New York - help :)

Willa

Hello hello
smiles.gif

So I was thinking about going to NYC between december 28th to january 1st. I still don't know how many people we will be, probably 2 or 3, and we can sleep one night at a hotel for sure but the second night we don't know yet where.

Could anyone give me tips for what I could do to make this easier? Can we stay in a cafe for a while, like 2 or 3 hours sipping on a loooonnngggg coffee? hahah

Is there any 24h open places?
It's all a question of budget...

Thank you
choochoo.gif

Chic 2k6

Virgin Megastore in times square are open until 2am. (couple of days closes at 1am) so you could browse in there for a while then hit up every open store in the city!

Willa

That's a good idea!
th_DANCE.gif

I really want to go back to NYC and since I don't really have anything planned after the 24th, I thought it would be a cool idea to go there, see some people. I love that city
smiles.gif

Dizzy

There are plenty of places open 24 hours, but what part of the city are you staying in? I might be able to give you some recs. Guaranteed you'd be able to find a diner or something to hang out all night in- I've done it before. I'm horrible about catching the train home, so i've had to do this many times, haha.
smiles.gif

Ciara

NYC is the city that NEVER sleeps....you shouldnt have a problem finding stuff to do.
Times Square is always an option...all the lights, people, the action.
Def plenty of shopping and restaurants.
Check out the MAC Pro Store too.

Willa

Thank you all for the recommandations!
I'm still thinking about going

There's an hotel in Lyndhurst NJ, its about 15 min in bus (the terminus is in the port authority bus station), I did it twice and its easy, but it's at least 150$ per night. So I would sleep there on the night of the 30, and the night of the 31st I would stay in the city with the people, try to find some place like a restaurant or maybe a pub/bar where I could chill a little and maybe chat with the people. I'm an easygoing person so it's not difficult for me to fraternise with strangers
smiles.gif

I still don't know if I want to go on the 29th or the 30th...
I love the city sooo much hahaha, and since I never really travelled, it would be a gift from me to me.

So I would stay in Manhattan, probably visit a little some places, like this record store on Bleecker, last time I bought some records (yeah I'm still listening to vynils hahah) and probably take a stroll in central park...

I was thinking about couchsurfing, is it safe enought...

Dizzy

It sounds like you've got yourself a good plan there, but this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
probably take a stroll in central park...

makes me want to give you a heads up- being from NY my advice is do NOT be in the park when it's dark. Enjoy it during the day, it's much better at that time anyway.
smiles.gif

And as for couchsurfing- I'm a bit jaded since I'm not a fan of NYC. I've lived here (meaning either in the city or within spitting distance) long enough to experience both sides of it- and quite frankly, couchsurfing in the city would scare the crap out of me. There are too many shady characters in the city that I've met in public places, nevermind me finding one by walking into their home. But that's up to you.

Willa

Hahah I see, about the couchsurfing, I'm a little bit hesitant on that one anyway.

And I would NEVER go in the park during the night, nooooo way!

Dizzy

Have you thought about staying in a hostel instead? I mean, they definitely have their drawbacks, no privacy, sleeping in a bunk with a bunch of other people, cleanliness is sometimes an issue, etc. but they might be a better option for you, especially if it's only for one night.

There's one on Amsterdam Ave., if I'm not mistaken, that's good if you want to take a look into that; but there are quite a few in the city if you want to 'shop around'.

Bgirl17lovesMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
It sounds like you've got yourself a good plan there, but this

makes me want to give you a heads up- being from NY my advice is do NOT be in the park when it's dark. Enjoy it during the day, it's much better at that time anyway.
smiles.gif

And as for couchsurfing- I'm a bit jaded since I'm not a fan of NYC. I've lived here (meaning either in the city or within spitting distance) long enough to experience both sides of it- and quite frankly, couchsurfing in the city would scare the crap out of me. There are too many shady characters in the city that I've met in public places, nevermind me finding one by walking into their home. But that's up to you.

I must agree, soooo true!!

Willa

Ho yeah I checked for hostelling, but there is no place anymore
thmbdn.gif

I checked for the hotel I know, and if I go on the 28th and 29th instead of 30th to the 1st, I would save 60$!