Makeup I have done - honest feedback please?

ashley8119

The model is my sister.

if the pictures are too big, PLEASE let me know and i will be more than happy to resize them. I just thought this size would let the makeup show better.
smiles.gif

DRAMATIC.jpg

l_f65c22f7745171bd700b06c421ca62a0.jpg

AMBER222.jpg

BLUEGRAY.jpg

AMBER.jpg

Any honest feedback, constructive criticism, ANYTHING regarding my work would be very much appreciated! I have really been considering makeup artistry as a possible career path, and I would love some opinions on my work.

chynegal

what color did u use in the first pic? i like them all...but i think in the first pic u should take the eyeshadow up a little bit more

VintageAqua

Looks great! It's wonderful that you are practicing on other people as well. I'd only suggest adding a bit more blush to the looks so they are balanced and to blend the crease and brow bone shades a little more but great work.

amyzon

My honest opinion: I think you did a beautiful job, and the colors used were well chose and compliment her skin tone well. The foundation looks great.

My CC: I would have filled in the brows a bit - they're a bit sparse and it would really help to frame the face. Maybe work on blending the line between the crease color and the highlight so there's more of a gradient and less of a demarcation. And it's hard to tell b/c her hair is in her face
greengrin.gif
, but contouring/highlighting is always a really pretty way to bring out the cheekbones.

Willa

Here is my CC :

First look : I wouldnt cut the color too drastically, I would blend more between the pale and the dark color
smiles.gif

Second look : I'd fill the eyebrows
The blending looks good here, although I wouldnt bring the silver color as up to the brows, and blend it softer, to finish with a kinda nude/shimmery color

Third look : I would blend a little bit more the 2 colors and bring a little less high the ''orangey shimmery'' color, in the inner part of the eye near the begining of the brow.

I don't know if it makes sense
lol.gif

winks.gif

User38

Great job! I would have also filled in the eyebrows a bit more, as well as done some contouring on cheeks and nose. Also, a bit more blending would have tied in the whole eye area
smiles.gif

ashley8119

Thank you for your honesty. I agree that my blending could use some work. Is there a specific brush that is best for blending? I don't think the smashbox eyeshadow brush I use is quite up to par lol..

Thank you all again, your opinions are very valuable to me. I don't really have many people to ask for critiques from, because most of the people I know IRL don't know anything about makeup so they say "looks great!" and if i ask what could be improved, they say "Nothing, it's perfect!" Probably because they don't really know anything about makeup techniques or anything. These people don't really wear eyeshadow, and if they do, it's only one color! lol So I really appreciate your input!

Keep the critiques comin'!
smiles.gif
I can use all the help I can get! Ever since I originally did these looks awhile back (about 6 months ago), I have already learned quite a bit from specktra!

Willa

Right now there's the 226 LE from MAC
At MUFE, I love my 12s or 14s for bigger eyes
Pencil brushes are good for blending too
Can you show us your brushes???

Strawberrymold

I agree with everyone else. You color selection and placement is on it, you just need to blend a bit more.

I also agree that you should play around with cheek colors a bit, a good blush application, hightlight and contour can pull a look together like no one's business. Also when you sculpt the face a bit, the eyes and lips tend to pop out more as well.

Hope that helps!

amyzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley8119
Thank you for your honesty. I agree that my blending could use some work. Is there a specific brush that is best for blending? I don't think the smashbox eyeshadow brush I use is quite up to par lol..

For blending, you can't go wrong with a 224 and a 217. They are worth every penny. The 217 is great for adding color in the crease and outer corner while blending the edges at the same time, and also getting a gradient from the crease to the brow by varying the pressure you apply to the brush. The 224 is fantastic for sheering out colors and blending the edges of shadows, like between crease and the highlight. When I finally broke down and bought them, I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made to my blending, seriously
smiles.gif

glassy girl

I really like the 2nd pic i agree with filling her brows a bit. Also when i do a more dramatic eye i like 2 go softer on my lips buts thats just my opinion. But practic makes perfect im still learning new things too.

LMD84

my blending was never so hot either - until the ladies on specktra recc'd me the mac 224 brush! it's awesome! so i highlight reccomend it.

great job on the whole though
choochoo.gif

User38

Great blending brushes for eyes: 217, 222 and 224 -- for blending lines, I love the 219.

For cheeks: the 187, 138 and 182...

Try any of these and blend away to perfection
smiles.gif

tdm

Amyzon took all of my comments
winks.gif
. You did a great job! Keep borrowing your sister's face
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzon
My honest opinion: I think you did a beautiful job, and the colors used were well chose and compliment her skin tone well. The foundation looks great.

My CC: I would have filled in the brows a bit - they're a bit sparse and it would really help to frame the face. Maybe work on blending the line between the crease color and the highlight so there's more of a gradient and less of a demarcation. And it's hard to tell b/c her hair is in her face
greengrin.gif
, but contouring/highlighting is always a really pretty way to bring out the cheekbones.