Makeup That Breaks Up: The Heartbroken Club

cocomomo80

I have a palette with eyeshadows and in two of the shadows I have a dip in them (probably from a nail or two accidentally swooshed in) and I wonder how you can repair them? I have never done it before but I thought of scraping a bit from the sides and fill in the dips/holes in them but will it hold up just by "scraping" and filling or do you need alcohol or what you guys have been talking about?
Yes, you could scrape some eyeshadow from the side and lightly pat it over the dip. But then, add a small drop of rubbing alcohol (90% solution or higher) over the patch.

My definition of "a small drop" may vary based upon your need.

• If the dip is truly the size of a nail nick (approx. 1/8" or 0.3cm), then use a drop (or more, as needed), no larger than the size of this "o".
• You want to use an easy tool in which you can control for application of the alcohol. I suggest something you can find around the house like [the end of] a bobby pin, the pointed cap of an eye or lip pencil; or even just a sewing pin or needle will do. You may also use a toothpick. Anything that will allow you to create a tiny drop.
• You can pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the bottle's cap, and then dip the "tool" into the alcohol solution. Take what little liquid that's clinging to the tool and apply it to the patch. The loose powder that fills the dip will absorb the alcohol right away. You DON'T want the wet powder to become overly mushy/soggy; it should be malleable, like clay.
• Once you've added your drop(s), you can use another "tool" to gently apply pressure and to smooth out the patch. You may use the back of a spoon (but be careful - you don't want to create another nick) or anything that has a smooth, curved shape to it as a second tool. (I sometimes use a curved bottle cap)
• When it's smoothed out to your liking, let it sit and dry for about 2-3 hours in a warm place. If it's the daytime, you can leave the eyeshadow to dry in the sunlight; it dries faster.

There is also the spray method.
• You patch the dip with the eyeshadow scraped from the side.
• Mist the patch with rubbing alcohol that's been placed into a spray bottle.
• Follow my smoothing suggestion from above, and then set the damp eyeshadow out to dry.
My only issue with the spray method is that you can accidentally blow the loose eyeshadow powder out of the dip (which defeats the purpose). Trying to focus most of the mist on the patch may be a little challenging. Drying time will be extended, since the entire eyeshadow will become damp.

TIP:
• If you accidentally make your patch too soggy, no worries. Just smooth the area over, lightly (do not apply too much pressure), and set it out to dry for about 45 minutes. Come back to it after the time is up, and then apply a little pressure to the area with a folded paper towel (I usually fold my paper towel 4 times). Only pressure; NO smoothing. Set the eyeshadow out, once again, to dry for an hour or two.

The instructions may sound overwhelming (or maybe not - Lol), but the method itself is super, super easy. You've just got to do it once to get the gist of repairing...and then, it becomes less scary.

Hopefully that answered you question. Let me know if you have any issues. Good luck!

leonah

Yes, you could scrape some eyeshadow from the side and lightly pat it over the dip. But then, add a small drop of rubbing alcohol (90% solution or higher) over the patch.

My definition of "a small drop" may vary based upon your need.

• If the dip is truly the size of a nail nick (approx. 1/8" or 0.3cm), then use a drop (or more, as needed), no larger than the size of this "o".
• You want to use an easy tool in which you can control for application of the alcohol. I suggest something you can find around the house like [the end of] a bobby pin, the pointed cap of an eye or lip pencil; or even just a sewing pin or needle will do. You may also use a toothpick. Anything that will allow you to create a tiny drop.
• You can pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the bottle's cap, and then dip the "tool" into the alcohol solution. Take what little liquid that's clinging to the tool and apply it to the patch. The loose powder that fills the dip will absorb the alcohol right away. You DON'T want the wet powder to become overly mushy/soggy; it should be malleable, like clay.
• Once you've added your drop(s), you can use another "tool" to gently apply pressure and to smooth out the patch. You may use the back of a spoon (but be careful - you don't want to create another nick) or anything that has a smooth, curved shape to it as a second tool. (I sometimes use a curved bottle cap)
• When it's smoothed out to your liking, let it sit and dry for about 2-3 hours in a warm place. If it's the daytime, you can leave the eyeshadow to dry in the sunlight; it dries faster.

There is also the spray method.
• You patch the dip with the eyeshadow scraped from the side.
• Mist the patch with rubbing alcohol that's been placed into a spray bottle.
• Follow my smoothing suggestion from above, and then set the damp eyeshadow out to dry.
My only issue with the spray method is that you can accidentally blow the loose eyeshadow powder out of the dip (which defeats the purpose). Trying to focus most of the mist on the patch may be a little challenging. Drying time will be extended, since the entire eyeshadow will become damp.

TIP:
• If you accidentally make your patch too soggy, no worries. Just smooth the area over, lightly (do not apply too much pressure), and set it out to dry for about 45 minutes. Come back to it after the time is up, and then apply a little pressure to the area with a folded paper towel (I usually fold my paper towel 4 times). Only pressure; NO smoothing. Set the eyeshadow out, once again, to dry for an hour or two.

The instructions may sound overwhelming (or maybe not - Lol), but the method itself is super, super easy. You've just got to do it once to get the gist of repairing...and then, it becomes less scary.

Hopefully that answered you question. Let me know if you have any issues. Good luck!
thank you so much! I will try this later on the weekend :)