No feedback?

Jude

Specktra has been some hotbed of controversy lately! if I may chime in on my two cents because well, I need to get involved in all things drama...hehe.

I belong to a lot of makeup comms and each one is unique in the way it's members treat eachother. Two of which are rating communities where one must apply to join. These communities take brutal honesty to the extreme. For example, when I applied to one particular site, I was told that my bottom lip was annoying. People are told that their makeup looks like shit or they are just chastised in general for not having the right techinique. That is par for the course though and I do find value in those communities because those girls are tough, and force you to be on your game when you post there. That is my opinion though, some people don't like those types of communities because of the deemed negativity.

Every site has a cerain atmosphere about it and to me, Specktra holds an atmosphere of sisterhood and encouragement. This is the second thread in which I read where Neophyte mentioned gumdrops and lollipops. I don't think of it in that way. I think it is kindness that drives a lot of the women on this site to get behind a person with questionable application and build up the good points of the app. You can go about it in two ways. You can either tell someone that they look like shit; thereby forcing them to take a hard look at themselves and improve their application. Or you can give them encouragement by applauding them on the work they have achieved, leaving the person feeling good about themselves and what they have done. With that, the person is encouraged to keep at it and their app will improve with practice. Personally, if I see a questionable application (and lets keep in mind that no matter what the application looks like, effort went into it and a leap of faith was taken to post it) I either don't say anything or I focus on something positive.

Because every site is different, I tend to conduct myself according to the general tone of the site. If I am in an LJ ratings site, I will be more direct with my comments regarding someone's makeup (and I am never rude, by the way. All comments are constructive!) I will tell someone that the blending is off or the lipstick is not working or whatever but the reason I do it there and not so much here is that those girl's understand the purpose of that type of community and post their pics for the sometimes not so pretty opinion from the members. At Specktra, however, I don't do that so much. I focus on the positive and throw in a few tips.

It is different here. For the most part, people are not rude to eachother. People are more encouraging to one another. I respect that enough to conduct myself in the manner which fits the site. It has nothing to do with conformity either. There is a time and aplace for everything, ya know?

Kindess, friendship and encouragment does not make this site a gumdrops and lollipop site where people blow smoke up eachothers asses. It just is what it is.