need tips on getting faster

User38

I do consulting which means not only applications but also total makeovers and since I work for myself, that means I don't make any money if I "over" spend time.

If I don't gauge my time, I don't make money. So, as in all businesses, there is a balance between time = perfection = money. One can be a great artist but if you only do one job a week, it is not worth your time.

As for time savers, I will prep skin as needed and then proceed with eyes application (I spend about 60% of time on eyes as this is the major concentration of a look for me). After eyes, I go to primers,concealers, foundation, blush/ msf products/ powders, and finally do lips.

I think that the only way to really do a great job and do it perfectly is to have a method, be well organized (all brushes, sponges clean and ready and in order of use), and keep a method to the entire application.

Hope this helps out a bit
smiles.gif

User67

First off you do really beautiful work! As far as advice on how to work faster, keep it basic. I find that the people at my counter who take the longest with make-up application are the ones who grab like 7 different shadows & they always try to do the most dramatic eyes, highlight contour the face, etc. I myself keep it pretty simple, I rarely use over 4 shadows & I don't worry about trying to make every customer look different. Especially if they aren't sure what they want. I have a few no brainer combinations in my head that I will go to. The only time I go over 30 minutes is when I have a really picky customer. I hope I maybe helped a little. I remember when I first started one of my managers used to tell us that especially around prom time that we didn't need to have a "Kevin Aucoin moment" with every customer lol!

II3rinII

^^hahaha i love that "a kevyn aucoin moment!" thats soooo me!! i am the one who grabs 8 shadows and contours and highlights hahahaa opps, my bad, i ljust love what i do and want people to be beautiful. also what ive noticed is the girls at my counter that are quicker have stations that look like theyve been hit with a hurricane. mascara tubes, blacktrack and gloss are all sitting with the caps off, tissues and brushes are everywhere, i cant work like that. i keep a neat area, i take the extra few seconds to screw back on the lids of everything so they dont dry out. i know i should try to 'dumb down my looks" a bit, but i feel like people come to mac for a reason and i dont want a customer to leave thinking "well i couldve down this myself". my customers always love their look too, so thats a plus. but i think i need to stop treating everyone like a fashion shoot. i just dont want to compromise my art or the knowledge im giving them. also i notice while doing my cousins wedding, the first few girls i took my time on, making them beautiful, chit chatting with family, but when crunch time came, im clamed up and busted out both the bride and mother of the bride in less than 30 minutes (with lashes!). so its like when i know im russhed, i just kick it in to overdrive. i guess i should just treat everyone like i only have 15 minutes to go.

xStarryEyedX

It always used to help me to make sure all my brushes were clean during down-time (to make sure I didn't have to worry about it when a customer was sitting in front of me). It also helped to do eyes before face. I hate doing makeup that way, but it does speed up the process. Other than that, why rush? I mean unless the store is ridiculously packed..it's an art. You can't rush art =).

Ruby_Woo

Also, it helps to wear your wrist watch. So I am looking at the time, and I know when Im laggin behind. For this prom season we are being asked to do 30 mins appt. because we are gonna be having sooo many walk-ups.

I agree w/ Nadya about having your basic looks in your head already. Like I have the simplest smokey eye down, and pretty sparkly browns too. I think once you have those in your head you'lll be good. I have a basket near by to put product the customer wants, and also to dump my mess in and go around and put it back.

Hope this helps!
smiles.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
^^hahaha i love that "a kevyn aucoin moment!" thats soooo me!! i am the one who grabs 8 shadows and contours and highlights hahahaa opps, my bad, i ljust love what i do and want people to be beautiful. also what ive noticed is the girls at my counter that are quicker have stations that look like theyve been hit with a hurricane. mascara tubes, blacktrack and gloss are all sitting with the caps off, tissues and brushes are everywhere, i cant work like that. i keep a neat area, i take the extra few seconds to screw back on the lids of everything so they dont dry out. i know i should try to 'dumb down my looks" a bit, but i feel like people come to mac for a reason and i dont want a customer to leave thinking "well i couldve down this myself". my customers always love their look too, so thats a plus. but i think i need to stop treating everyone like a fashion shoot. i just dont want to compromise my art or the knowledge im giving them. also i notice while doing my cousins wedding, the first few girls i took my time on, making them beautiful, chit chatting with family, but when crunch time came, im clamed up and busted out both the bride and mother of the bride in less than 30 minutes (with lashes!). so its like when i know im russhed, i just kick it in to overdrive. i guess i should just treat everyone like i only have 15 minutes to go.

tong.gif
My station ALWAYS looks like a display exploded! I do however replace caps on gloss, mascara and liners, though...that's just asking for contamination. Come to think of it, when I am drawing or painting, I make a mess too.
shockt.gif

II3rinII

one of my co-workers is really messy, its become a joke between us now. like one day i didnt have much couter space for a demo and it got kinda cluttered and my manager walks by and says "whoa! your staring to look like kendra over here". and one day she was doing a face chart and there was supplies strewn across the counter and our manager asked "so does this just happen with everything you touch?". her locker overflows with shoes and memos and skittles. i cant believe how messy this chick is, but i love her.