MAC Master Class - 5-day Intro to Makeup - What do I bring?

LadyLaundale

Hey all! So, I registered for this MAC Master Class in NYC starting on November 13th. It was $950 with $200 back in product. The class title is the 5-day Intro to Makeup Class. Here is the description:
A vibrant career in makeup begins with the fundamentals. In this comprehensive course you will learn the essential elements required to become a professional makeup artist. The curriculum features a history of makeup art, colour theory, basic facial anatomy, professional techniques, and important tips to building a career as a makeup artist.​
I was wondering if anyone has or is:

(a) Taking this class

(b) Taken it in the past

(c) Taken anything similar

I was also wondering what I should bring with me. I, like most of us, have tons and tons of MAC, some of it is Pro products. I don't know if I should bring any of my makeup, other than what I would bring for personal use. I know I will bring all of my brushes.

So, any comments, suggestions, even more questions are totally welcomed and appreciated. Thanks so much!

FacesbyNiki

I would say just bring your brushes because I'm sure they will supply all the rest. Or call and ask them.
lol.gif

MAC_Whore

FacesbyNikki has good advice. Definitely call AND make sure the person you speak to has knowledge of the class. I have rec'd some bad info before.

I have attended a handful of classes and events there. They have a studio/classroom in the back stocked with testers, so I am guessing you won't need makeup. I have always brought my own brushes (my freelance set) and used their makeup. Word of advice: Keep an eye on your brushes. It is very easy to loose them in the clutter of a class. Not to mention that there are some less than honest people out there who will knick a brush in a heartbeat.

If you haven't been there before, it is kind of hard to find. It is upstairs and the door in from the street does not have any MAC signs. I forget the name of the company that is on the door. Ask them when you call.

They do a really nice job at NYC PRO. You will have a great time. Bruce and Althea are great. Have fun. Give us a full report when you get back!
smiles.gif

P.S. They make an OK slice of Pizza across the street if you take a lunch break.
smiles.gif

.VivaDiva.

This sounds like the class they started in London a couple of years back. I was prepared to fly home to London in feb to do this. The london classes cost 950 British pounds where as the one in NY is $950 ! I might aswell take the class in NYC (this is where I live now) instead of flying back home and spending twice as much because of the currency conversion. OMG IM STOKED!!!! LadyLaundale you don't know how much i could KISS you right now!

~VD

.VivaDiva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLaundale
I was wondering if anyone has or is:

(a) Taking this class

(b) Taken it in the past

Yes caffn8me took the course in london when it first started. She gave a detailed review of the course in the shameless promotions forum http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=29161 hope this helps.

Btw do you know of a site where the course is advertised? I couldn't find it on the site. Thanks hun.

~VD

little_angel

wow, i'm so jealous! that would be SUCH a fun vacation! a week in NYC AAAAAND a MAC class!! *bliss!*

have an AWESOME time and take pictures if you can!
greengrin.gif

caffn8me

This new course sounds very much like it's the Level 1 course introduced first in London. The London course includes a brush set and some sundries. I'd be surprised if the NYC course wasn't the same.

I brought pens, pencils, an eraser and a writing pad to the course. You can take a camera too. We were given M·A·C pens and writing pads on the first day of the course.

As for what else to bring, a sense if fun and a willingness to learn really help
smiles.gif

If the course is the same I'm sure you'll find it excellent. Let us know how it goes.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
As for what else to bring, a sense if fun and a willingness to learn really help
smiles.gif

Thanks Caffn8me, good advice for life in general.
smiles.gif

caffn8me

I should say don't bring any of your makeup - it's simply not necessary. We did our course in the staff training room in the basement of M·A·C's High Street Kensington store in London and we had access to M·A·C's complete product range including Pro Products.

It's probably a good idea to ask the store if you need to bring brushes. If you don't need to bring them then don't. I suspect they'll want students (many of whom will have had no experience) to use the same tools as each other - especially if the exercises are anything like they gave us in London.

IcePrincess2250

So can anyone take this? Or do you have to be in school to be a makeup artist....?

I'd love to take it -- and since I'm 20 mins from the city, why not. It'd be a great birthday/holiday treat to myself....

LadyLaundale

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_angel
wow, i'm so jealous! that would be SUCH a fun vacation! a week in NYC AAAAAND a MAC class!! *bliss!*

have an AWESOME time and take pictures if you can!
greengrin.gif

Thanks, I am so excited! I am flying in from SF, and this is my first time to NYC, plus this class will be amazing. It really is going to be an expensive, but fabulous vacation. I will definitely take pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePrincess2250
So can anyone take this? Or do you have to be in school to be a makeup artist....?

I'd love to take it -- and since I'm 20 mins from the city, why not. It'd be a great birthday/holiday treat to myself....

As far as I know, you just have to be a Pro Card member or a student Pro Card Member, as I first saw the class advertised on macpro.com. I haven't seen the class advertised on the regular maccosmetics.com website. I happened to also get a mailer for the Fall '06 Class Schedule. And when I called the store to register, they asked for my Pro Card #. My advice is to call the Pro Store in NYC directly and ask. Good luck! I would love to take this class with a fellow Specktraette.

Thanks for all the great advice and info, caffn8me!

caffn8me

The courses in London are open to absolutely anyone. I'd be amazed if the NYC course had any restrictions. It may well be fully booked by now.

The course (assuming it's like the London course) is suitable for people with an interest in makeup but no previous training.

Everyone who attended the London course gets a student Pro Card so having a Pro card isn't a prerequisite at all.

.VivaDiva.

LadyLaundale Does the mailer you received tell you the starting date oof the next 5 day course as i'm not sure if I can attend the on starting13 Nov?

LadyLaundale

Quote:
Originally Posted by .VivaDiva.
LadyLaundale Does the mailer you received tell you the starting date oof the next 5 day course as i'm not sure if I can attend the on starting13 Nov?

It doesn't. The mailer was only for the Fall '06 class schedule. Sorry!