My eyeshadow makes my eyes look half closed

sofabean

For some reason, when I put on a lot of eyeshadow (mainly any dark/semi-dark colors) my eyes look like they're half closed... or like I have sleepy eyes or something. I try using eyeliner to make them look bigger, but it doesn't help that much. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make my eyes look bigger and more open?

nTrain

Do you use the faux crease technique? People with asian eyes (or small eyes) have to put the crease color where the eye socket ends, not the actual crease of the eye. That way your eyes look bigger and more opened. Also, if you are doing something smokey where you want a darker look, put the darkest color close to the lashes and then a lighter color on the lids and brow. I don't know if that helps at all.

Fairybelle

For a wide awake look:
Give a good sheer wash of shimmery light e/s to the entire eye area with a color like Stila Kitten e/s or MAC Shroom e/s
Close to the lashline, give a bit more depth with MAC Patina e/s. Wing out slightly for a more cat-eye look. Don't put in crease--that is probably causing the lids to look heavy. Keep the crease free of dark e/s and keep the darker e/s closer to your lashline!
Tightline top lashes with MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack. Try to get the line as close to the lashes as possible.
Apply MAC Prep&Prime Lash to lashes, let set for approx 30 seconds, apply MAC Fiber Rich Mascara in Black
Optional (but rec): Curl top lashes with eyelash curler.
Lower waterline: MAC Eye Kohl in Fascinating (white)
HTH!

That's very common especially with dark colors. You probably already have a smaller eye as it is so you don't want to do many dark colors. Eyeliner will close the eye as well, especially if you line the bottom of your eye. If you like doing the bottom only go halfway into the eye from the outer corner. Using a lighter eyeliner color on the bottom of your eye then what you used on the top is great for opening up your eyes as well. I suggest using a brown eyeliner, if you don't like brown do a thin black line and smudge it in, and stick with neutral to lighter eyeshadows, they will brighten up the eye. Use a shimmery white eyeshadow highlight from the lid to the brow and a little bit around the tear duct area to really open up those eyes. Then I would use a light shade and just follow the crease of your eye, you can even go all over the lid with the light shade. You do not HAVE to use dark shades in your eye crease. Use a light shade will make them pop and look wide open, especially after you curl your eyelashes and put some mascara on them. You don't want to go heavy on eyeshadows or eyeliner that will always close the eye.

Good luck!!

Alyssa
Esthetician
Youngblood Makeup Artist

Kuuipo

Lighter on the lid.
Deeper on the bone just above where the eyelid crease is.
Skip the liner on the upper lash line, do the lower lash line.
Big, big curled lashes.
This is the look I used to use when I was modeling and the photog needed "huge" eyes.