MUA Business Cards

Cingels

Hi! I am trying to create business cards for my Freelance MUA business.
Any pointers?
I want something that us unique and will stand out (thinking a round card instead of rectangle? but will that just be dumb??) but isnt TOO over the top that it will scare away any more conservative ppl.
My cards will be aimed towards salons,Bridal,Prom,etc etc.
Any tips? thanks!!

tarteheart

Don't do a round card; I don't think people will be inclined to keep it. Additionally, anything other than flat 3.5" x 2" cards are ridiculously expensive. Your best bet is to go for a clean, professional design and just spend extra money on using specialty colors (I like pinks, greens, teals, oranges, and purples for creative cards instead of just primary colors).

Pink_lily

a friend of mine found a website that made business cards and offered a ton of designs. she did the usual size business card, and in the background was a very light picture of a very made-up eye. in dark lighting it was barely noticeable, but it stood out when in natural light. she just had all of her info on it, and she got a lot of calls and compliments.

noteventherain

Do you already know what you're going to put on the card exactly? That's what I'm struggling with. . .figuring out exactly what to put. It'd be helpful if you could share some of your ideas for that.
smiles.gif

koolmnbv

IMO brighter colored cards stick out, like have the actual card/cardstock be a brighter color they will be more inclined to remember it and you that way. Also if they have is a stack or lots of diff. normal white buisness cards kept for estimates,choices etc. your brighter/different colored will more likely jump out at them before any of the others. It doesnt have to be lime green or neon pink but any solid color. Just my 2cents!

Lorelai

Business Cards 101 has a few tips and suggestions on how to get started. This is really useful in terms of what works and doesn't.

As far as designs are concerned, I found some cosmetic business cards on the web. The placement of text and play off color might give you some ideas for your card. Don't be afraid to have two different versions to hand out either.
Mary K
Full Color Template
Modules One

Personally, I recommend two sided business cards; image(s) of your choice on the front, information on the back. In fact, its the type of card I use.

smiles.gif

melozburngr

another fun thing to think about are business card sized (and shaped) CDs, I'm not sure how much they cost, but when I looked into them a while back they weren't totally ridiculous, and ON the CD, you could have a portfolio of images of your work
smiles.gif

.VivaDiva.

Hi there! Here is a website i found for designing business cards... you should check it out. http://gotprint.net/gotprint/welcome.do go to opton 2# Design Business cards Online. Aslo here is the link to take you straight to the beauty templates http://gotprint.net/gotprint/browseC...=1145309151393

I love to play around on there you can customise your card in anyway and play around with it. You are allowed to save as many cards as you want (you are given a free account if you wish to save your design) and they are stored for 6 months even if you dont plan to purchase. There pricing is also more than reasonable, they charge $8.85 for 250 quantity (full gloss colour) including shipping.

~VD

.VivaDiva.

This is the business card that i use and designed on there (i had the background picture slightly blurred though so that the text stands out more, you can do this by usuing the effects option)

~VD

Beautiful1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .VivaDiva.
This is the business card that i use and designed on there (i had the background picture slightly blurred though so that the text stands out more, you can do this by usuing the effects option)

~VD

This Is Freakin Hot I Am Going To Check Out The Link You Provided!
wavey.gif

aeni

My boyfriend is a graphic artist and did my cards for me. He says the best thing to buy are post card sizes as you can put more images and information on there. I personally think it's a good idea - but more expensive. You gotta spend money to make money though sometimes.

And yeah, specialty shapes are great too, but cost A LOT MORE. I was going to use a folded card in the shape of an eye shadow but it had some issues (size, cost, font size).

stacey

This isn't my MUA Business Card but my work business card. I made this on OverNightPrints.com and I'm really happy with it. I got the glossy option with the rounded corners and, IMO, it makes it more professional and elegant. I was actually thinking of another business card that folds over so when you open it up it's a pop-up picture of me, though I don't know how expensive that would get. Anyway, here it is:

FRONT
bizcard_frnt.jpg

BACK
bizcard_bck.jpg

laceface

I got a really cool funky design from Vista Print. I loved it and it was really inexpensive. While I love seeing something unique, stay with the rectangular design. It's so annoying when I've received business cards that just don't fit right in my wallet.

Also, I highly recommend paying the extra fee to have them glossy. Glossy looks so much more professional than a matte business card does. I had to reorder because I was so disappointed with the matte.

pinkvanilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceface
I got a really cool funky design from Vista Print. I loved it and it was really inexpensive. While I love seeing something unique, stay with the rectangular design. It's so annoying when I've received business cards that just don't fit right in my wallet.

Also, I highly recommend paying the extra fee to have them glossy. Glossy looks so much more professional than a matte business card does. I had to reorder because I was so disappointed with the matte.

Thank you for this
smiles.gif
I will be ordering mine from Vista Print too and was going to order the matte. Will keep this in mind when I put my order through!

counterobsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceface

I disagree - my business cards are matte and I love them. It's a very clean, classic look and I have been given lots of compliments. All depends on the style you're after.

Also, if you're going for any kind of lamination only get it on the front, so you can still write on the back (makeup shades, appointment times etc).

pinkvanilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterobsess
I disagree - my business cards are matte and I love them. It's a very clean, classic look and I have been given lots of compliments. All depends on the style you're after.

Also, if you're going for any kind of lamination only get it on the front, so you can still write on the back (makeup shades, appointment times etc).

hmmm good point too
greengrin.gif

Boasorte

Question:
Would making a funky name for your business seem too much? I am still in the process of kit building, but I also want business cards on hand now, rather than wait later.
Since this is a creative business, would that even matter?
I was thinking of keeping it simple and using my middle name which is Blaze ( yea seriously, it's weird
smiles.gif
)

pinkvanilla

Great name! I know of lots of makeup artists that use a business name rather than their own name and I don't think it makes a difference. Personal preference IMO.
smiles.gif