MAC has dissapointed me :(

BEA2LS

i think it's the right time/right place thing because i hear this so many time. i know a girl who got hired at mac - no retail experience, no make-up experience, nothing and i know another girl with years of experience and didn't get hired at the same store. it must have been a timing thing (both girls are really sweet and i'm not hating on the girl who got the job! it just didn't make sense!)

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosasola1
thank you guys so much, It's nice to know that this isn't happening to just me. It helps get those "woe is me" thoughts out of my head.

I will pursue Chanel. Nordstroms is soo nice.

I would definitely pursue Chanel at Nordstrom. I work for Nordstrom (at MAC) and it has been such an awesome experience so far. It has been the best department store I have worked for. Is there not a MAC counter at your Nordstrom?

NaturalSister19

That's MAC for you. Sad, but true that I witnessed ALL of this kind of behavior during my stint @ MAC.

I can't say that it's the company in particular, or if MAC may just be a microcosm of the world. Women can be especially shady and mean to one another, and those kind of people do end up in management positions.

@ MAC, there is a focus on sales above EVERYTHING else, and as long as the manager makes sales goals, they're likely going no-where.

ductapemyheartt

Rosasola1, when you were hired, did the manager tell you would be getting a lot of hours?

I think with freelancing, it is safer to have at least another part time job so that, when situations like this happen, you have something else to fall back on. Freelance hours can be very spontaneous sometimes...

It kind of sucks that the hours were cut, but I think MAC is an amazing company to work for and they are doing what they need to keep it afloat. I think MAC genuinely cares for their employees and would not deliberately do anything to hurt them.

rosasola1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt
Rosasola1, when you were hired, did the manager tell you would be getting a lot of hours?

I think with freelancing, it is safer to have at least another part time job so that, when situations like this happen, you have something else to fall back on. Freelance hours can be very spontaneous sometimes...

It kind of sucks that the hours were cut, but I think MAC is an amazing company to work for and they are doing what they need to keep it afloat. I think MAC genuinely cares for their employees and would not deliberately do anything to hurt them.

well lets just say that i went from having almost 12 days scheduled to work in Dec to 2.... 2!!!
th_confused_new.gif

it's not the managers fault, she says they all love me there at their counter but she can't do anything. The bosses above her make the rules and she must follow.

There is a MAC in my nordstroms but they don't have any open positions... I dunno... one MAC in another nordstroms further away wants me but the manager can do nothing to get me hired... it is all up to the HR dept in Nordstroms and that dumb little survey they make you fill out in the online app. so I am a little worried.... all I can do is pray my heart out cuz I need a miracle!

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosasola1
well lets just say that i went from having almost 12 days scheduled to work in Dec to 2.... 2!!!
th_confused_new.gif

it's not the managers fault, she says they all love me there at their counter but she can't do anything. The bosses above her make the rules and she must follow.

There is a MAC in my nordstroms but they don't have any open positions... I dunno... one MAC in another nordstroms further away wants me but the manager can do nothing to get me hired... it is all up to the HR dept in Nordstroms and that dumb little survey they make you fill out in the online app. so I am a little worried.... all I can do is pray my heart out cuz I need a miracle!

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I am now only working about four days in December.

Good luck!

glitterkitten

Hmmm...where to start...

First, I understand your frustration. I am not sure what market you live in, but you have to understand a few things...

1. The economy is not in good shape right now (i'm sure you know this) and Freelance postitions are utilized at a minimum. Slower business during holiday does not warrant extra people on the floor.

2. Most Managers have Freelancers that they love working with. MAny are ex employees (in good standing, of course), or seasoned freelancers that they have worked with over and over.

3. Freelance is just that, Freelance. It is sporadic during the best of times...only utilized during events and while there is a staffing crisis, so it is not a seady gig.

I am sure that you are a talented artist and it is awesome that you are so passionate. I hope someone gives you a chance to show it soon! The best thing to do is stop by your local stores/conunters (if they don't know you already) with hair, makeup and clothing BEAT (you'd be surprised at the amount of people who come by looking a HOT mess...) and just let them know that you are avialable if needed. The worst thing is a stalker/whining FL artist (NOT that I am insinuating that you are one) that bugs the managers every day. They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but a stalking freelancer never gets the job.

In a nutshell, hang in there! If it is meant to be it will happen!

oh, and PS...you can't work for Chanel and freelance for another company. It is a conflit of interest.

Chin up sister...it'll happen!

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry girl ..that was hilarious to me ;-)

MisStarrlight

Sounds like you have never been burned by the company...don't worry, if you work for them long enough you will be-unless you kiss some major bum.