Mineral makeup looks great on me...until I apply blush. Advice?

ashk36

I love my Coastal Scents mineral foundation. The color is a perfect match, so I use it as a concealer for my little red marks/old pimple scars, too. As great as my face looks by the time I'm done with the foundation and concealing yucky spots, once I apply blush, all those little red marks that I just covered...well, the blush doesn't really stick to! So I've got little marks here and there that are just a bit lighter than my blush. Like my foundation is just showing through, and I'm kinda spotty? Hard to describe. I try to stay away from liquid foundation because I haven't broken out since I quit using it, but I'm not completely opposed to liquid concealer, as long as it's not gonna break me out or turn me orange. I don't know if I should get an actual concealer and use it with my mmu or what! What am I doing wrong? How can I get my foundation to act right with my blush?!
th_confused_new.gif

Simply Elegant

Have you tried lightly buffing in your blush with a kabuki to make it even?

If you apply too much foundation to one area and especially if your skin is a bit dry, it can stick and make your blush look splotchy so maybe you need a different moisturizer or primer.

ashk36

I have used a kabuki, but still it doesn't want to stick to certain spots. It just doesn't go on as smooth as I want it to. It's definitely splotchy. Maybe I should try a new moisturizer, I'm just so apprehensive to try new ones for fear of my face reacting badly to it.

cetati

I think priming your face with a good primer might help with the splotchy foundation issue, which will in turn help you with your blush. If you are acne-prone I would recommend Smashbox's Photo Finish in Light.

MissResha

it could be the quality of the mineral foundation. i use bare minerals, and its pretty damn creamy in texture. i use blush with it all the time with no problems.

but

try using a cream colour base and putting a blush on top of that if you are having problems.

ashk36

Quote:
I think priming your face with a good primer might help with the splotchy foundation issue, which will in turn help you with your blush. If you are acne-prone I would recommend Smashbox's Photo Finish in Light.

I hear that's not so great for acne-prone skin, actually. I dunno, kinda skeert to risk it.

Quote:
it could be the quality of the mineral foundation. i use bare minerals, and its pretty damn creamy in texture. i use blush with it all the time with no problems.

but

try using a cream colour base and putting a blush on top of that if you are having problems.

I've used bare minerals before, I just didn't like it. The stuff I use now (CS) is actually very creamy, and covers very well. But, I do apply my concealer after my foundation. I think I may try reversing that, maybe applying my concealer wet so it'll stick better, and then the foundation.

When I used to use liquid, my blush was always perfect. I think it's just the layering of concealer over foundation, it's just not wanting to stick on those spots.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will have perfect blush application again someday dammit!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
But, I do apply my concealer after my foundation. I think I may try reversing that, maybe applying my concealer wet so it'll stick better, and then the foundation.

Bingo! That's the problem. Cream to cream, powder to powder. If you use a powder blush the last surface that should come right before it is a powder, so you have to apply your concealer underneath your mineral foundation.

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Bingo! That's the problem. Cream to cream, powder to powder. If you use a powder blush the last surface that should come right before it is a powder, so you have to apply your concealer underneath your mineral foundation.

Actually, I use my foundation as a concealer. So it's powder.

BUT!! Last night, I reversed the order. I used my foundation like usual as concealer on red spots (I actually applied it wet) THEN I applied my foundation. And my blush went on fine. So basically, I'm an idiot!
yahoo.gif