflict of interest. I was wondering if anyone worked for a company owned by EL but had or had not issues getting a PPID card.

Originsgirl

I'm wondering the same thing. I work for origins and sent in my stuff for a pro card- haven't heard anything back yet. Do they tell you if you are turned down?

Life In Return

Interesting last few posts. I just got a position as a Counter Manager at Estee Lauder and was wondering if I'd be eligible for the PPID :\

Originsgirl

ok- after 6 six weeks and 3 faxes- I'm finally getting my card. I had to also have my boss write me a letter to say I was a makeup artist. My mailed in app was lost and my first 2 faxes were never recieved. I guess my boss has a magic fax machine.

farra712

For anyone that is working for another makeup line and is having issues getting a card: My advice is to not use the name of the line in your application for your card. I was working for clinique when I got mine (but was planning on leaving to do strictly freelance), but I didn't think that MAC would want to see that I was working at Clinique and wanted a discount on MAC products...I may be wrong, but just to be on the safe side, I had a friend whose makeup I had done write me a letter of reference, I sent in a resume listing what types of makeup (Bridal, theatre, etc.) I had done, and just for a little backup I sent in a business card stating that I am a makeup artist. I think mentioning the line you work for may cause a problem since the discount is supposed to be for artists who have to purchase their own makeup supplies, and if you work at a counter they may assume that you A.) Will be doing makeup only at the counter you work at so supplies will be made available to you and you would not be using MAC there
-or-
B) If you are working for a line, you probably will be using that line if you are doing work outside of the counter.

Just my thoughts on this....I could be completely stupid, but mine went through pretty fast, and I thought this might help as some who are using their counter work as a basis for applying are having some trouble!

calliestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Mine took about a month and it wasn't a matter of checking eligibility - I'd just completed a M·A·C professional makeup artistry course and all students received a card automatically.

Could you give me more information on the course you took? It definately sounds like something I'd be interested in...

midgetfury74

Its good to know that you can still order Pro product over the phone even if you do not have a PPID card, though im sure that certainly helps! How long do phoned in calls take to process?!

mae13

Ok, so my login code for the Pro site is no longer functional for some reason - apparently my sign-in info is wrong, but as far as I can tell it's the same it's always been. My card is not expired yet.

I e-mailed the help address a few days back, but no response yet. How long does it usually take?

brandiisamonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae13
Ok, so my login code for the Pro site is no longer functional for some reason - apparently my sign-in info is wrong, but as far as I can tell it's the same it's always been. My card is not expired yet.

I e-mailed the help address a few days back, but no response yet. How long does it usually take?

If I were you id try calling... youd probably get things accomplished alot faster that way
smiles.gif

Discount?

Hello everyone
wavey.gif
...i am a model soo i read on the macpro site that i am able to get a 30% discount....now it says i can send in headshots & resume....the only thing is my headshots dont have my name on them..Do you think that would be a problem? i dont know what else to send....any ideas????:confused: :confused: :confused: i really need that discount i spend soooo much its not even funny! lol

user6

card

just send them a composite card...it has your name, contact numbers, and a bunch of pictures of yourself!!!

katie_070405

You have to send in a copy of your drivers liscense...so i'm sure they'll see the picture of you on there. But you have to send in 2 forms of identification i.e. not just your composite card. Your resume and composite card should be fine though. You can download the application on the pro website.

purseaddict

I am planning on sending my aplication in for the MAC Pro. If I send in my business card (its pretty plain, it just says my name,makeupartist, and contact info) and a photocopy of my makeup artistry certificate, do you think that will be good enough? Any replies would be great...i dont have anything else besides a business card because im just starting out.....thanks
smiles.gif

user6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purseaddict
I am planning on sending my aplication in for the MAC Pro. If I send in my business card (its pretty plain, it just says my name,makeupartist, and contact info) and a photocopy of my makeup artistry certificate, do you think that will be good enough? Any replies would be great...i dont have anything else besides a business card because im just starting out.....thanks
smiles.gif

Maybe, I'm sure having a plain business card won't be held against anyone, lol, but you only need 2 pieces of professional id aside from your own id(ie:driver's license), so 3 items in all, the card and certificate plus your own personal identification should be well enough, but if you'd like to make sure you should call their number at 800-387-6707 ext.2427, they're very polite and knowledgeable! hope this helps!

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by purseaddict
smiles.gif

Before I worked retail for them, and b/c I worked in tv and not print and didn't have tearsheets I had to give them 2 letters from producers I worked for. I recall they were kind of strict about it.
I think there is a number on the PPID application for you to call or email questions. They might have some suggestions.

katie_070405

I sent in a business card...(pretty plain that I printed off my comp) and a copy of a photo whose makeup I had done.....(the bottom had the photographer's copyright, and then my name because I work for Dan Read Cosmetics) . I think it took like....3 or 4 weeks to get my card, but I got it. Oh...and my drivers liscense and application.

I was always hesitant to send it in before, because I thought I would be turned down. I finally just said screw it...if I don't get it it's no big deal....and if I do I'll save 40%. I should have sent that stuff in years ago. I would have saved sooo much money.

sugaxbayb

Mac Pro Student Card

Tonight I mailed away my application for the MAC Pro Student Card. My question is how long shall I have to wait until I receive my card. My mother let me use her credit card to pay the $10 fee & I sent my identification & proof of enrollment. Im curious how long I will be waiting until I see something. Can anybody help me?

midgetfury74

sugaxbayb- did you check first to makesure that you are enrolled in one of the beauty schools approed by MAC? if you did great! i would have suggested faxing it in,but most people find that it usually takes a few weeks to get it through the mail.

sugaxbayb

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetfury74
sugaxbayb- did you check first to makesure that you are enrolled in one of the beauty schools approed by MAC? if you did great! i would have suggested faxing it in,but most people find that it usually takes a few weeks to get it through the mail.

I did make sure my school was enrolled which made me very happy because I love MAC & Probably own about $300 dollars worth. My collection is small but it will grow once I get this card as im planning to get the Student Kits as well. Im figuring about 4 to 6 weeks for it to come in the mail. I didnt know you could fax it in, ill have to remember that for the actual pro card when im finished school.