Need Manager Advise

wendyurq

So girls, I need some advise.

I just got hired at a cosmetics counter as a manager. I have no cosmetics/manager experience AT ALL. The last 4 years Ive had a desk job. So, I know this is going to be a whole new ball game.

Basically, I was told I need to build up the brand again since the counter went downhill a year ago when all the staff left. Gotta work on sales and bringing the people in. Organize events. Gift with purchase. She also said I'll have to do call outs. Now, call outs I can do... its been the basis of my current job so no problem there.

What I want to know is what is the best way to go about bringing this counter out of the ashes. Makeup is and always has been my first passion so I know Ill have no issue with my enthusiasm for the job, I'm just worried that without any cosmetics and managerial experience, Ill suck at the job. Also, I'll be the only one working this counter, so I wont have any of the employees to help me out.

Any advice would rock!!

LC

Hey - I was told the same thing when I first became a counter manager because the girl before me did a horrible job.

Try to plan events every 6 weeks. Make up fun and attracting things like a beach theme, or something like that. I always just made my events makeover events because I found it to attract the most people. I'd set up time slots and have people sign up for which time they wanted. What I personally did was created invites (using the store's computer, paper and ink of course) to give to every customer I could, You really try to build up that event as much as possible. Then a few days before each event, I'd create a few facecharts, and as my customers showed up, i'd give them options showing them the facecharts. I'd also order extra samples and create little goodie bags for everyone who showed. I also called everyone who signed up a couple days before to confirm with them.

Creating a GWP event is a great way to bring in business, but usually those have to be set up within your line's corporate department. However, if you're somehow able to do it, then go ahead. Talk with your regional manager about your idea and most likely he/she will be able to get you some product for the GWP.

As far as call backs, I always called people anytime something new came out or to tell them about my upcoming event.

All in all I brought my counter up about 200%

Hope this helps..