Men and makeup? A guy needs help. :]

aGuy

Hi everyone. I'm a 22 year old guy from London.
I really need some help regarding makeup. I haven't worn any before, but I had a question about it.
I don't have many spots, but I do have a couple of flaws from my acne for about 8 years. I've only recently got over it and i'm pretty much clear now, but I want to be able to cover up some things lightly because it really affects my confidence. I have one tiny, but noticeable scar that needs to be covered, and some other tiny flaws. I also wouldn't mind being able to cover my under eye circles. I have darker Italian looking skin. I just want to have great skin so I can walk with my head held high, and not worry that people are judging me. As I said before, not having clear skin for 8 years has affected my confidence, and I want to make changes. It might sound shallow(?) to change my appearance, but it will make me happy.

This is all new to me. But I got the courage to ask my sister and she said get something from Mac.
I wanted to know what I need? There's words like concealer, foundation, powders, what types of brushes, moisturiser, that people throw around and I don't really know what to do about it. I'm planning to go to a store to get my shade later next week. I'm not looking to put on full on makeup, maybe just lightly and to cover up some flaws. If I have to cover my face then I'd like to do it lightly so it's not noticeable. Can you give me some advice please? What do you think?

And by the way - would you have a problem with a guy wearing it? Or, is it possible to do it so people don't notice?

shellygrrl

Staff member
Men wearing makeup is something that's gained a bit of popularity over the years. Some guys go all out; others just do subtle things to improve their appearance. Personally, I don't have an issue with it. I think, with many things regarding self-confidence and beauty/grooming, men and women aren't that much different from each other. I think all you really need is a concealer that matches you -- something to cover the scar and anything else that needs covering -- plus a powder to set it. The fullest coverage one is Studio Finish Concealer. When you go into MAC, you can bring up your needs with the sales associate, and zie should be able to recommend products that will work for you.

Copperhead

Hi everyone. I'm a 22 year old guy from London.
I really need some help regarding makeup. I haven't worn any before, but I had a question about it.
I don't have many spots, but I do have a couple of flaws from my acne for about 8 years. I've only recently got over it and i'm pretty much clear now, but I want to be able to cover up some things lightly because it really affects my confidence. I have one tiny, but noticeable scar that needs to be covered, and some other tiny flaws. I also wouldn't mind being able to cover my under eye circles. I have darker Italian looking skin. I just want to have great skin so I can walk with my head held high, and not worry that people are judging me. As I said before, not having clear skin for 8 years has affected my confidence, and I want to make changes. It might sound shallow(?) to change my appearance, but it will make me happy.

This is all new to me. But I got the courage to ask my sister and she said get something from Mac.
I wanted to know what I need? There's words like concealer, foundation, powders, what types of brushes, moisturiser, that people throw around and I don't really know what to do about it. I'm planning to go to a store to get my shade later next week. I'm not looking to put on full on makeup, maybe just lightly and to cover up some flaws. If I have to cover my face then I'd like to do it lightly so it's not noticeable. Can you give me some advice please? What do you think?

And by the way - would you have a problem with a guy wearing it? Or, is it possible to do it so people don't notice?

I recently came across a guy on youtube that did a "no make-up" tutorial. Maybe it's a similar look you may be going for. I think he said he's a model though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjz-1Ur2Sug

DaphneWoods

Hi everyone. I'm a 22 year old guy from London.

Sweets, everyone cares what they look like to some degree. Makeup should not be reserved for girls only. Taking pride in your appearance is self-care as far as I am concerned. You may want to try a tinted moisturizer like Laura Mercier. A BB or CC may be what you would like. Feeling good about yourself and feeling comfortable is #1. You do not have to wear full-on makeup unless you want to. Skincare is SUPER important for all humans, by the way.

Pamele

I think this is like the best makeup routine for guys (I know it's for a photoshoot, but looks so natural,
that if you feel like you need/want some makeup, it's perfect)

0.jpg

and as for scars, you'd just have to use some more of MAC Studio Finish concealer in those areas,
and that would be it, btw, scars can look pretty attractive on some guys, so no need to stress about it,
but I get where you're coming from, 'cause I also live in London, and yeah, many guys in here wear
makeup anyway, so it's not like in some coutryside, where you'd be judged or called gay or whateva ;p

(just realized how old this thread is, hahaha)