Makeup We Once Wore...

nichollecaren

lol I remember this blue lipstick that would go on pink! And the infamous mascara in the pink and green tube.

oh, and i'd like to forget the black lipliner ...ugh

User38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgjwd
there was a brand called 'Stagelight' in the 80's I'd only see at Macy's that had the most awesome bright colors...anyone remember this one?

Woolworths also sold these pigments called 'luv bug' (which I still save for nostalgia but don't use) in the little twist jars that you now get Mac samples in

I remember Haalsa and also Silkience (sp?), Gee, your hair smells terrific, Aquanet and Aerolaq hairsprays and when Balsam conditioner

They still make the lip balms with the tins (have forgotten the name but saw an advertisement for them in an article about "older" makeup) They had flavors like sour apple and watermelon

Amazing that some of these products are still around..lol.

I was a Stagelight Fiend.. most of their stuff was so far advanced I think and I have heard this too, that Frank Toscan got lots of ideas for MAC from them. Too bad they went under... I remember their shadows.. whoa.. full of pigment. They had the best kohl penciles (I still have one which was a silvery blue for the inside of the eye -- I keep it for old times sakes!). They had a great brow fix which worked wonders to keep brows in shape and they had a fantastic sealant for cake eyeliner.. sigh
ssad.gif

jmgjwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACForME
oh-my-god!!

Do i remember Toast of New York.. EVERYONE had to have that! WOW! L'Oreal had a pink duochrome-y color, Seashell I think? but everyone wore THAT too..

I remember Street Wear! LOL!!

How about those massive palettes from Ultima II?

anyone got a bottle of STIF STUFF hairspray laying around???

going to Merle Norman in the Mall was a big deal when i was in High School (ok folks, I graduated in '87)

mood lipstick was always orange on me for some reason..

Black Kajal eyeliner and some ugly purple blush from Wet N Wild..

Here is the challenge of the century.. who remembers those liner pencils, they were red, about 6 inches in length and you had to warm them up with a match or lighter before you could actually USE them.. How many of you didn't wait long enough and ended up with slight burn and a blob of liner on your eye..(yeah, i did that)

Maybelline still makes these pencils

jmgjwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
Amazing that some of these products are still around..lol.

I was a Stagelight Fiend.. most of their stuff was so far advanced I think and I have heard this too, that Frank Toscan got lots of ideas for MAC from them. Too bad they went under... I remember their shadows.. whoa.. full of pigment. They had the best kohl penciles (I still have one which was a silvery blue for the inside of the eye -- I keep it for old times sakes!). They had a great brow fix which worked wonders to keep brows in shape and they had a fantastic sealant for cake eyeliner.. sigh
ssad.gif

Alright, I had to look it up...they STILL have stagelight cosmetics (stagelightmakeup.com)!!! I wonder if they are still any good...the website is a bit annoying though

MACLovin

One product I wish they still made was L'oreal 'On-The-Loose' Shimmering Powder. Did anyone love them as much as I did??

0_9_dd2b3f8d-2ad6-49d0-9f36-d57c7e205ce4.gif

They had the prettiest shades! And they were so smooth and pigmented.. I still have about 4 or 5 of them. But the one I totally loved (Beauty Queen) spilled in an old purse and I ran out of the residue in the jar as well.. OMG it was the prettiest e/s. Like equal parts gold and like an amethyst purple very similar to Creme de Violet. I'm dying to get my hands on it again because I can't find anything that gorgeous, but it's long discontinued and hard to find on ebay.
ssad.gif

i found the color descriptions on this website.
Suze's stuff |

jennifer.

Quote:
Here is the challenge of the century.. who remembers those liner pencils, they were red, about 6 inches in length and you had to warm them up with a match or lighter before you could actually USE them.. How many of you didn't wait long enough and ended up with slight burn and a blob of liner on your eye..(yeah, i did that)

haha i think i still keep an ancient (half of) one of these in my current makeup bag that i carry with me. you know...just in case i need it! maybelline still makes them & i think the reason we all used a lighter to warm them up was because everyone (including me) failed to realize that they're eyebrow pencils, not eyeliner.
th_LMAO.gif
that's why they don't work so good as an eyeliner unless you take a lighter to it.

mdjmsj

When I was in JR High, I used to wear those Maybelline Rollerball shadows-I'd wear them from the lid to crease, I can't remember if I was wacky enough to put them below the brow...I had lime green, pastel pink and baby blue. I also wore tons of mascara and didn't mind when it smudged on the bottom because I thought it looked like eyeliner! How far I've come...

MACForME

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjmsj
When I was in JR High, I used to wear those Maybelline Rollerball shadows-I'd wear them from the lid to crease, I can't remember if I was wacky enough to put them below the brow...I had lime green, pastel pink and baby blue. I also wore tons of mascara and didn't mind when it smudged on the bottom because I thought it looked like eyeliner! How far I've come...

Wow.. do i remember something like that.. Very VERY frosty INDEED!!

