Maybe working on a set (HELLLLPPP!!!)

Msritajanay

okay so i got this offer to help out an old friend who is a photographer. She needs someone to do the models makeup....I REALLY want to help but i have never done makeup for an actual photoshoot. so i have some questions cause i need your help!!!
1. Is there a big difference between doing makeup for a photoshoot so that it will show up better and regular makeup??

2. when doing makeup on set, do you ask the person if they have allergies to anything?? (im scared someone may break out!!)

3. I absolutely love doing eyebrows...but how do i know if everyone is willing to allow me to tweeze their brows? or should i just use the small eyebrow shavers?

4. If you ever worked on a set, how did your first time go? what didnt you do that you wish you had have done?

5. Should i pack everything that i have in my collection??

Some of these questions may sound a little dumb but i am really nervous about this....but more excited than anything and i dont want to make any dumb mistakes! I will not start doing anything until January so this is my time to do much research on products to be ready....so tips would be gladly appreciated!!

aeni

1. Is there a big difference between doing makeup for a photoshoot so that it will show up better and regular makeup??
Yes but it really depends on the idea/concept of the shoot. Say you were doing something natural and more of a headshot - that could mean anything from spot correction to a full makeup with tattoo cover. The wrong foundation could result in a "white face tan body" situation but it really depends on the lighting and whether or not your friend will be using stobes or a flash. The wrong eyeshadows that may look pretty in person could look terrible or barely there with the lighting. Too much blush is just too much blush.

2. when doing makeup on set, do you ask the person if they have allergies to anything?? (im scared someone may break out!!)
Always.

3. I absolutely love doing eyebrows...but how do i know if everyone is willing to allow me to tweeze their brows? or should i just use the small eyebrow shavers?
Use a electronic trimmer/shaver so you don't have any redness, puffiness, or blood to worry about.

4. If you ever worked on a set, how did your first time go? what didnt you do that you wish you had have done?
Less foundation.

No. Figure out the concept, see what the model looks like, then pack accordingly.

The thing you gotta remember is it's the experience you're getting. I always check out when I get there where the photographer will be shooting, what kind of lighting and equipment, whether or not they'll be shooting in color or bw or a combo, etc.

counterobsess

Ok, I'll try to help you out, but I'm only new too!

YES - the best advice I can give is ask the photographer about the lighting. The more the subject is lit (and this includes how many flashes are used) the more it will wash out your makeup. So you may need to apply it stronger to still show up. Also look at what the subject is wearing, because if it is a low top and the skin is different colours (which can often happen with strap tans etc) you'll need to wash the foundation over the entire area for it to appear even.

ABSOLUTELY - always best to ask, and you look more professional that way.

Again - ask. Some people are funny about brows and won't want you to touch them. I wouldn't want a stranger touching my brows! Also remember that if you do any plucking the area may become red, which again you will have to cover before the shoot.

The lighting was and still is my biggest learning curve - getting the balance between the strength of the makeup and the final image. Be professional and sanitary, be as helpful as you can be, and be quick while still doing quality work. And don't be afraid to ask the photographer how your work is looking on camera, and if they would like anything adjusted. I always get my photogs to take a couple of quick snaps before they get started to check that they are happy.

Depends on how big your collection is, and what the shoot is for. If it is a natural shoot I think it would be safe to leave the glitter and rhinestones at home. Then again, if you only have a small collection then bring it all, you just never know. Nothing worse than getting caught out. Speak to the photographer about the concept for the shoot and what they're after, then be guided by that.

HTH - and have fun!!