Northern Illinois University Shooting: Again? Why?

BloodMittens

I don't post much on here anymore, but now I feel that I need to:

Gunman injures 17 students in shooting at Illinois university | World news | The Guardian

FOXNews.com - Former Student Guns Down 5 in Attack at Northern Illinois University; Kills Self - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

I don't know if this belongs in deep thoughts or chatter but in all reality it doesn't matter.

My small town just got over a shooting of 5 women in a Lane Bryant store not more than two weeks ago. In which case I was in the Target right across the street when it happened, police with guns coming in while I was trying to shop with my niece and boyfriend isn't exactly all fun and games.

And now more? What the- why!?

And to think, this is the school I was/am planning to go to in Fall 2008. ~sigh~ Sad...

lvgz

i hope the injured ppl recover quickly, and the ones killed-- may they rest in peace. its a tragedy.

CantAffordMAC

this is crazy.
cry.gif

xmrsvindieselx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMittens

My small town just got over a shooting of 5 women in a Lane Bryant store not more than two weeks ago. In which case I was in the Target right across the street when it happened, police with guns coming in while I was trying to shop with my niece and boyfriend isn't exactly all fun and games.

This is horrible. I will never understand some people. I dont know what I would have done if I was at that target. or Lane Bryant( since I work at one!)

trollydolly

what i dont understand is why this is happening so frequently in the us and not in the uk or other european countries. i know that we have different gun laws but im sure if people here want to get hold of guns they can. so my question is what is happening in society in america that is making people turn to violence...?

blazeno.8

1) They know they can get attention.
2) Also, America is in many ways a more conservative country than many of the other countries I've been to and it could be that pressure is released in a different way in Europe than it is in the US.
3) Also, the copy cat thing has caught on here. Even the (Swedish/Finnish?) boy who brought a gun to school had connection with a troubled American youth who wanted to copy some of the other school shootings.
4) The last thing I can think of is that in Europe at least, there's an attitude to pick up what is perceived as desirable American behavior and make it in some way "European" or non-exclusively American and to make any non-desirable American behavior exclusively American. Now why it doesn't happen in Canada? dunno.