online radio

choseck

My computer basically threw up on itself about a week ago, and I just got a new one this weekend. I had a bunch of songs downloaded - but had no way to transfer them to my new computer, so I basically have to start all over. Thing is, I really don't want to redownload everything.

Can anyone recommend any good internet radio sites that are free? I like a variety of types of music - let me know if there is anything out there. I hate commercials - and I love variety - so I'm very disappointed about not having my playlist. And I'm also not sure I really want to download the songs again either.

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Pandora and webjay are both good in my opinion.

thanks,i'll check them out

Beauty Mark

Live 365. iTunes has a lot of radio stations listed. You have to download the program, but it doesn't take up that much space.

macslut

I don't have a recommendation for internet radio (I have XM which I pay for) but have you contacted the Geek Squad at Best Buy? They can transfer your files from your old computer to your new one. You have to pay but it may be worth it.

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
I don't have a recommendation for internet radio (I have XM which I pay for) but have you contacted the Geek Squad at Best Buy? They can transfer your files from your old computer to your new one. You have to pay but it may be worth it.

i was going to do that, but i didnt want to pay the $100 and i'm not entirely sure they would have been able to do it with my computer - it was pretty well shot. In the long run though, it might have been worth the money!

IslandGirl77

I like Shoutcast, but you have to download Winamp to use it. Winamp is free though I also use Winamp for my iPod. It has a section for your iPod and you just drag and drop your songs on.

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
I like Pandora too!

I've added a lot of stuff to Pandora, but I barely know any of the songs that it comes up with! Maybe I should be adding songs instead of artists? And I thought when it came to music I had knowledge of a lot of stuff!

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by choseck
i was going to do that, but i didnt want to pay the $100 and i'm not entirely sure they would have been able to do it with my computer - it was pretty well shot. In the long run though, it might have been worth the money!

It would depend on how much you had on the computer. Sorry about your files. That really does suck. On the new one, it might be worth backing up your files onto something external. They sell hard drives like that now. I am by no means an expert so best bet would to go to Best Buy.

Beauty Mark

External hard drives are the best! I own one. You can large ones (mine is 120 GB) for very little (mine was under $100, and it wasn't the cheapest one- I bought it for the looks).

www.cnet.com has great reviews external hard drives.

xbeatofangelx

Yes... It's not difficult to transfer your files at all. You could put them on a cd or a disk even, or a usb flash drive... just some kind of external memory. I know you can get a 2 gb sd card for about $60, and you could always return it after you transfer your files =p (not a nice thing to do)

Chic 2k6

You can download Podcasts from iTunes store for free, you get to choose any show you fancy.

I recently downloaded The Plan Nine Rock Show and Talking Metal lol both play awesome rock songs

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeatofangelx
Yes... It's not difficult to transfer your files at all. You could put them on a cd or a disk even, or a usb flash drive... just some kind of external memory. I know you can get a 2 gb sd card for about $60, and you could always return it after you transfer your files =p (not a nice thing to do)

trust me, i tried - i couldn't do it with my computer. it literally took me 20 minutes just to open the file. there was no way i was going to be able to do more than that! but its okay - i'm using Pandora now and I love it - and i don't have to worry about not being 'legal'

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeatofangelx

trust me, i tried - i couldn't do it with my computer. it literally took me 20 minutes just to open the file. there was no way i was going to be able to do more than that! but its okay - i'm using Pandora now and I love it - and i don't have to worry about not being 'legal'