Montreal Make-Up Counters

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry this post is so specific to Montreal, but I have been looking everywhere for some info about working in Montreal as a MAC artist or at another beauty counter and haven't been able to find much :)

I'm hoping to apply to a counter or free-standing store and am wondering if anyone has any advice or information on the level of French proficiency they usually expect? My diploma is from a school that is bilingual, but my class was taught about 90% in French, so I understand quite well. I suppose I'm at about an intermediate level (maybe intermediate-advanced when I'm not nervous
blush-anim-cl.gif
). I've had retail experience, but only in Ontario speaking English.

If any of you have any experience working in the city in beauty I'd appreciate it so much!

Thank you :)

jennyfee

I think as long as you can speak french you will be ok. Most clients will be french though. The hardest part is the makeup lingo :)
Also depending on the area in Montreal some places have an almost exclusively english clientele, so that may be something to look for :)

Thank you so much for your help! That's good to know :) My main concern is getting frazzled when I'm nervous and trying to speak haha. Thankfully my beauty-school did almost everything in French so I'm used to knowing the makeup lingo :) So great to hear experience from someone in Montreal! Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it!
heart2.gif

Mabelle

Try applying to the counter and stores in Pointe Claire.
The west island is a pretty English part of Montreal. You will absolutely still have french clients, but many are very patient when you fumble with your words, or are also English speakers.

Try applying to the counter and stores in Pointe Claire.
The west island is a pretty English part of Montreal. You will absolutely still have french clients, but many are very patient when you fumble with your words, or are also English speakers.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely try that :) I live in the Plateau so it would be a bit of a hike, but worth it!

Thank you for the suggestion Mabelle! I live in the Plateau, so it would be quite the hike but would be worth it! :) I also saw some postings for Make-Up Consultants at Sephora in Centre Rockland. They don't specifically say full bilingualism required but that a second language is an asset...I figured to work at such a large mall you would need to be as fluent as working downtown. Do you think so as well?

Thanks again so much for your help! :)