MACForME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer.
haha i think i still keep an ancient (half of) one of these in my current makeup bag that i carry with me. you know...just in case i need it! maybelline still makes them & i think the reason we all used a lighter to warm them up was because everyone (including me) failed to realize that they're eyebrow pencils, not eyeliner.
th_LMAO.gif
that's why they don't work so good as an eyeliner unless you take a lighter to it.

LOL! HI-5!
Yes! YES! YES!

I guess no one remembers that eyeshadow that was supposed to be all-in-one, highliter, crease, lid, huh?

i wish I could remember the name of that damn thing..

banana1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon
How could I forget that one lipstick every girl had, HEATHER SHIMMER!

I wonder if Rimmel are ever going to bring it back, I still have my original empty container for it.

i swear they still do it hun, i work in boots and im sure ive seen it
i'll check when im at work thursday!
X

edit:its on the boots website, they still do it!

RedRibbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
i swear they still do it hun, i work in boots and im sure ive seen it
i'll check when im at work thursday!
X

edit:its on the boots website, they still do it!

lol.gif
I must go check this out! I can't believe I used to think I looked the shit wearing this. Everyone looked like a fool, we used to layer it on like no man's business. There is a photograph of my class on a trip to The Globe Theatre and we all look like aliens with frosty lips and bright blue eyeshadow on. "Good times"
lol.gif

Mabelle

white eyeliner.

I had some ridiculous silver wet and wild lipstick that i remember.
Dr Pepper lipsmackers
Blueberry pie Bonbell chapstick

MACForME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
white eyeliner.

I had some ridiculous silver wet and wild lipstick that i remember.
Dr Pepper lipsmackers
Blueberry pie Bonbell chapstick

YESSS!!!

You know what else i though of? there was this stuff, I think it was bronzer, that came is these "terra cotta" looking "pots" with loose powder inside, that stuff got EVERYWHERE..they were AWFUL!
I just can't remember the name of them!

user79

Quote:
How about those massive palettes from Ultima II?

omg I was just trying to remember the name of this brand!! Thanks for jogging my memory. I think my first actual lipstick was some really red-brown shade from Ultima that I wore in 1994 or so. I thought I was so cool. Oh god!!
th_LMAO.gif

Are they still around? I remember they were sold in drugstores in the early 90s and it was very "in", I think now it's rather hard to find but I just saw they are still sold on Amazon! wtf

RedRibbon

Quote:
YESSS!!!

You know what else i though of? there was this stuff, I think it was bronzer, that came is these "terra cotta" looking "pots" with loose powder inside, that stuff got EVERYWHERE..they were AWFUL!

I remember these! Was the lid like a goldy colour? I was about 10 I think when they came out and all the woman in my family had this. My mum still has hers on her dressing table. I remember hers was from Avon.

I'm going to try and find a pic

jmgjwd

Quote:
YESSS!!!

I believe it was called Rubiglo....Harmons used to sell it I think I saw it not too long ago

I still have one of the Ultima II palettes as they had the most beautiful taupe shadow (there were about 4 palettes and lipsticks with the set)--another one I don't use---I also have a lipstick that was my favorite and work for my HS (in 1988) from Ultima called Ripe Sienna Plum

Shypo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACLovin
One product I wish they still made was L'oreal 'On-The-Loose' Shimmering Powder. Did anyone love them as much as I did??

0_9_dd2b3f8d-2ad6-49d0-9f36-d57c7e205ce4.gif

They had the prettiest shades! And they were so smooth and pigmented.. I still have about 4 or 5 of them. But the one I totally loved (Beauty Queen) spilled in an old purse and I ran out of the residue in the jar as well.. OMG it was the prettiest e/s. Like equal parts gold and like an amethyst purple very similar to Creme de Violet. I'm dying to get my hands on it again because I can't find anything that gorgeous, but it's long discontinued and hard to find on ebay.
ssad.gif

i found the color descriptions on this website.
Suze's stuff |

Yes - I still have this!! It IS a beautiful color!!! I had a couple of other ones......alas, I haven't used it in quite some time based on the collection of MAC and MAD Minerals I've amassed, but thank you for the reminder!

DirtyHarriet

it was the 80's and KISSING POTION was king! i loved that stuff. had it in so many flavors. and now that i think back, it was such a dumb product...it was this goo like lip gloss that you rolled on to your lips (packaging was a mini version of a deodorant roll-on) and it was in glass packaging (which is not the safest for kids)...but i LUUUUVED kissing potion!

lol
smiles.gif

great thread!

rockin26

Being in Australia I don't think this brand was ever in the US but my aussie counterparts will know it but all through the 90's I wore Australis and nearly everything I had was brown from e/s to lippy to nail polish to everything!!

Another brand we had here was Red Earth and I loved their loose dusts. I actually thought a white glittery dust all over my eyes with my brown lippy looked fabulous for school! I was so deluded
ssad.gif

widdershins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
lol I remember this blue lipstick that would go on pink! And the infamous mascara in the pink and green tube.

oh, and i'd like to forget the black lipliner ...ugh

I remember that blue lipstick! I was so impressed at how it turned into shocking pink.