My Benefit Experience

MissGardner

I know there are a lot of these on here but I had to tell my story of what happened when I tried to get a job at Benefit.
Last June/July, I saw on my local counter that they were having a recruitment day in Bath, so I went down there on the train. I passed that little bit (which I assume is the same as the usual telephone interview) and got an audition back in Swindon (for the middle of August). My audition was at Debenhams and it was the same as everybody says, used the four products, did some traffic stopping etc. I actually really enjoyed it! At the end they said they would let us know by Friday.
Well, I didn't get a call on Friday so I assumed I hadn't passed, but then they called on Monday to say that I had, the lady that called me (area manager) told me that they absolutely loved me, so I was really happy about that. She said that I would be called to arrange my next interview sometime that week.
Well, again I didn't get a call when they said I would. After a while I decided to call them, but I didn't have any of the right numbers. Long story short, after about 5 phone calls to different people and three messages I finally got a call back from the counter manager arranging my interview for the next week (this was towards the end of September). After the interview she said she would call the area manager and then call me to let me know, which she did that night. She offered me the choice of two positions, one in Salisbury and one in Newbury for a new counter opening at the end of October (this had already been mentioned to us at the audition). So I called back the next day to accept the Newbury job. Then the counter manager said that she would arrange a store approval in Newbury and somebody would call me soon.
Well that was in September and I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED A CALL! I even phoned the counter manager back in December to check what was going on, and she gave me this story about how all the areas had moved around and they weren't in control of my area anymore so when I eventually got a call it would be from someone "probably called Michelle". And now it's the 21st of January and I still haven't heard anything! I sent a letter to the UK CEO but I haven't had a response. I CANNOT EXPLAIN HOW ANGRY I AM! One, I was supposed to start at a new counter opening in October but I obviously haven't, so someone else must be working there instead of me. And two, I turned down another possible job because I was supposed to be working at Benefit and when I commit to something I don't like to back out! And three, I just think it is so rude and unprofessional to treat a potential employee like this! If they didn't want me to work for them they should have just told me that. Instead they have given me the run around and I'm left in the same position I was in 7 months ago i.e. unemployed.
Honestly, before my audition I had read all the horror stories online but I still wanted to go, and I actually really enjoyed my audition and was really excited to start working there. But they obviously don't care. To anyone else considering working there - well, I wouldn't say don't try it, but just be aware that the common opinion of Benefit is that all they care about is sales and it seems like they don't give a crap about their employees.

FafiNati

I know how that one feels. I had a audition with Benefit and even though I did great with applying the products to the other girl who I auditioned with. When it came to accosting people aka pestering them to sit down I simply couldn't do it. I'm a confident girl but I'm just not pushy enough but that just wasn't good enough after an hour of agony trying to get people to sit down it just wasn't happening so they told me there and then to go home even though they sang my praises with the application and such. But their one liners were soul crushers and cringe worthy. I was basically marched through the department store and left to wait out the back for the security guard to let me out. I wasn't shown out but just told to try again in 6 months. Also one of the other girls who worked for them turned up later and smirked at me CONSTANTLY when she went and grabbed two poor unsuspecting customers from the shoe department and got them to sit down and have some tint slathered on their face. She also smirked at me when I was leaving proper smug like. Keep searching though and your dream job will crop up soon :) we both had a lucky escape. People are catching on and I have too read many a horror story on the internet unfortuneatly after my experience.

Hikaru-chan

I know how that one feels. I had a audition with Benefit and even though I did great with applying the products to the other girl who I auditioned with. When it came to accosting people aka pestering them to sit down I simply couldn't do it. I'm a confident girl but I'm just not pushy enough but that just wasn't good enough after an hour of agony trying to get people to sit down it just wasn't happening so they told me there and then to go home even though they sang my praises with the application and such. But their one liners were soul crushers and cringe worthy. I was basically marched through the department store and left to wait out the back for the security guard to let me out. I wasn't shown out but just told to try again in 6 months. Also one of the other girls who worked for them turned up later and smirked at me CONSTANTLY when she went and grabbed two poor unsuspecting customers from the shoe department and got them to sit down and have some tint slathered on their face. She also smirked at me when I was leaving proper smug like. Keep searching though and your dream job will crop up soon :) we both had a lucky escape. People are catching on and I have too read many a horror story on the internet unfortuneatly after my experience.
Just out of curiosity which store was it that you had your interview in?
The way you've described it it sounds very much like the same store i work in (Benefit is right next to the shoe department and they are forever recruiting)

Dominique33

Benefit belongs to a huge company LVMH. I guess it's hard to work for them, here in France it's not so easy either, but few girls/women have heard of Benefit ( except beauty addicts ), they don't even know that the nose behind the brand is the Dior nose, François Demachy. Urban Decay might join the LVMH company as well, maybe they're on the way I don't know. But people who work for Benefit or UD here are not satisfied with their managers, LVHM = Sephora, Dior, Guerlain, Benefit etc..
Well, I hope you are going to find a solution or another job ?