Over & Under: Whose products are worth the hype (and whose aren't)

katred

Specktra Bestie
So we all hear/ read the buzz on beauty products, whether we buy into it or not, but which products really don't get the respect they deserve and which ones have you found to be oversold based on what you've experienced? Feel free to add any products that you like to the list- here are a few of mine.

LIPSTICK

Overhyped- YSL Rouge Volupte. I don't get it. I really don't. They dry my lips. They bleed. I can't handle the smell.
Underhyped- YSL Rouge Pur Couture. I don't hear enough about these incredible, satiny shades, especially considering the incredible range of shades available.

BLUSH

Over- This is probably going to get me bounced from Specktra, but I don't feel that Chanel's Joues Contrastes formula (the baked one is what we get in Canada) performs well enough to justify its price and status. I really like some of the shades, but they rarely last on me. Doesn't mean I won't buy them again, but it does mean that when I buy them, I consider that I'm going to end up reapplying throughout the day.

Under- Guerlain's blush duos swatch terribly, but on the face, they're lovely. The combination of colours allows for a customized look and more flexibility for each product. Dior's new blush line seemed to get lost a bit in the Fall launches as well, which is sad, because I've now purchased three and I love all of them.

MASCARA

Over- Diorshow. It's nice, but it's not all that.

Under- YSL make my favourite mascaras and they don't get a lot of attention, but I have to say that I've had decent experiences with Mac mascaras, which get shot down all the time, so I'd say they're the ones that get the least respect for their quality.

I guess that's enough to get things started- feel free to add as many categories as you want!

pinkpaint

Good thread idea, Katred :)

Overhyped:
EOS Lip Balm! This stuff made my lips drier! I saw them all over Youtube and had to try them. Terrible.
Nars Galapagos and Mekong: They look beautiful in the pan but I don't think that I have ever worn them out. For me, the golden sparkle just doesn't translate the same on the eye. And they were $24 each smh.
Aqualina Pink Sugar: I don't think anyone here wears this lol, but in high school I really wanted it because all the teenage Youtubers were wearing it. I went to Ulta and I literally gagged when I smelled it. I've since learned that overly sweet scents are awful on me (Went through this with Viva La Juicy and, later, Prada Candy, as well).

Underhyped:
Stila eyeshadows. These were the first that I ever bought, right when I was getting into makeup. 95% are very pigmented and smooth. I bought them for $6 a piece from All Cosmetics Wholesale.
Tarina Tarantino products: I've only bought the eyeliners and pigments because I HATE the packaging. It's too over the top for me. I love the eyeliners. I stocked up when they were on sale before they left Sephora and then I just saw them at Nordstrom Rack for $5 each. I only got 2, because I'm trying to be good, but I may go back lol. The pigments are beautiful, too.

Just Enough hype:
Benefit's They're Real Mascara: I have really long thick lashes (the one perk of being hairy, I guess lol) so it takes a lot for a mascara to impress me. I just never saw much of a difference until I tried this. It really does make it look like I'm wearing natural, false lashes.
Nars Blushes. I have 9 now. I haven't bought one that I don't love. I can only buy a couple a year, but they're well worth the price, to me.